HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:10 AM
Suspended Account
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Dec 2000
4,072 Posts
Anyone elae find the thread title "Off-topic Insurance Thread" to be not off topic being that it is in the AMA Discussions forum?

Or is there just one topic here "complaining about the AMA".

Brad
bradpaul is offline Find More Posts by bradpaul
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:20 AM
BFMAC Founding Member
Joined Mar 2003
1,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3NFO View Post
So, under your plan, from the land owner's perspective, I can:
A - "It's April, show me your current year AMA Site Owner certificate, or,
B - "Mmmmm, it's April, so according to my database, John, Sam and George's personal liability policies expire this month.", "Hi, John, it's the land owner, you need to come by and provide me a copy of your current year insurance policy", "Hi Sam, it's.........

If I had my druthers as a land owner, option A every time!
I'm not following your reasoning, Jerry. I was talking about personal insurance provided to every AMA member. Including the landowner as 'also insured' in that coverage doesn't change the period when it is effective or the fact that it can't expire before the end of the year. It doesn't change the fact that everyone flying must be an AMA member.

What it would change is that it would be of real value to the approximately half of AMA members that don't fly at chartered club sites, or any of the rest that may sometimes fly at venues that are not chartered club sites. The landowners of these 'sites of opportunity' aka 'potential chartered club sites' (like you as a landowner in your hypothetical situation) don't care if any person(s) seeking permission to use his property is/are AMA member(s) that have personal insurance covering their liability; that insurance doesn't protect him from liability that might arise from acts of the modeler(s), ever.
Bottom line is it wouldn't change anything in liability protection for landowners of existing AMA chartered club sites, and it would extend similar protection to landowners of flying sites used by non-club AMA members and club members scouting potential chartered club sites.

added: For me, and I'm certainly not alone, the personal insurance AMA provides to me is virtually worthless - I have plenty of personal liability insurance from HO and PUP policies. If I could change the covered individual in my AMA coverage from me to the landowner of the site I chose to fly at for the moment, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

added (2): There is precedence for inclusion of unnamed individuals (like landowners of flying sites I want coverage for): trainees under the AMA Intro Pilot Program are covered before the paperwork is submitted to AMA.

Abel
abel pranger is offline Find More Posts by abel pranger
Last edited by abel pranger; Feb 11, 2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 02:49 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,527 Posts
I am with you Abel, would rejoin the AMA if I could get access to the site insurance without having to form a club.
KenP is offline Find More Posts by KenP
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:16 PM
Joined Sep 2001
1,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaflyer View Post
Man, I'm about ready to. Cold up here in Indiana.
Any good carpentry jobs around there?
Come on! Although not great here, better than many other places.
littlecrankshaft is offline Find More Posts by littlecrankshaft
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:45 PM
BFMAC Founding Member
Joined Mar 2003
1,277 Posts
I'd say come to CA honda, but I don't think that would work well for you. The weather is warmer on average, but no jobs and the state is dang near bankrupt.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 03:35 PM
Mesa, Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2004
316 Posts
club officers coverage

Does the AMA club insurance cover the club officers with an additinal liability coverage?
kpmacaz is offline Find More Posts by kpmacaz
Old Mar 06, 2012, 04:44 PM
BFMAC Founding Member
Joined Mar 2003
1,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmacaz View Post
Does the AMA club insurance cover the club officers with an additinal liability coverage?
Yes, coverage for 'vicarious' liability is provided to club officers in addition to the basic coverage. See current article on the topic here:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/insider/07_01/clubs.html
Old Mar 06, 2012, 05:44 PM
Mesa, Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2004
316 Posts
thanks!
kpmacaz is offline Find More Posts by kpmacaz
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:47 AM
BFMAC Founding Member
Joined Mar 2003
1,277 Posts
Last edited by abel pranger; Jul 06, 2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: argumentative tangent to discussion
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:46 AM
Waiting for the paint to dry.
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Maybe you should at lease reference FPV if your going to hop through threads to change preferences .
ctrout is offline Find More Posts by ctrout
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Sep 2001
1,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abel pranger View Post
Yes, coverage for 'vicarious' liability is provided to club officers in addition to the basic coverage. See current article on the topic here:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/insider/07_01/clubs.html
Real info...and often overlooked.
littlecrankshaft is offline Find More Posts by littlecrankshaft