Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:31 AM
CA...gimme the CA...
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
Discussion
Homemade CNC using DVD Laser

Hey folks,

My cousin the physicist sent me this article on making a laser cutter with a diode from a scrap DVD player. Doesn't seem to have a lotta power...the article says 150mW from a DVD burner, but they say it's strong enough to melt plastic and burn paper. Would most likely cut balsa....but they say a Blu-Ray player yields around 1W....so that would be the ticket.

Sounds interesting, but complicated? Doesn't look *terribly* convoluted...somewhat time consuming, but folks here don't mind that...!

Apparently one can use a piece of software called "Grbl", which is a hacked version of G-code....but I'll betcha there are others.

The author says "With free G-code generator extensions to various drawing programs, sending a page to an engraver is only slightly more complex than sending it to a regular laser printer."

One problem I can see would be the axis length. Some parts require a good stretch, so you'd have to come up with a way to lengthen at least one of the axis.

Still....an interesting concept.
whowhatwhere is offline Find More Posts by whowhatwhere
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:39 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
Pretty interesting stuff... Remember the first PCs started as hackers creations in someone's garage....
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:12 PM
CA...gimme the CA...
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out how Steve Wozniak built the Apple computer....I mean, HOW? It wasn't as if he had a buncha "how-to" manuals back then!

But with all the scrap PCs out there it should get easier to find a surplus Blu-ray drive. Maybe someone here will put one together and demonstrate. Hint hint hint....
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:58 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2006
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whowhatwhere View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how Steve Wozniak built the Apple computer....I mean, HOW? It wasn't as if he had a buncha "how-to" manuals back then!
Actually back then the hardware wasn't that hard to build. Several of my then co-workers were building their own S-100 buss PCs. The biggest problem was programming the danged things. Then your choices were pretty much machine language, or binary. I think Steve's biggest breakthrough was developing a programming language tht didn't require you to understand how the processor worked in order to program the computer.
Windrider53 is online now Find More Posts by Windrider53
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:24 AM
CA...gimme the CA...
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
The Woz was a bright fella....it's humorous to see him in line at the Apple store when a new device comes out!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:49 PM
Joined Jul 2012
68 Posts
I thought Al Gore invented the PC. Oh, that was the internet. haha.
pigcop2 is offline Find More Posts by pigcop2
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:41 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrider53 View Post
I think Steve's biggest breakthrough was developing a programming language tht didn't require you to understand how the processor worked in order to program the computer.
What language did he develop?

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:45 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,435 Posts
[sarcasm]A hacked linux kernal[/sarcasm]
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:26 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Lasers are tricky beasts. Those high-power diodes are tougher to find than you'd expect; they're worth quite a bit and people don't just throw them away.

A regular CD/DVD/Blu-Ray player will only have them in the range of a few milliwatts, which is about as much as a simple laser pointer. You need a disc BURNER to get anything really powerful, and then you need the appropriate focusing optics and driver for it.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:51 AM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,690 Posts
Someone could try one of these - http://www.wickedlasers.com/arctic - if you don't have a DVD burner just laying around waiting to be cannibalized.
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:25 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
It would be cheaper and easier to just buy the correct laser diode/module. They can be had for relatively cheap, but it depends on the material and thickness you plan to be cutting.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:48 AM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
It would be cheaper and easier to just buy the correct laser diode/module. They can be had for relatively cheap, but it depends on the material and thickness you plan to be cutting.
I would have to agree, and anything south of 40 watts won't do me much good.
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61