SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 05, 2003, 03:46 PM
Cayucos, CA
Joined Jan 2003
8 Posts
Taping a plane - design question

I'm getting ready to cover my first plane, a Windrider Bee. I have a question about putting on the colored tape. I'd like to put some kind of design or pattern on the bottom of the wing, perhaps chevrons. Is it ok to just cover the plane with a sloid color, then use cut out pieces of tape to create a design? I would do the same on the left & right side of the bottom so the weight would be even. Or, when using tape, do you need to work the design in as you are taping. It seems to me that the colored tape should be complete pieces from the center of the plane to the wingtips for added strength & durability. But maybe not....?

Thanks,

David
jevid is offline Find More Posts by jevid
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2003, 05:18 PM
Free as a bird now.
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,602 Posts
There is no reason at all not to tape the whole plane in one color and then add trim.
Brian Courtice is online now Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Jan 06, 2003, 12:45 AM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined May 2002
2,574 Posts
Packing Tape

Yes, make the first color out of long continuous pieces, then add trim color.

I would also heat shrink the first covering layer before adding the trim color - heat shrinking adds strength and rigidity, just be careful and keep the heat gun moving!

Many people do not know that you can heat shrink covering tape, but it works nicely!

Keep in mind that when using this tape it is thin and slightly transparent - if you put light colors over light colors they may not show up as you like...

Go here for photos - most of these were heat shrunk:

http://hobiehawk.com/Zagiphotos.html
CactusJackSlade is offline Find More Posts by CactusJackSlade
Old Jan 06, 2003, 01:03 PM
Cedar Park, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,436 Posts
Tape Color

I would use a lighter color for the base and a darker color for the design. Dark colors bleed through the lighter shades and looks horrible.
McGrrr is offline Find More Posts by McGrrr