Joined Aug 2009
55 Posts
OK roger that...
91-ZULU is offline Find More Posts by 91-ZULU
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:59 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,253 Posts
Well 2800kv is a lot for 5S in a CS10/12 anyway!
2550kv area is already 'hot'.... so 2800kv is 'very hot'. LOL.
Not many 2800kv motors are going to be up to that task.
Those CP IR's look 'pretty good' but this shows that whilst they are good, they are not 'super good', hehe. Which is what 5S 2800kv would need to be if used for that!!

I think those are 60mm long(?), which is enough total size to possibly be good enough... but it still needs to have good magnets etc. So that will be the shortfall in it.... probably all good stuff in it, but not 'super good'. LOL. Not 'good enough'.

You would be better off with the IR 2200kv version on 6S if you wanted that level of power. More capable and efficient.
But I notice RC-Castle does not list those anymore..... I wonder why that is?
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:34 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
But I notice RC-Castle does not list those anymore..... I wonder why that is?
And NOBODY sells the CS480 - 3300kv motors anymore either. They were good for 1500 watts on 5s, and took a good beating too. Why kill off the really handy motors?
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:57 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,030 Posts
[QUOTE=PeterVRC;23803833]Well 2800kv is a lot for 5S in a CS10/12 anyway!
Those CP IR's look 'pretty good' but this shows that whilst they are good, they are not 'super good', hehe. Which is what 5S 2800kv would need to be if used for that!!

I think those are 60mm long(?), which is enough total size to possibly be good enough... but it still needs to have good magnets etc. So that will be the shortfall in it.... probably all good stuff in it, but not 'super good'. LOL. Not 'good enough'.

You would be better off with the IR 2200kv version on 6S if you wanted that level of power. More capable and efficient.
But I notice RC-Castle does not list those anymore..... I wonder why that is?[/QUOTE

6s, now there's an idea lol. I had a few 5s packs already but you never know. I picked my up my setup at edfhobbies. They have a lot of Cyclon Power motors in stock. Will be installing it in my Habu 2 this week. Hope it flies good.

Cheers
supercollider is online now Find More Posts by supercollider
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:02 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
[QUOTE=supercollider;23804434]
Quote:
Well 2800kv is a lot for 5S in a CS10/12 anyway!

But I notice RC-Castle does not list those anymore..... I wonder why that is?[/QUOTE

6s, now there's an idea lol. I had a few 5s packs already but you never know. I picked my up my setup at edfhobbies. They have a lot of Cyclon Power motors in stock. Will be installing it in my Habu 2 this week. Hope it flies good.

Cheers
I use a 2950kv long can Tenshock motor in a CS10 fan. In my Habu with 5s packs it peaks at 90 amps and settles at 75-80. I use house branded Gens Ace packs that are 3300mAh 30C. Is this a hot setup? I didn't think it was...

parkzone habu 2 with mods (5 min 4 sec)
WhalleyB0Y is offline Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:44 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,730 Posts
[QUOTE=supercollider;23804434]
Quote:

6s, now there's an idea lol. I had a few 5s packs already but you never know. I picked my up my setup at edfhobbies. They have a lot of Cyclon Power motors in stock. Will be installing it in my Habu 2 this week. Hope it flies good.Cheers
I have a pair of those IR 2200kv's and the Cyclone/Lander housings with CS10's for my LX A-10. I've run them up on the "bench" with GensAce 6S5300. Amps peaked at just under 70 and settled about 67 amps, each.

RC Castle just might be out of stock (that's were I bought mine) EDF Hobbies link:
http://edfhobbies.com/index.php?rout...product_id=239
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:45 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,253 Posts
Yeah, that Tenshock is a 2960 rated to 100Amps.... so it is a high end 28mm motor!
And if driven with adequate batteries - which yours ALMOST are - that is a very powerful and "hot" 5S setup!
Gee..... probably 170kph or so? Even maybe 180kph. (106mph to 112mph).

But if you ever go over about 70Amps (more so in 4S, 5S), you should have gone up in CELLS instead. To get more efficient power, at a lower cost too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:54 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, that Tenshock is a 2960 rated to 100Amps.... so it is a high end 28mm motor!
And if driven with adequate batteries - which yours ALMOST are - that is a very powerful and "hot" 5S setup!
Gee..... probably 170kph or so? Even maybe 180kph. (106mph to 112mph).

But if you ever go over about 70Amps (more so in 4S, 5S), you should have gone up in CELLS instead. To get more efficient power, at a lower cost too.
I wish I could agree that these ARE a high end motor as I never had much luck with them. In fact out of 5 of these motors the one in the Habu is the only one I can get working right.
Just read the last few pages of this thread to see what a nightmare they have been for me...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1730546

I am trying again to use them but this time in a CS12-70mm fan. So far not much luck. I go to ramp up the motor with no load and it runs great for about 5 secs and then it stops. Lower throttle and try again and the same thing.

I'm going to try again with another controller and see. But just in case these really are crap, could you recommend an awesome high end motor for use on 4s-5s with these fans? I'm about ready to scrap these new motors for canopy magnets.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:21 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
I have read in here that we shouldnt be running any brushless motors unloaded at wot. not sure why but it has been said. anyway your motors unloaded at wot could be exceeding the switching rate of your esc's due to the higher rpm your motor is going to spin with no load. you could try increasing the pwm or switching rate on the esc's but again not sure you should be running the motor at wot with no load. I usually will run the motors with no load to check the shaft trueness and overall motor balance and smoothness but never over half throttle and usually 20-30% throttle is all thats needed to check this
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:39 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
I have read in here that we shouldnt be running any brushless motors unloaded at wot. not sure why but it has been said. anyway your motors unloaded at wot could be exceeding the switching rate of your esc's due to the higher rpm your motor is going to spin with no load. you could try increasing the pwm or switching rate on the esc's but again not sure you should be running the motor at wot with no load. I usually will run the motors with no load to check the shaft trueness and overall motor balance and smoothness but never over half throttle and usually 20-30% throttle is all thats needed to check this
i also have heard this and would like to know why. short of the esc not being able to keep up or the motor going beyond it design rpm i see no reason . i also check motors for balance and use full throttle routinely. imo , u will not know how balance through the entire rpm range unless u develop at least full load rpm. my understanding is these motors will not over rev beyond the kv x voltage unlike ic engines at no load.

chuck.
chas650r is online now Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:49 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,030 Posts
Yeah, you could have some counter EMF going back to the esc without a load on it. Like the above post, try half throttle and see what happens.
supercollider is online now Find More Posts by supercollider
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:06 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
Nah this was happening at low throttle on 3s. I just wanted to see how true the motor shaft runs. Maybe 20%? I will post a video later if it continues.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:17 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,253 Posts
LOL, by "high end" I mean high end of power abilities. The size, and stuff they would then have in it, is at the high end of size for 28mm EDF use. Too bad that does not mean they used QUALITY bits for that!
But generally they are still very good. HET, ARC, Leopard (for a few) that do use high quality bits.... some more generic, or clones, skimp on some amount but are still higher up the ladder than say a $15/$25 lighter motor.

Make sure it is not your ESC causing it - faulty, or settings. Otherwise it is more likely something is amiss in the motor for whatever reason.... as it came, died after, or you caused it. In general even the cheapest of cheap motors still at least WORK! hehe
Plus that is not a 'cheapie' motor at all.
RCG Plus Member