HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2012, 08:04 PM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,633 Posts
Discussion
NZ INT. DS Week - Planning Thread

I have had several suggestions from varying people as to DS Week here in NZ. So lets look at making it happen.

First big question is what time of year suits people the best? December seems the best time for wind and peoples ability to get away from work.

We have good NW and NE winds that time of year, so the Wainui site and the new Tekapo site will be cranking.

I know we haven't proven the Tekapo site yet, but we have access to the top, like Weldon, via the track the Hang Gliders take to fly up at the same site! And it has the biggest wind in the country, 2.5 hours from my home in CHCH.

Sooo wind probability for ChCh: http://www.windfinder.com/windstats/...ristchurch.htm

Those stats are for the airport and not of the Peninsula where Wainui is. Probability of wind out there on any given day is around 80% the entire year round!

I have counted 7 proven DS sites within a hours drive of ChCh, and then heading further afield, Tekapo 2.5 hours drive, Cragieburn 1.5hours drive, heading up further north the option of French Pass which would be 5 hours drive, but would be good to stay with a family or have a bit of a holiday in Nelson

So the sites are here. Just need you guys! We have at least three DS guys that can provide transport and accommodation.

Just tell me what time suits and I'll make arrangements
Alex
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ALEX HEWSON; Sep 10, 2012 at 01:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2012, 09:03 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,051 Posts
I wanna go! Whenever it is windiest is best I think. December then?
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
Old May 18, 2012, 09:13 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,633 Posts
Well we can get a big wind event at any time throughout the year, just a matter of figuring out what time is more likely. December/January will have most chance of getting more wind more often for a given time period, and I think that is all we can go on. December is what I have heard is best time for people to get time off to come over.

I will do as much research as I can to find trends over last few years
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2012, 06:52 AM
R.I.P
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,500 Posts
Dec/Jan suits me perfect! Plus it will be nice and warm then- dont forget there will be queenslanders coming!
josh18 is online now Find More Posts by josh18
Old May 19, 2012, 10:25 AM
407mph P.B...Going 4 500mph!
Parker Mtn / Valencia, CA
Joined Feb 2006
783 Posts
Man sounds like this would be a blast! I need to start saving now then! haha

If I go I might have to take one day off and and get a guide out there cause I heard you guys have some epic fishing and huge fish!

Sooo stay 2 weeks maybe, hows the price of motels etc to stay......I'm gonna get a rough idea and check some flights too for around that time.
_Sloper is offline Find More Posts by _Sloper
Old May 19, 2012, 11:22 AM
DS state of origin NSW Vs QLD
Joined Jul 2009
1,371 Posts
The NSW Aussie Contungent will be there,

That includes you Ezza, You still live in NSW dont forget mate, You belong to us hehehe.
Even though those QlDers always lure you over the border.

Pete
Forrest12 is offline Find More Posts by Forrest12
Old May 19, 2012, 06:16 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,635 Posts
Definitely keen to be part of the action, drag that big coreflute box in and out of some airports, see some great NZ scenery and wave a video camera in some big dogs' faces. And hopefully get my own PB up too! Reckon I'll probably be there but it does depend on work projects and family.

Flights are weird ... I did think of going to see Alex early this year and the flights weren't cheap. But they were much cheaper if you looked at the Air New Zealand website and got the prices by booking as if you were a NZer. Then about a month later (early March) there were massively discounted flights advertised everywhere.

Unlike the US, Christmas is our BIG holiday period ... the "Silly Season". I expect it will be pretty heavily booked with people crisscrossing the Tasman for holidays or to see family (since most NZ's original population now lives over here). Sorry to be pessimistic ...worth asking a travel agent... but I think it unlikely that there will be really cheap flights either side of Christmas and New Year, with heavy traffic over the school hols period which in Aust is approx mid Dec to end Jan.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Last edited by AvB; May 19, 2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:56 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,633 Posts
Yes great Fishing here! I could even tee up those who enjoy fishing with some guys that go out often locally.

I will look into accommodation costs. My Father said he can put a couple of people up, and I am sure I can find another couple of beds

As with booking any flights, the further out you book, it is usually cheaper. This is why I have put this thread up so far ahead to give people all the warning possible and then it rules out the "Didn't have enough time" excuse haha
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2012, 01:28 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,497 Posts
I love lake tekapo and all the surrounding areas. The accomodation , food, and roads are top notch in NZ. And its 20% cheaper. Still cant understand why half of them live here?
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Old May 20, 2012, 07:42 AM
Windburner Factory Pilot
Joined May 2008
2,986 Posts
swoop119 is offline Find More Posts by swoop119
Old May 20, 2012, 03:04 PM
Ook!
New Zealand
Joined Aug 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineDSacro View Post
I love lake tekapo and all the surrounding areas. The accomodation , food, and roads are top notch in NZ. And its 20% cheaper. Still cant understand why half of them live here?
30% better pay, on average, has something to do with it...
skaffen is offline Find More Posts by skaffen
Old May 20, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,232 Posts
Guess I better learn to DS
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old May 20, 2012, 07:27 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,633 Posts
You don't have to DS to enjoy it here in ChCh. We have more slope sites within 30min than you can shake a Le Fish at!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2012, 07:53 PM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaffen View Post
30% better pay, on average, has something to do with it...
And 40% more expensive to live ! Plus traffic jams....

I'm an Aussie who is giving the south island of NZ a big wrap i love the place, minus the funny accent. .

http://www.news.com.au/national/big-...-1226064565829
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Old May 20, 2012, 08:42 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,633 Posts
Well seems like Joe Manor is coming, and a few Aussies and a couple of guys from the North Island so far.

This could turn into a BIG event not worth missing!
RCG Plus Member