SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 06, 2011, 04:53 PM
Plane crazy
USA, CA, Yucaipa
Joined Jul 2010
153 Posts
Discussion
Are there any scale Laister or Laister-Kaufman models out there?

I'm curious about scale LK designs. Im sure there are a LOT of LK-10's, as that was a videly avaliable trainer and the TG4, but i'm curious if some of the more obscure aircraft designed by Jack Laister are available. I'm not related to Laister directly, but i grew up calling him grandpa jack. My parents owned one of the few production "nuggets" LP-15, it is now hanging in the National Soaring Museum. Jack passed away a few years ago, and my dad last year but i'd love to see or build a few scale sail planes of his If anyone has a scale Nugget, that would be something to see. Other interesting gliders to see woud be the Yankee Doodle, which was one of Jack's first gliders he designed and built while a student at Lawrence Tech. Or the CG10 trojan horse. HUGE sail plane that could land 6+ tons of payload. about 10 years ago Jack showed me some test footage of a b-17 flying low with what looked like a tow hook attached to it, pick up the tow line of the CG10 and tow it into flight.... AWESOME.

http://www.sailplanedirectory.com/laister.htm
This is a pic of my parents nugget with their N numbers N3MH. My dad wanted to paint a line through the 3 tom make it an "And" for Neva and Mike Halbert N3MH..... lol Pop was flying during this picture.
Reminiscing too much i think but if any of you have any of these scale birds or know where to find plans for one of them please let me know.

Thanks
ISPYFROMABOVE is offline Find More Posts by ISPYFROMABOVE
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2011, 07:27 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2005
290 Posts
Aerosente has one

http://www.aerosente.com/2009/06/the...ee-doodle.html

In the beta stages right now.
Mike K is offline Find More Posts by Mike K
Old Apr 06, 2011, 10:23 PM
Joined Mar 2004
2,410 Posts
If you have any original drawings or data on the LP-15 I'd love to draw plans and model it some day. Its fuselage is reminiscent of Leonard Niemi's Sisu 1A which is another of my favorite transistional sailplanes between the old school and new glass ships. Clean lines and with the T-tail really cool!

When I began drafting the Yankee Doodle I contacted Jack at his home in Victorville and spoke with him several times on the phone. He offered me copies of his original drawings for the LT-IV as it was correctly named and asked only that when complete that we offer a portion of each sale of a kit to Lawrence Tech in his name to benefit young engineering students.

I spoke with his friend at the college and had worked out all of the details save the final letter to Jack when he passed away. Since then I have been unable to locate his son to see if we can proceed with that agreement. It is our plan to do so anyway, but I've never been able to see the acutal design to model it as scale as I would have hoped.

The parts are cut and I will inspect them in a couple of days before sending them on the beta builder.

Tom
mmartin55 is offline Find More Posts by mmartin55
Old Apr 06, 2011, 11:06 PM
Plane crazy
USA, CA, Yucaipa
Joined Jul 2010
153 Posts
Tom.

I will dig through the stuff I have on the LK-15 from when my dad passed away. I know that we still have one of the original main spars and a rib blank. The main spar was technologically advanced for it's day. They had used a new method to form the aluminum. I will have to call Dan Pearson, another well renowned pilot and dear friend of my dads. He might have some more of the details on the LK-15.

Sean
Old Apr 07, 2011, 10:09 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,748 Posts
I've wanted to make an LK-10 out of epp for the slope and thermal. About the same dimention's as a DAW Tg-3. I love the partial sub fin and rudder. I might even do a set of plan's.
prodjx is online now Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2011, 04:02 PM
Plane crazy
USA, CA, Yucaipa
Joined Jul 2010
153 Posts
OK. while digging through some of the stuff i have on the various sail planes made and designed by Laister, i came across an interesting 3 view drawing of the CG-10 Trojan Horse. The only thing is that it had engines. ??? anybody know of a powered CG-10 variant??????

Sean
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:10 PM
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
I worked for jack laister and built his sailplanes if any one has a question may I can help? Thanks Don
D shortreed is offline Find More Posts by D shortreed
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:32 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2006
9 Posts
Laister Nugget LP-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by D shortreed View Post
I worked for jack laister and built his sailplanes if any one has a question may I can help? Thanks Don
Hi Don,

Is the Laister Nugget LP-15 suitable for a 220 lb. guy of 6'-3"? What was it known to do very well and with what other ships of the day?

I am shopping for a full scale ship. I see one from 1980 is for sale, SN 14, N97DT

Thanks!
Capt Dave is offline Find More Posts by Capt Dave