SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:48 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshort View Post
I took a look. Waaaay to small. It might have been doable but I think it would have been very frustrating. I'll just wait.
I drank a few beers and it was easy, I just put a small drop of ca on the swash arm and held the ball for 10-15 seconds and sprayed accelerant and it came out great. I tried tweezers at first but the ca stuck the ball to the tweezers, easier to get a bit on your fingers and do it by hand. It's kinda a hack job but so far it's getting me through, I will get a new swash in case but this has worked well in the past on my msr as well.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:08 AM
United States, OK, Ada
Joined Jun 2007
530 Posts
Mine arrived today! (The one I pre-ordered directly from HH on 02/04, eh, hem).

I like it. The outer bearings have the copper out and there is no excessive play in the feather. I think the mesh it too tight, but there is no adjustment, so I'll just have to fly it out...

Its certainly not overpowered, but for my skills its sufficient. I'm most impressed with the FBL software. I did six flights and four of them outdoors in nearly calm conditions. It has no real bad tendencies. I was able to do very FFF, and some "U" shaped stall turns. With no input, the nose tends to float up just a bit when heading into a light wind, and I think the nose drops a little in coordinated turns.

The batts are not very linear - that is the rpms die off rather quickly throughout the flight. I'm hoping as the gear mesh loosens over time that will improve.

Its a charmer, but certainly not a beast......
rcflyair is offline Find More Posts by rcflyair
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:12 AM
Heli Mad
Australia, VIC, Elsternwick
Joined Feb 2002
985 Posts
I just found this Supplemental Pre-Flight Checklist and though it should be shared...

http://www.bladehelis.com/ProdInfo/F...0_Bulletin.pdf
stevebarrow is offline Find More Posts by stevebarrow
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:43 AM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshort View Post
Correct. I broke the ball on the swash assembly. I've also lost one link and broke another! :lol: Just ordered $60 worth of spares from HZ, including a pair of blade grips, another tail boom, and a few other parts.
Bummer. I immediately replaced my mSR plastic swashplate with the microheli aluminum one. I would have done it anyway as I HATE plastic swashplates. I'll be definitely keeping an eye out for such an upgrade for the mCP X. There will, undoubtedly, be one...
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:04 AM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sviking View Post
Bummer. I immediately replaced my mSR plastic swashplate with the microheli aluminum one. I would have done it anyway as I HATE plastic swashplates. I'll be definitely keeping an eye out for such an upgrade for the mCP X. There will, undoubtedly, be one...
But added weight imo isn't worth it. I personally have had some swashes break due to me pulling off links, but all in all I don't mind the plastic ones at all.
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:20 AM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
But added weight imo isn't worth it. I personally have had some swashes break due to me pulling off links, but all in all I don't mind the plastic ones at all.
What added weight? The difference is absolutely negligible. The increased precision? NOT negligible over the stock plastic part. In fact, sometimes plastic parts can weigh more than aluminum replacements.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:32 AM
Can't get enough
Joined May 2010
2,288 Posts
Quote:
What added weight? The difference is absolutely negligible. The increased precision? NOT negligible over the stock plastic part. In fact, sometimes plastic parts can weigh more than aluminum replacements.
Keep in mind aluminum can bend over time.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:49 AM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Keep in mind aluminum can bend over time.
What, in crashes? Sure... But in a heli this light and small? Not worried about it. Besides, the swashplate very rarely takes a direct hit unlike other parts, such as blade grips, rotor hubs, T/R components, etc.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:53 AM
Can't get enough
Joined May 2010
2,288 Posts
Quote:
What, in crashes? Sure... But in a heli this light and small? Not worried about it. Besides, the swashplate very rarely takes a direct hit unlike other parts, such as blade grips, rotor hubs, T/R components, etc.
To each his own
Old Mar 16, 2011, 02:00 AM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
To each his own
Yup. When you're right...you're right...
Old Mar 16, 2011, 02:22 AM
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Quote:
Yup. When you're right...you're right...
Nice of you to compliment Jabsten on his perspective!

This heli is an absolute blast. I am very happy with it overall. I have done a head mod for safety's sake although after 20 or more crashes I have personally had no issue.

What I would like to see...
35C packs (in the works maybe)

All I think it really needs is a revision to the head to make it "everyone" friendly and more constant voltage throughout the pack. The tail gets starved and the main could do with more current when both alot of collective and cyclic are applied at the same time...like trying to bail out of a bodged half piro flip.

Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Old Mar 16, 2011, 03:03 AM
Gone Insane .... Back Soon!!
Joined Dec 2010
1,572 Posts
I'm with sviking on this one.
I too will definitely get the CNC swash when available.
Have you looked at the thickness of the plastic of the ball arms on the plastic swash, way way too thin. I've broken two ball links in crashes already having to replace the swash. Both these crashes were into 4 inch grass too.
Meebo is offline Find More Posts by Meebo
Old Mar 16, 2011, 03:21 AM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Maiden Flight Videos (when my DX6i Pitch Setup was wrong)

Here are the maiden flights for my mCP-X. I was excited to try it out and it was midnight so I did a couple of quick flights in the hotel parking garage. I had to use my stationary iPhone for filming so I was pretty limited in how far and in which directions I could fly and keep the heli in the camera image.

There is one flight in Normal mode and one in Stunt mode. The flight plan for both was pretty simple. See how it hovers, do a bunch of landings and do some simple forward flight. I like to test out a new heli slowly to see how it performs before I get crazy. Plus, I don't like to risk breaking them right away so I'm pretty conservative in the beginning.

Note: during both of these maiden flights my DX6i pitch setting was wrong!

The manual states that the travel adjust for pitch should be 75% which I did. However, I don't have much experience with the DX6i (I normally fly with a DX7 and I'm in the processing changing to a DX8) and I didn't realize that you need to set the 75% Pitch Adjust when the throttle is below mid stick and again when the throttle is above mid stick. Since I hadn't performed the second step whenever I moved my throttle above mid stick (which was the whole flight) I was at 100% pitch and it made the heli VERY sensitive to throttle changes (sudden UP and DOWN movements). I adjusted to it but the heli was a HANDFUL.

I have made videos of subsequent flights where the pitch is correct and it is much easier to hover the mCP-X now.

I really like the mCP-X! I expect to have one in my hanger for a long time.

Normal Mode Maiden

Blade mCPx Micro Helicopter BNF Maiden in Normal Mode (Basic Flight) mCPX #1 (7 min 10 sec)

Stunt Mode Maiden (no stunts, same basic flight plan as the Normal Mode Maiden)

Blade mCPx Micro Helicopter BNF Maiden in Stunt mode (Basic Flight) mCPX #2 (5 min 54 sec)

There are many more heli (mSR, 120 SR, SR and Blade 400), EDF and propeller models on my youTube channel here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/NwRcFlight?feature=mhum
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old Mar 16, 2011, 03:22 AM
Gold Coast Coolangata, Australia
Joined Nov 2003
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meebo View Post
I'm with sviking on this one.
I too will definitely get the CNC swash when available.
Have you looked at the thickness of the plastic of the ball arms on the plastic swash, way way too thin. I've broken two ball links in crashes already having to replace the swash. Both these crashes were into 4 inch grass too.
I think that Eflite just needs to make the rear Elev link a very small amount thicker/stronger. Going to cnc on the whole swash is just going to make it too heavy, and un-necessary imho.

Cheers,
TomC
TomC is offline Find More Posts by TomC
Old Mar 16, 2011, 03:26 AM
Joined Jul 2007
34 Posts
Re: pitch subtrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
There is no substitute for a good mechanical setup. I have built three FBL helis and you want your subtrims as close to zero as possible. If you set up the heads correctly, the bird will fly perfectly from the beginning.
Sure, you can be a purist, but if the servo still stays within max limits for full collective and cyclic ranges, why risk breaking the swash or links every time you pull a servo link off? Sure, if I've got them off already for something, might as well adjust them all to zero subtrim, but if the neutral pitch is off out of the box? Well, it's really easy to use the subtrim. Just check your max ranges and you'll be fine.

Here is a perfect example where pitch subtrim may have given his swash many more flights:

Quote:
Don't feel bad. I did the same thing before I even got to fly my mSR. I was trying to pop a link off to mechanically level the swashplate, which came WAY off out of the box. Ball snapped right off with the link.
pitch subtrim -- I say use it if you've got it.
clintfisher is offline Find More Posts by clintfisher