Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoneWone View Post
It is !!!

Have question, does any one having instructions or wiring diagram of Graupner Regatta 5172, I like to use @ 7,2 volt, no response from Graupner following numerous requests.
From what I remember, you just connect your battery to the servo, then the servo to the Rx. There is an off/on switch which is now your "master" switch for powering everything.

The servo has it's own BEC built in. So the servo can take up to 7.2V (and use the full 7.2V), but outputs to the Rx in the 4.8-6.0V for the Rx and remaining servos.
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2012, 12:51 PM
Toulouse
Joined Jan 2007
243 Posts
No problem with 7.2 v operation but most IOM boats find 6 v is OK and less weight. If you use LiPo the weight is no problem but I would think a voltage regulator for the supply would be advisable.
The current instructions state 4.8 - 6.0 - 7.2 v supply but earlier ones seem to have said 6 v - although I dont think the circuit has changed.

Wiring is not complicated - three leads
to switch,
to battery (male white plug) and
to receiver (female black plug which gives regulated 5.5 volt supply max).

Travel is adjustable by a screwdriver slot on the servo 1.5 to 5 turns. Standard drum is 38 mm but there is a smaller one for the eco model. You are unlikely to need full travel so beware, there is enough torque to pull the boat apart if the cord does not break first!

Graupner say it is perfectly waterproof, but don't believe that. Take precautions e.g.
Vaseline on adjusting screw and output shaft,
silicone or hot glue on wiring grommet,
silicone or nail varnish on case joints.
The switch and the plugs rot quickly if exposed to water, especially salt water.

The 5173 eco model is similar but weaker and a bit lighter.

hope that helps

Jerry
expat flyer is offline Find More Posts by expat flyer
Old Feb 04, 2012, 11:11 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
513 Posts
Thanks guys, I think (?) older version did not have built-in BEC as this new one has, no need for voltage regulator then.
KoneWone is offline Find More Posts by KoneWone
Old Feb 06, 2012, 09:43 AM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,139 Posts
Eurgle Digital - Don't bother

Well, I can't recommend the Eurlge Digital winches.

I've gone through 3 of them on my Marblehead now. They just stop working for no apparent reason. Yesterday I just finished our first race, and I sheeted out after crossing the finish line, it spun out really fast (you could hear it) and it just stopped working.

I run LiFePo batteries, so the voltage shouldn't be an issue, since they are rated to 7.4 V.

This sucks, because next weekend we are having a Marblehead regatta and I am winch less. I ordered a new winch from HobbyKing, but it's going to take awhile for it to get here (I ordered it, but I forgot we are having the regatta, and didn't specify express shipping. My bad).
Old Feb 07, 2012, 02:31 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
900 Posts
Maybe this arm winch would work well. It is listed on one of the Australian RC suppliers web sites and they say it is good for IOM. http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-5755mg_servo.html
I so far have found the hitec 765 lacking in power to pull in the sails on my Aquacraft Vela and want to find a stronger sail servo that is phyiscally smaller than the 765 from Hitec.
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Feb 07, 2012, 10:37 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz View Post
Well, I can't recommend the Eurlge Digital winches.
I've had 6 die on me with few hours running, tried Analogue & digital TX's with and without BEC from 7,2 to 6 volt all with the same result, plastic drive gear strips or the pot just goes belly up and loses it end points and continuously runs resulting in boat damage, metal gears Eurgle's same result (excluding stripped gears)
Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:03 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoneWone View Post
I've had 6 die on me with few hours running, tried Analogue & digital TX's with and without BEC from 7,2 to 6 volt all with the same result, plastic drive gear strips or the pot just goes belly up and loses it end points and continuously runs resulting in boat damage, metal gears Eurgle's same result (excluding stripped gears)
Sometimes the old saying is true.........."you buy cheap, you buy twice", or in your case six times.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Feb 09, 2012, 07:36 PM
Registered Billy
Louisville, KY
Joined Dec 2003
337 Posts
I guess I will cross the Eurgle off of my list. 6 dead ones? Sheesh...
bkopke is offline Find More Posts by bkopke
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:13 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
... so far I have found the hitec 765 lacking in power to pull in the sails on my Aquacraft Vela and want to find a stronger sail servo that is phyiscally smaller than the 765 from Hitec.
I use the HS-7950TH (486 oz/in on 2S lipos) in both a US1M and an Infinity 54 and it is very small/light for the output power - way smaller than 1/4 scale or giant servos. Even in winds where I questioned why we raced, I have never had a lack of power....and that is with a very long armed control system on the Infinity. Downside is that it is $$$$$, but is on sale right now at Servo City.

If you want/need real power, do like some of the Marblehead sailors in our club do and use the Servo City robot servo/gearbox system. http://servocity.com/html/spg425a-mr...-rotation.html You do have to add the pulleys, but since you guys seem to have plenty of spares from dead Eurgle's, that shouldn't be a problem

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:10 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
900 Posts
Nice servo, and tons of power. I put a pulley on the end of the arm that is on the HS765 in the Vela and it worked nicely on Saturday. Am still wanting to try a stronger servo though. Think I am going to order one of HS5755 servos when I have some spare dollars and try it in the vela.
See ya around the pond Foam Crusher. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:22 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
I had my new Vigor VSD-22YMB HV (7.2v) Winch Servo 56g/11kg/0.60 (360 Degree) from Hobby King turned up last night (Eurgle copy)
First thoughts a lot better than the Eurgle it doesn't chattering when at the end points.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18744
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Last edited by 8387mike; Feb 24, 2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:09 AM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,139 Posts
A video of the Hobby King servo I just received, with a comparison to a Eurgle and a GWS winch.

2012-02-23 22-19-03.720.wmv (9 min 46 sec)
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:47 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
513 Posts
Great review Guzz ....so you have narrowed the field down to ....nothing decent available in lower (read affordable) price bracket !

Stepping upto next price level to Graupner Regatta, it's speed at 7,2 volt is respecatable for racing and it is reliable....just little too heavy for my liking

Top shelf remains RMG in all areas, I just can't afford to have em in six boats

Cheers Alan
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:48 PM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
513 Posts
Hi Guys, there is a new winch just come onto the market from Italy.

http://www.barcheradiocomandate.it/v...nchs-fittings/

It is a RMG replica at lower price and a good friend has been testing pre-production models and he says it is perfect, sailed with IOM and M-class A rigs in 10 knots, has excellent power and speed and precision.

At last a more affordable winch with high performance.

Cheers Alan
Old Mar 19, 2012, 01:44 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,546 Posts
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Last edited by martin richards; Mar 19, 2012 at 02:39 PM.