HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:57 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,852 Posts
Thanks for the great drawings George - but my plan is to add NO details other than those shown on the plans I'd love a decent picture of the target winch though just to fill in the blank space under the wing!

Nice model Frank - it may be from the Hutson plan but it looks as though he did his own canopy/glazing. Brave man I'm really looking to get the wing with its ailerons, flap and working LE slats..........sounds like fun (I think.......)

Pat (sawing tail-cone off his Lizzie..)
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A Small Diversion From Annie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:04 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltone View Post

Nice model Frank - it may be from the Hutson plan but it looks as though he did his own canopy/glazing. Brave man I
Yes, he did. He used the small strips of metal that you find inside some windshield wiper blades that stiffen them. He's a clever guy. Currently he is welding up a fuselage from aluminum tubing for a 1/4 scale Piper L-4. He makes his own oleo struts, too.
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:18 PM
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,308 Posts
Pat, here's a bit of detail of the tug attachment point that I tracked down...

George
GeorgeG97322 is online now Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:24 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,852 Posts
Slow Progress.....

Thanks George - that pretty much shows the outside stuff, but I only have one picture of the winch mechanism that fills up the space above the fuel tank between the pilot and winch operator.

The tail surface connections have been a bit scary as once installed, they will be inaccessible without major surgery. The elevators hinges are angled and thus two horns and a split pushrod are needed. The rudder horn protrudes partially from the fuselage side and also has a link down to the tailwheel arm. All joints were silver brazed where possible and soldered with silver-bearing soft solder otherwise. Many hours of tweeking and refining were done before I was happy to glue the sawn-off tailcone back in place, never to be accessed again - hopefully.

After some sanding and filling, a slightly oversized 'blister' was formed from thin styrene sheet and fixed over the exposed rudder linkage - it's not scale size but looks about right!

The movable surfaces were covered with Polyspan (smooth side OUT!) and given a couple of coats of thinned dope. First time I've used Polyspan - it is very nice to use Silk span was doped onto all the sheeted surfaces to give some added strength and maybe avoid any splits.

After finishing the small filleted area around the vert. stab. I'll dope some Silkspan over the whole rear sheeted area and move to the front of the model....

Note that this is a 'sport scale' model and a lot of fiddly bits do not appear on the plan - esp. where they would add weight down the back - hinges are incorrect, no fairings around moving surface LE etc.......suits me

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Feb 03, 2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:31 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,852 Posts
The FG cowl that comes as an accessory to the plans certainly saves a lot of effort! Rivets, bumps, catches panel lines and exhaust all moulded in. The only thing missing really is the carby air-scoop underneath. Drat - I'll have to make something......

After cleaning up the cowl, 3 aluminium brackets were glassed in place using polyester resin (epoxy wont stick I'm told...) and these screw into plywood blocks glued to the firewall. The screws are accessible from behind through the cowling gills.

The canopy was just dropped over the fuselage to see what work is needed along the edges of the fuselage around the cockpit.....

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Feb 04, 2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:23 PM
Power Upward
Joined Jun 2007
1,308 Posts
Pat,

That sure gives new meaning to greenhouse canopy. Yup, lots of glass.

Can you answer a question about early Avro Ansons, I was told by someone who is a airplane nut. He has traveled all over the world to see museums and collections. Any way, he told me that pre war Ansons had constant chord wings. You got any facts on this? I have not seen any documentaion that suggests that they had straight wings.

George
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:12 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,852 Posts
George - I had a quick look through my several Anson books and could find no evidence of a production parallel winged Anson - from the 652 prototype through the post war variants. The most likely candidate was an Avro 19 - a later civvie version of the Anson, which had a wooden, parallel chord wing as an experiment but only one was ever made.

Thinking about the wheel spats..

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:48 PM
Power Upward
Joined Jun 2007
1,308 Posts
Thanks Pat,

Spats, No problem, glue em together, bolt them on, all done...

Looking really good...

Have you herd from Rob lately? (Spikkkkkk)

George
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:18 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,852 Posts
No George - we all hold our breath when Rob hasn't logged in for a while.....

I did a search for him but the last post I could find was late Oct. 2012.

I also searched for Hammerd but maybe he is lurking and not saying anything......

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:08 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltone View Post
No George - we all hold our breath when Rob hasn't logged in for a while.....

I did a search for him but the last post I could find was late Oct. 2012.

I also searched for Hammerd but maybe he is lurking and not saying anything......

Pat
I too was wondering about the whereabouts of the Phantom Superdetailer from old Las Vegas town (hammerd). He has been silent since he finished his Peter Rake Dr1.

Maybe he is cooking up another marvel for us...

Cheers,

Hugh

PS, nice job on the Lysander Pat. You sure do build quick.
MerlinV is offline Find More Posts by MerlinV
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:32 PM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
I always scan through the first page of posts in the Scale Electric forum to see if Hammerd has started anything new. Same as I do for new Tritle builds. I'm sure whatever he comes up with next will be as fun to watch as his past planes.
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:41 PM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,178 Posts
Hi Pat,

That looks wonderful, as expected. This one looks much simpler than the Mizer design.

I am keeping away from the Mizer plan, in case I might decide to start Could take a decade to finish.

I should start working again, after seeing this build.

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:50 PM
United Kingdom, England, Cheshire West and Chester
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
Hi Pat,

Only just found this thread - I have one going on RCMF for the same Traplet plan.

I started with the wings - as I usually do - if only to make sure I get the wing seats or attachment points right. I find it easier to build out a wing alignment problem in the fuse rather than having to adapt a fuse to fit wings built later - but each to his own!

You may have been best off starting with the fuse - at least you can see some progress. I knocked up the first wing fairly quickly, but it's taken me a couple of weeks to repeat the process (but the other way around) and now it's a painstaking process to get the flaps and ailerons and their hinging just right. The odd wing plan and the double taper of the chord depth makes it difficult to make the ribs using the sandwich method - but I manged to make it work. Plus - the wing is built on 3 formers - so in mid-air. I didn't like this so built the bottom spar and all the ribs first, then added the two rear spars but not glued together, then put the floppy assembly into the formers and added the LE and top spar. That way I have the correct (I hope) washout and dihedral - but it's far from easy.

I've built quite a few aircraft from plan over the years - but this is by far the hardest wing I've done. I did the Traplet Stuka a few years ago - and that was a doddle in comparison!

I'll put up a few photos in a few days.

Andy
andythecyclist is offline Find More Posts by andythecyclist
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:10 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,852 Posts
Thanks Andy - and even more thanks for joining rcgroups just to make contact
I'm about to wizz over to the RCME site and have a look! I wish Traplet had a forum for their own products
Yes, the wing ribs were what clinched it for me wrt the wood pack - worth every penny! I'm still pondering the best approach to the wing - I particularly am concerned with how strong the area around he middle of each wing is with all spars,LE,TE etc changing direction in that area.
Please, drop in with photos and comments as often as you wish. It is a tricky bird to build and a bit lonely at times.....

Andy's Lizzie build is here : http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/...tml#msg1119582

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Feb 08, 2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:09 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,852 Posts
Spurred on a bit by finding another soul building this model I got on with the UC.
The FG spats made the job easier but by adopting the common 'cover-less' spats seen on many Lysanders, a simple soft balsa arrangement would also work although perhaps less robust.
The 'legs' are 1/2" soft balsa slotted and grooved around the wire legs and then shaped to fit the assembled spats to. I mixed some polyester resin to glue them in place as I wasn't sure if epoxy would adhere to the poly FG.
Wheels of the right size I could not find so I made my own from 1/8 and 1/2" ply epoxied around a 3/16" brass tube. The tyre is an old spongy toy-type wheel that I turned down to the reqd. diameter in the lathe - very messy - everything is covered in black rubbery dust!
The bottom hatch I made includes a tiny portion of the wheel strut fairings to tidy things up underneath.

BTW, the aircraft I'm modelling has the spat wheel cover removed, some aircraft had both taken off....

Now I'd better do a tail wheel!

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Feb 10, 2013 at 05:43 PM.