Closed Thread
Old Jul 16, 2011, 03:49 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Yes, but the instructions did not anticipate continuous filming. Nothing in them about that. It does say "when the camera battery is low power, connect the car charger and continue to work" Not sure that that means continuous video though.

Anyway, I'm trying the skinny again, looking to get continuous 50 minute videos until the 8 gb card is full. Will report if and when successful.
The jumbo is supposed to function exactly like the small #11, so it should cycle continuously (depending on the firmware you have flashed in) with the correct car charger cable, and the battery on mine stayed fully charged when I did a test with the small #11. But that was with the ver. 2 circuitboard, and a slight modification of the charging circuit was done on the ver. 3 circuitboard for the small #11, so not sure now. And the Jumbo is like the ver. 3 #11, I think.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2011, 04:25 PM
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
The mystery is explained in the link to external power in post #3. Maybe you can post a picture of the cables that comes with the jumbo, sounds like they are slightly different from the the smaller versions, (except the plug pinouts are the same for external power).

<edit> I found a picture of the new cables. They have modified the car charger cable... with just the car 12V socket and a plug for the 2 wire extension cable to the camera mini-usb. THAT one will have the two adjacent pins powered on the mini-USB end (we refer to them as pins 4 and 5 here, but x and 4 on your post). That is necessary to power the camera and allow it to automatically start a new recording after a recording stops automatically (from either a programmed S/S/C sequence or from the 4GB file system limit. The other fatter round cord should have 4 wires with normal USB pinouts. This should probably be show in the FAQs... probably best place is in the external power link we already have?<edit>
Perhaps an improved phrasing of that link on post #3 to include "car" "lighter" or so. Its an excellent work by Isoprop ! .
Thx
Ancient1 is offline Find More Posts by Ancient1
Old Jul 16, 2011, 06:09 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Tom,
Tested same as last time with the charge cable....1-50 minute file and 1-11 minute file. This time however no sound issues prior to the end of the 11 minute file.

If I understand correctly, as per the link on post 3, the charge cable must be modified in order to record continuously beyond normal battery life? Cannot be done with the standard cables provided.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jul 16, 2011, 06:30 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,701 Posts
Quote:
Tom,
Tested same as last time with the charge cable....1-50 minute file and 1-11 minute file. This time however no sound issues prior to the end of the 11 minute file.

If I understand correctly, as per the link on post 3, the charge cable must be modified in order to record continuously beyond normal battery life? Cannot be done with the standard cables provided.
You must be referring to standard "generic" USB charger cables. The car charger cables that come with the #11 cameras are not standard, and already configured with the proper pinouts for continuous (multiple timed or 4GB limited) recording cycles. But the car charger that comes with the small #11 works as it should with the special plug pinouts, and the jumbo is is supposed to be functionally identical, so it should work.

But your test sounds like the camera is not being powered by your car charger cable at all. Does your charge indicator LED light up when you plug in the car charger with the camera turned off to confirm it's getting power from the car?

I don't have a Jumbo myself to do any testing. Has any one with a Jumbo done any car charging recording with any of the other three Rel 2 firmware? Maybe someone with a Jumbo that does not have the 50 min. S/S/C firmware in it can see if they can record until the card fills up (or 4GB limit is reached?)
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 16, 2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 06:45 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
You must be referring to standard "generic" USB charger cables. The car charger cables that come with the #11 cameras are not standard, and already configured with the proper pinouts for continuous (multiple timed or 4GB limited) recording cycles. But the car charger that comes with the small #11 works as it should with the special plug pinouts, and the jumbo is is supposed to be functionally identical, so it should work.

But your test sounds like the camera is not being powered by your car charger cable at all. Does your charge indicator LED light up when you plug in the car charger with the camera turned off to confirm it's getting power from the car?

I don't have a Jumbo myself to do any testing.
When I plug it in to the car charger the red led lights.
If I then press the power on button the light turns to amber.
if I hold the power button the light goes off.
The battery is apparently full because the red charge light goes off a minute or so after plugging it in and leaving it alone.

After powering on, while still connected to the car charger, if I hit the movie button, the light blinks and goes out normally. However, when I press the movie button again to stop filming, no light comes on. Perhaps that is normal with external power, but makes it difficult to tell whether you are filming or not.

My guess is that this charger is wired to charge but not run the camera continuously.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 06:59 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
I see now that this cam is not acting like the other...same firmware.
Even off the charger the film/stop light does not come back on when stopping filming.
May try to reflash this one.
Will test the other for continuous video. It has a better battery anyway.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 07:15 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobflyman View Post
Thanks Tony. The beeping is my vario (variometer) on my right leg. (Gps is on left which shows ground speed, direction, glide ratio, has airmap etc.) The vario beeps when I'm in lift. the stronger the lift the faster the beeps. Nice sound. If you're in sink in makes a horrible screech which gets higher the stronger the sink. Horrid sound. It's also shows climb rate, sink rate, height ato and asl. And records the duration of the flight, max height and max sink/lift.

A comment re the software versions and improvements. I think (apart from battery life) it's pretty good now and can't see a great need for 60 fps, esp if it means more lost frames. My frame loss seems to be almost nil.
I'd like to see the green/brown hunting problem fixed. That for me is the only downside to these cams now.
Yes. What a great video. Had me absorbed the whole way through.

These cameras have introduced a whole new level to sports video haven't they? With the quality they produce even the uninvolved public are attracted to the images.
So good, so cheap, so small. A winning combination.

And thanks to Tom for his efforts which has spurned the developers along

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Jul 16, 2011, 07:17 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Nelson View Post
I've been toying with alternative mounting methods on my 4M sailplane. The goal is to capture more of the plane itself, kinda like a floating camera along side the bird.

Below is a 7 minute video featuing my bird struggling in a low and weak thermal. It shows the essence of what I'm trying to do regarding the camera perspective. For those not interested in soaring in a thermal, you can follow the instructions in the video to skip the' boring bits' jumping directly to the landing. FWIW, I too would appreciate 60 fps over 1080p.

tn

<object width="1280" height="750"><param name="movie" value=http://www.youtube.com/v/BdHOmXofmOk...rel=0&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1280" height="750" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Bloody beautiful video!! Superb angle. I watched every second of it.
Hey wouldn't it be great to have a little robotic pilot in there that could make random head movements?

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Jul 16, 2011, 07:50 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
Bloody beautiful video!! Superb angle. I watched every second of it.
Hey wouldn't it be great to have a little robotic pilot in there that could make random head movements?

Kev
I once saw a video where a pilot's head was on a servo "wyed" to either rudder or ailerons, don't recall which, but when turning left, the pilot looked left and vice versa. Not much "wow" factor when flying, but with a camera on board to capture the pilot motion while flying from an angle like this video, it would be very neat!
Old Jul 16, 2011, 08:52 PM
Colorado Mountains
Joined Aug 2010
330 Posts
Here is a similar video with pilot "teddy" with moving hands and head. This should give you some ideas for the #11 cams. There are several similar videos on the tube. Just search "teddy rc airplane".

Teddy Takes Flight! (3 min 30 sec)
zrobbie is online now Find More Posts by zrobbie
Old Jul 16, 2011, 09:43 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Tom,
Success with the second camera on the car charger!
I have two 50 minute videos and a third of 48 minutes, right up to the time I turned it off. It appears that it will film contiunuously until the card fills up.
So either the firmware didn't set up right on the first camera or there is something wrong with the battery circuit.
Video quality is great, each full file is 2.588gb in size and 50 minutes long.
Thanks a million for your patience and assistance.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 09:54 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,701 Posts
Quote:
Tom,
Success with the second camera on the car charger!
I have two 50 minute videos and a third of 48 minutes, right up to the time I turned it off. It appears that it will film contiunuously until the card fills up.
So either the firmware didn't set up right on the first camera or there is something wrong with the battery circuit.
Video quality is great, each full file is 2.588gb in size and 50 minutes long.
Thanks a million for your patience and assistance.
Great! Thanks for testing this... I'm not going crazy after all!
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:01 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Bad lab equipment it seems. Sorry for the run-around.
I'll try this good camera on straight battery now to see if it's up to spec and will get something near 100 minutes. Wish me luck.
Will report.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 01:13 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
16 Posts
Thank you JumpySticks for the test.
You save me from doing the same test
starhubber is offline Find More Posts by starhubber
Old Jul 17, 2011, 01:45 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,701 Posts
FAKE #11HD Camera Alert

I have been advised by the #11 developer that there is an Ebay seller that is selling fake versions of the #11. Their ads have stolen the exact specs and images from the listings of his eight eBay vendors listed in post #2. They look like the real deal at a bargain price ($30 delivered with an 8GB memory card!), but the developer has confirmed they are NOT his cameras, and so far there is no information on their performance.

SO BUYER BEWARE! The fake #11 camera eBay seller is: fashionjewellery125

If anyone finds any definitive information on the performance of these fake cameras, please provide details to me here.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 17, 2011 at 01:56 AM.
Closed Thread