Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 29, 2007, 03:33 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
Alert
Souper 30

Tim, I just wanted to let you know that I bought a Campbell's Souper 30 kit from you and the plan has a flaw. The fuselage plan as looking from the top for the tail taper section is untrue by about 1/8 of an inch. I think my plane will fly anyway - I didn't notice the flaw untill I had finished building the fuse and looked at it from a different angle. I know I didn't make a building mistake, I built right on the plan. I checked the plan and double checked the plan with a T - square. I don't need you to replace the kit with a new one or give me a refund but maybe the Souper 30 kit should be recalled and the plan re drawn. Kevin
kevin matthews is offline Find More Posts by kevin matthews
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2007, 03:25 AM
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Feb 2007
320 Posts
If there is a problem with the plan it is not really Tims fault, nor can he guarantee every plan and kit he sells as being 100% free form any small discrepancy in the plan. I have built I don't know how many kits and I think almost every one of them have had some small thing, even laser cut kits still have parts that don't quite fit. Such is the life of a builder of balsa models.
The Kit in question is kitted by Lee Campbell not Tim, or Peck Polymers, so any problems with the plan therein would be best directed to Mr Campbell himself, a very fair individual, whom I am sure would look into it, and do whatever was required to make a customer happy, whether the kit is purchase direct from him or through a dealer such as Tim.
You must realize that paper is in a constant state of change, basically it is breaking down, so it stretches, and moves, and lines stretch and pull, the bigger the plan the worse it can get, and it can get pretty bad. I will usually check plans with a large steel strait edge, checking the datums(and drawing new ones don't trust the ones on the plan even if they 'look' straight), down the center of the fuselage, leading and trailing edges, wing halves are equal in length, elevator halves as well. On most plans unless they are brand new, just printed, fresh crisp paper, you will find significant deviations.
While it seems to fly in the face of all that is aero-modeling, I have just come to accept it as being a small price to pay(checking plans to start with) for a hobby that gives me so much joy and reward.
Just a couple of points I thought should be raised in response to Kevins post.
So with all that said if it is a really bad gaff, you would do well to alert Mr Campbell so that he might look into it and remedy the situation if required.
Take care,
-Grais.
Graiskye is offline Find More Posts by Graiskye
Old Sep 07, 2007, 01:22 PM
Peck Polymers
Joined Jan 2007
96 Posts
Kevin,

I am sorry that you had difficulty with the kit due to the plans. You should pass the feedback along to Lee Campbell at thermalpiglet@yahoo.com

Not sure how soon he could make an alteration. The economics of the free flight kit market is such that normally you have a large number of the plans printed at one time and then use them up over a period of many years.

Tim
Peck Polymers
A2ZTim is offline Find More Posts by A2ZTim
Old Dec 19, 2007, 02:09 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
Tim, Just to let you know - I emailed Lee Campbell about the Souper 30 plan flaw. I'm sorry I didn't get around to it earlyer. Kevin
kevin matthews is offline Find More Posts by kevin matthews