SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 16, 2014, 03:57 AM
Joined Sep 2014
12 Posts
Discussion
Novel hot air balloon

Hi fellow makers!
I just wanted to share a novel fuel tank solution for small hot air balloons.
The balloon is not yet R/C but a conversion is on its way.
/Axel
Homemade Hot air balloon adjustable flight time (4 min 46 sec)
amazingdiy is offline Find More Posts by amazingdiy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2014, 08:46 AM
Joined Feb 2009
400 Posts
That's definitely a unique idea for the fuel system. I like that the flame instantly goes out when all the fuel is gone, which is a problem with other forms of fuel that involve burning something soaked in alcohol or wax-- there's always smoldering remnants that can come back down with the balloon. The light weight is a big advantage too. Normally you would not even be able to get a balloon that small off the ground with conventional fuel systems due to the weight of the fuel. The only down side would be the short duration of the burn, but I suppose you could just hang a really large balloon under it for longer flights without much additional weight penalty.

Great innovation, I like it!
pyronaught is online now Find More Posts by pyronaught
Old Sep 19, 2014, 05:16 PM
Joined Jan 2007
597 Posts
Love the set up, is the Balloon envelope made from tissue paper ? i have to build one for fun Asap..
larryg is offline Find More Posts by larryg
Old Sep 28, 2014, 05:13 AM
Joined Sep 2014
12 Posts
Hi,
Yeah, tissue paper it is.
The fuel tank balloon can be inflated just lika any balloon, so flight time kan be at least 10x the flight, or jump really, in the clip!
Old Sep 29, 2014, 09:07 AM
Joined Feb 2009
400 Posts
Have you tried using propane as the fuel? That is a cheaper and more convenient gas to use. I've seen conflicting information about which gas generates more heat, so I'm guessing they are about the same.
pyronaught is online now Find More Posts by pyronaught
Last edited by pyronaught; Sep 29, 2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 07:53 AM
Joined Sep 2014
12 Posts
Propane is good when it is below 0 centigrades, since butane turns liquid around 0.