SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 28, 2014, 06:26 PM
Joined Oct 2006
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyman View Post
Where did your CG end up at? Did you get it to glide well or just fly it with motor?

Terry
I flew with the motor and glided and as far as the cg I'll have to put the wings back on and let you know. It will a couple of says or so.
MitchDigger is offline Find More Posts by MitchDigger
Last edited by MitchDigger; Apr 30, 2014 at 03:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2014, 03:05 PM
Joined Oct 2006
163 Posts
Here is all my magic

CG is 34 mm . I believe you could go up to 40mm and it would be ok
Batt 2200mah lipo
I am using a flight stabilizer
Expo is 40 on Ail and ele, with 70% range of movement.
See the attached photos for how I set it up
I did have to put tape on the rudder because it was coming apart at the seem

I use surgical tubing to launch along the ground and it lifts up nicely. I apply throttle slowly and she climbs very nicely
You can see my Funjet, a profile F18 and my Scimitar in the background. A small portion of my collection.
Last edited by MitchDigger; Apr 30, 2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:52 PM
United States, AZ, Camp Verde
Joined Jan 2007
1,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchDigger View Post
CG is 34 mm . I believe you could go up to 40mm and it would be ok
Batt 2200mah lipo
I am using a flight stabilizer
Expo is 40 on Ail and ele, with 70% range of movement.
See the attached photos for how I set it up
I did have to put tape on the rudder because it was coming apart at the seem

I use surgical tubing to launch along the ground and it lifts up nicely. I apply throttle slowly and she climbs very nicely
You can see my Funjet, a profile F18 and my Scimitar in the background. A small portion of my collection.
I tried putting my CG at 40 and it was a complete disaster. It would fly under power, but when you shut the motor off the plane would slow down and then stall. It would seem that this plane likes to fly and glide better with a more forward CG. Next time I take it out I am going to try the CG at 27-28 and see if it glides better.

Terry
krazyman is offline Find More Posts by krazyman
Old May 01, 2014, 10:49 AM
Joined Oct 2006
163 Posts
Forgot to mention that I have about 5mm of up ele, and 2mm up on the ailerons

Quote:
I tried putting my CG at 40 and it was a complete disaster. It would fly under power, but when you shut the motor off the plane would slow down and then stall. It would seem that this plane likes to fly and glide better with a more forward CG. Next time I take it out I am going to try the CG at 27-28 and see if it glides better.

Terry
Old May 01, 2014, 10:57 AM
Joined Oct 2006
163 Posts
Terry if you move the cg closer to the leading edge of the wing, then you become more tail heavy, and the stall issue will be worse. Flying with wind and in calm weather will affect your flight as well. Wind gives you more lift. What battery are you using. You should try a flight stabilizer, they are not expensive. HK has one for under $20 I believe.
Quote:

Terry
Old May 01, 2014, 01:48 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,299 Posts
Quote:
Terry if you move the cg closer to the leading edge of the wing, then you become more tail heavy, and the stall issue will be worse. Flying with wind and in calm weather will affect your flight as well. Wind gives you more lift. What battery are you using. You should try a flight stabilizer, they are not expensive. HK has one for under $20 I believe.
Moving the CG closer to the leading edge makes it more NOSE HEAVY not TAIL HEAVY. I use a 2200 3 cell Zippy 40c battery. Mine sits just forward of where yours is at, but I don't have the wheel in my plane, but might have a heaver motor. I would have to set my plane up as Elevon to be able to use a stabilizer. I tried that and did not like the way it handled at all.

Terry
Old May 01, 2014, 02:10 PM
Joined Oct 2006
163 Posts
? Mine is not set up as Elevon and I use a stabilizer.
Quote:
Moving the CG closer to the leading edge makes it more NOSE HEAVY not TAIL HEAVY. I use a 2200 3 cell Zippy 40c battery. Mine sits just forward of where yours is at, but I don't have the wheel in my plane, but might have a heaver motor. I would have to set my plane up as Elevon to be able to use a stabilizer. I tried that and did not like the way it handled at all.

Terry
Old May 01, 2014, 06:21 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,299 Posts
Quote:
? Mine is not set up as Elevon and I use a stabilizer.
I have mine on a 7 channel RX and use the two Elevator setting on my DX7s, the port elevator is on Aux 2 and the starboard elevator is on Elev. I have my ailerons set up as flapperons so that I can use them as spoilers.

Terry
Old May 02, 2014, 03:30 PM
Joined Oct 2006
163 Posts
Well all I can say is my set up works very well.
Old May 03, 2014, 05:22 PM
United States, NY, Bronx County
Joined Nov 2008
191 Posts
Quote:
Well all I can say is my set up works very well.
How did you flare up your wing tips
Serafin is offline Find More Posts by Serafin
Old May 03, 2014, 08:18 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,299 Posts
[QUOTE=Serafin;28270361]How did you flare up your wing tip

Go to page 13 and my post 187 and you will see how I put the tape on while bending the wing tip up.

Terry
Old May 03, 2014, 08:26 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,299 Posts
I am unsubscribing from this thread. I got rid of my Pioneer today at our club fly in. I donated it to the club hobby shop.

I hope you all have better luck gliding this plane than I have had.

Terry