HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by verticalspark, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:33 AM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
stay away from the small .380s ... the recoil on them are almost unbearable. Are you stuck on semi-auto? Have you considered a .38 wheel gun?
I have looked at them but the wife doesent like the way revolvers sit in her hand. I think the lc9 is going to be a winner after the trip to the shop. I still have to go with her to the other gun shop to make the final decision on what she wants.

And as for walking around necked...there is really only one place to carry and its not that fun
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Rocket Crash
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:19 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,449 Posts
Be sure to try them out at the range before purchasing. One round from a light 9mm and she (or you) may not want to deal with the recoil. I'd rather shoot my .44 mag Super Blackhawk than the PF-9 with defensive loads. It's a real handfull but it's designed to be carried, not shot on a regular basis. My S&W 2" Model 60 .38sp is a pussycat by comparison and will still do the job just fine.
Snubby .38sp revolvers are about the best, imo. You can customize the grips for any hand.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:49 PM
Joined Oct 2008
4,100 Posts
That's the reason she loves the 9m glock 17. She likes to shoot it. I am going to look for a range that rents guns around here.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:00 PM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,314 Posts
Conceal carry? Twice through the class but still haven't "pulled the trigger". With whispers of BO looking to have us register our weapons ... I again rethink my necessities.

Besides my concern of personal freedoms..

This recent round of 'training' I learned I can't have a gun on school grounds OR even in my car regardless of certification. I drive to my daughters school everyday. Without parking off school grounds I can't have one near me.

So .. I want one but don't need one. If I could convince my wife to carry I would. You are lucky to have a wife that even likes much less understand them.
Pudknocker71 is offline Find More Posts by Pudknocker71
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:05 PM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,314 Posts
PS... Just installed a Bio-safe .... finger print driven. Access to my primary weapon in about 5 seconds.

Barska Bio Safe (0 min 10 sec)
Pudknocker71 is offline Find More Posts by Pudknocker71
Last edited by Pudknocker71; Nov 29, 2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:21 PM
Joined Oct 2008
4,100 Posts
She didn't really like shooting till I got a Ruger 10/22 and a compensated glock. Then she started to like to shoot to relieve stress. Now she just likes to shot and wants a gun herself. I I lobe her.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:37 PM
FPV FTW!!
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Oct 2011
651 Posts
I know my post is a bit late, but for what its worth, I would say a Glock 17 may be a bit too big for a girl to carry/employ effectively (of course this is purely an assumption, the ultimate decision lies in how comfortable she is with the weapon). I personally carry a Glock 19 and love it. Its fairly easy to conceal, my hand fits it perfectly, and the recoil is easy to manage, making fast and accurate shots easy.

On a side note, but of no less importance (and being military you probably already know this): it doesn't matter if you carry or not if you don't ever train with it. When you do train with your weapon, you will lose what you trained in just over 2 weeks, if not less. Its a perishable skill. Practice every day. Practice just part of your weapons presentation, such as getting your hand on it. Repetition is priceless. I spent 6 years in the Marines as a designated marksman and did a tour in Iraq back in 06. I practice every day for at least 5 minutes of just drawing, putting the sights on target, and the trigger pull (with dummy rounds of course). 5 minutes may not seem like a lot, but you would be surprised how effective it is. Don't believe me? Do some research. Even a lot of police officers suffer from sub par effectiveness in their shooting and weapons handling because they only train a few times a year.
Rexnoobs247 is offline Find More Posts by Rexnoobs247
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Oct 2008
4,100 Posts
Completely agree with the training aspect. I have seen officers shoot at targets at the range and I honestly wouldnt trust my life in their hands. Not saying they are all that way but it was enough to scare me.

Personally, we go shooting every other weekend when possible. I like to blow off steam and get better at what I see as important.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:10 PM
FPV FTW!!
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Oct 2011
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalspark View Post
Personally, we go shooting every other weekend when possible. I like to blow off steam and get better at what I see as important.
Thats the attitude! I wish I had the time to go shooting that often, I need to get more range time. In light of that fact, however, I stay on top of my dry runs with dummy rounds.
Rexnoobs247 is offline Find More Posts by Rexnoobs247
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Sep 2006
896 Posts
XD-9 Subcompact if you want a 9mm
hazegry is offline Find More Posts by hazegry
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:56 AM
So Cal
Joined May 2008
2,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalspark View Post
Completely agree with the training aspect. I have seen officers shoot at targets at the range and I honestly wouldnt trust my life in their hands. Not saying they are all that way but it was enough to scare me.
You mean like this?
Quote:
9 shooting bystander victims hit by police gunfire
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/25...olice-gunfire/
flyzwell is offline Find More Posts by flyzwell
Last edited by flyzwell; Jan 01, 2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:09 PM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,449 Posts
Btw, there are a number of threads just like this in Life, The Universe and Politics. http://www.rcgroups.com/life-the-uni...d-politics-22/

mw
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:41 PM
So Cal
Joined May 2008
2,633 Posts
I didn't mean to be political. Just a response to the person I quoted.
Btw, I own several guns, just never felt the need to carry.
flyzwell is offline Find More Posts by flyzwell
Last edited by flyzwell; Jan 01, 2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:54 PM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,449 Posts
SoCal carry permits are about as numerous as hen's teeth.
Working on mine in Kern County.

mw
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:07 PM
Joined Oct 2008
4,100 Posts
I can open carry in Colorado
RCG Plus Member