SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:27 AM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2009
574 Posts
Poboy,

The motor mount is plastic and not very strong. If you push on it hard enough, it will move. It basically holds the motor about an inch away from the firewall on four plastic legs. If one of these legs has buckled or broken, you will have problems. A slightly down and right angle to the motor is normal (about 2 degrees).

If it moves fairly easily, you will probably have problems in flight and you should investigate. Pull out the black plastic "engine" from the nose to get a better look inside. If it only moves a little you should be okay.

The plane will not handle a crash very well because the foam is fairly fragile, so I wouldn't take any chances on a loose motor or you might destroy the plane.

The plane is pretty easy to fly, so you shouldn't have any major problems. Just make sure th CG is right, all the control surfaces move (in the proper direction!!), and that you give it a firm throw from STRAIGHT out at full throttle. Do not throw it at a large upward angle or you might stall and crash.

By the way, here is a video from my Corsair maiden a few months ago:

Art Tech Corsair (1 min 52 sec)
aero_k is offline Find More Posts by aero_k
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2011, 05:56 PM
Poboy 72
USA, MO, St Louis
Joined Oct 2010
21 Posts
Thanks

Thanks Aero_K,

Thanks-a-million for the quick reply. After further investigation, it seems that the problem is not with the mount itself, but with the foam that should secure the mount (actually, the absence thereof). I hope the attached pics show it well.

I purchased it from NitroPlanes. I wonder if they will help fix.

I think I can fix it by sandwiching two pieces of foam together. One piece will be larger than the other. The smaller piece act as a shim and will fit in the recess. The bigger piece will span the firewall (for a better gluing contact surface) holding the shim in place along with the mount. I hope it works and doesn't affect balance too much.

Thanks again for the great help and the great vid too.
poboy72 is offline Find More Posts by poboy72
Old Jan 04, 2011, 09:13 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2009
574 Posts
Weird. From the pictures it looks like they glued in the motor mount with a non-foam-safe glue and it ate away at the foam.

I broke my motor mount in a crash a while back and haven't had a chance to come up with a solution yet. I'll probably try to make something out of some plywood or balsa.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 06:27 PM
Poboy 72
USA, MO, St Louis
Joined Oct 2010
21 Posts
I found some "Foam Glue" at my local Hobby Lobby. I made the reinforced shim I mentioned. It's all drying now as I speak. Seems like it's setting pretty well. I will check the balance too. The mount still fits flush with the seat on the firewall, so I hope the geometry (thrust angle) is the same. I hope it works.

I concur that they probably used a glue that ate the foam in this area. We'll see if my solution worked. The true test will be if it survives the shock of landing(s)...
Old Jan 06, 2011, 10:16 PM
Poboy 72
USA, MO, St Louis
Joined Oct 2010
21 Posts
Success

Well I think I fixed it. The piece I fabricated seems to be holding. I did a couple of stress tests and I think the bird is ready to fly. Hopefully, will have time soon. I'm continuing this post here hoping it might help anybody else who incur the same predicament with this same plane. No intent to hi-jack this thread.

Attached are pics of the "fix". I got as much glue as possible behind and along the sides of the mount in addition to gluing the "reinforced shim" in place.

The glue I used is called "Hold the Foam". I found it at Hobby Lobby. It's slightly thick (but manageable), comes out white, and looks to dry almost clear.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:41 PM
ParkFlyer
United States, HI
Joined Feb 2011
26 Posts
Please help

I also crashed my Corsair and the motor mount is history... anyone know where i can get a replacement?
jap71173 is offline Find More Posts by jap71173
Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:48 PM
Loose Nut behind the ..Sticks?
Vancouver, Washinton
Joined Jun 2010
189 Posts
http://www.parkflyers.com/Motor_Mount_p/b5101.htm

Here you go!
Xargon321 is offline Find More Posts by Xargon321
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:30 PM
ParkFlyer
United States, HI
Joined Feb 2011
26 Posts
Thank you Mucho!!!

Thank you Mucho!!!
jap71173 is offline Find More Posts by jap71173
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:16 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2009
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xargon321 View Post
Do you have a picture of the mount? There isn't one on the site.

I've looked around a bit and hadn't found a suitable mount yet. The stock one is really weak.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:46 PM
Loose Nut behind the ..Sticks?
Vancouver, Washinton
Joined Jun 2010
189 Posts
its the same one that art-tech uses just repackaged for parkflyers

Xargon321 is offline Find More Posts by Xargon321
Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:51 PM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,100 Posts
I just took a piece of ply and glued it right across where the mount was, screwed an appropriate sized wood block to it and put the motor on with a washer at top left to give proper down/right thrust incidence. Flies fine.
I love this plane so much I have another still in the box.
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
Old Mar 24, 2011, 05:18 PM
Poboy 72
USA, MO, St Louis
Joined Oct 2010
21 Posts
I love this plane. Maiden-land-crash; still hooked...

Wow. I love this plane. I flew it for the first time and I am hooked. This was my first time flying an R/C plane (although I am decent with a heli; Large Walkera Lama 400). It took off beautifully. I dialed in a little up trim prior to taking off. I made a couple of circuits and landed it without any snags. I have to add that there was a mild crosswind (5-7 Kts), but the plane handled it well. I took off again and landed successfully two more times. The 3rd landing was textbook perfect. I even utilized cross-wind controls (translated from real piloting experience) and it landed straight, even with the wind.

Well, I should have left well-enough alone. After that last landing my confidence was peaking, so I though "just one more". I was almost out of the 12-minute flying time I had allotted (to be safe), but I figured one more wouldn't hurt. So, I took off again. This time I kept the air speed way too low. I realize (too late) that this plane loves a little speed when turning. I was turning (left) to final and got it a little slow with too steep a bank. Suddenly the left wing stalled and the plane did a nose dive from about 20 ft up down to the deck. In my inexperience, I reacted too late. With a little more altitude, I probably could have saved it.

Surprisingly, the only real damage was to the fuselage (which shattered into three pieces). The motor mount disintegrated. That was about two weeks ago. I ordered a new motor mount from Banana Hobby. It only came with the portion the attaches to the motor. I fabricated the other part [that attaches to the firewall and the motor mount] out of a piece of 1/8" plywood. My drill press finally got some use, helping me to drill precision holes in this mount. I glued this to the firewall and screwed the motor mount to it. The screws also joined with the plastic mount on the other side of the firewall as well. I glued the fuselage back together as well. (I bought another fuselage too and will try my hand at scratch-building the wings in the future). Maybe I can get my fiance out flying too, or is that asking too much? :-)

It's all back together now. Motor and servos all work fine. Just need to get it balanced again. Now it has its war scars / character lines (you can see the cracks in the fuselage). I'll be more careful next time. As a side note, I utilized the Clearview R/C simulator for about two weeks before I tried to fly it (and FMS before that). I highly recommend that for anyone who has never operated an R/C model before. Thanks again to Aero_k for his previous advice too.

IMHO, this is a great plane even for a beginner. I learned that flying a model is less forgiving than the real thing since you don't get the "seat-of-the-pants effect" and don't have instruments either. Outside of stalling it in a turn, which is purely pilot error, it is a really good flier. I think the gull-wings and the dihedral give it good self-correcting qualities. Landings were tame, especially with low power; very stable. I am hooked...
Old Mar 24, 2011, 07:22 PM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,100 Posts
They fly better after their first crash....
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:21 AM
RC Roller
United States, MO, Branson
Joined Jun 2011
37 Posts
CG for Art-Tech Corsair 1000mm

found a battery with a very low weight and high capacity so I am purchasing it for the Corsair (that is now on its way)

So any one that has found the perfect CG measurement on the wing for this bird would be of great help

thanx

here are the battery specs for anyone interested

Blue Lipo 2200mAh 3S1P 11.1v 25C Battery
* Voltage: 11.4V
* Cells: 3-Cell
* Capacity: 2000mAh
* Max Continuous Discharge: 25C
* Max Burst Discharge: 50C
* Max Continuous Current: 50A
* Max Burst Current: 100A
* Weight:152g
* Dimensions: 23 x 35 x 103mm(0.90x 1.38x4.05 inch)
rc Roller is offline Find More Posts by rc Roller
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:18 PM
Poboy 72
USA, MO, St Louis
Joined Oct 2010
21 Posts
May have to "cut" your plane

RcR,

That battery sounds great, but it may be too big for your plane in stock configuration. At 4" length (assumed), you will have to do some surgery on your plane to make it work. The CG should always be the same (unless you move the wings). "Weight" (ie your battery, rx, etc.) is what must move to balance your plane. I could go into a discussion about moments and arms, but that might bore you to death.

The stock battery measures about 20x34x65mm and is loaded vertically in the battery compartment. Not a lot of room at all. I actually get about 15min flying time off my 1300mah lipos. I also bought two additional lipos from Hobby King, but haven't tested (other than fitting) in the plane yet (but I get about 18 min in my Lama-400 helo). One is a Turnigy 25-35c, 1300mAh and it is great and still fits at 74mm long.

I've crashed and re-built my Corsair and I love it. It easy to fly, but you just have to stay ahead of the plane (as always). BTW, have patience when trying to install the rudder to the tail servo; it is a major headache.

Just my 2 cents. Hope that helps you. I'm sure someone with even more experience will chime in and provide more assistance. Good Luck.

I have to fly R/C now that my wife doesn't care for me flying real G/A a/c anymore. Oh, well... PB72