HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2005, 11:08 AM
I broke my kerpellor.
Salt Lake City
Joined Sep 2004
2,430 Posts
Th' Jug is beautiful! Nice B/W pics, too.

Guillows should do a little revamping for E-conversions, suggest some power packages, etc. with the kits - there is an explosion of opportunity going on now and they could probably sell a lot more kits.
Artemetra is offline Find More Posts by Artemetra
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2005, 12:12 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
Since it's winter here in Michigan, I've been busy building the Rufe. I've had great success with the Hellcat http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=468906 which inspired me to try a float plane. Not even sure if the float can be made functional at this point. If not it will at least make landing on the snow interesting. Weight is my only concern, I decided to go with the scale aileron setup, on my hellcat I had increased the wing area. Since I want to try to preserve the original look this time out. It might end up being a very expensive static model. My Hellcat flies great, I hope this Rufe does just as well.

Kin

http://www.embeddedtronics.com/
kfong is offline Find More Posts by kfong
Last edited by kfong; Dec 10, 2005 at 12:21 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 01:06 PM
United States, FL, Navarre
Joined May 2004
274 Posts
Thanks for the compliment on my Jug!

Good luck on your RUFE.
You could make the main and external floats out of foam if you intended on flying it from the water.

I really think Guillows would sell a lot more kits if they switched entirly to laser cutting. There plans are outstanding. There vacume formed parts are pretty good too. On the other hand Guillows will sell you the plans and vacume formed parts seperatly if you ask for them. I wonder how much it would cost to have a kit like the B-17 or P-38 laser cut out of contest grade balsa instead of die crushed hard balsa?
Madguns is offline Find More Posts by Madguns
Old Dec 10, 2005, 05:25 PM
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
I plan to make sure the doculam seals the floats and seal it with paint as well.

I was thinking the same thing, just order the plans for the bigger planes. I can scan them on my computer and use my cnc mill to cut them out. This would also allow me to do any mods for equipment, ect. and play around with the overall design.

Kin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madguns
Thanks for the compliment on my Jug!

Good luck on your RUFE.
You could make the main and external floats out of foam if you intended on flying it from the water.

I really think Guillows would sell a lot more kits if they switched entirly to laser cutting. There plans are outstanding. There vacume formed parts are pretty good too. On the other hand Guillows will sell you the plans and vacume formed parts seperatly if you ask for them. I wonder how much it would cost to have a kit like the B-17 or P-38 laser cut out of contest grade balsa instead of die crushed hard balsa?
Old Dec 11, 2005, 02:31 PM
United States, FL, Navarre
Joined May 2004
274 Posts
I wonder ???

Has anyone laser cut a Guillows B-17 ?
Madguns is offline Find More Posts by Madguns
Old Dec 11, 2005, 05:07 PM
Joined Mar 2005
272 Posts
Please keep updates. thankx
GIEric is offline Find More Posts by GIEric
Old Dec 11, 2005, 05:28 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
kfong,
you can hack out a whole bunch of weight on the guillows kits.
all the fuse formers can be cut to near nothing and still provide strength. if you scallop the formers in between the longerons, it will give you a nice round look when you cover.
you can also use WBPU (water based polyurithane) to seal up the floats. i use minwax stuff. two ways to buy this product, spray can or brush on. krylon works too.
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 12, 2005, 11:09 AM
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
I've scalloped the hellcat to get it light. Will do the same for the RUFE, the problem that is currently showing up is the plane is quite tail heavy. I'll have a better feel for the outcome once I get a cdrom motor installed. I can move the battery forward a little bit more if needed. I should of packed all the equipment as far forward as possible, but looking at my work, I only see the elevator servo as a possible change in layout.

I plan not to add weight to get it to balance. The floats are heavy, but I really like the look and will try to make it all work. The things I did different in this design was the use of torque rods for ailerons. I actually like this method better, but it would of been difficult to implement on the Hellcat. Installed the smaller 3.6gm blue arrow servos. Cut down wiring to lighten the electronics and access to the battery. Used sheeted 1/32 balsa to make covering easier around the fuse and wing area. Use 2 CF rods for the wing spars. The new battery is an etech 450ma. Nice size to work with, but I think the 300ma might be what's required to get this to fly good. I don't know how much weight I gained by going with the larger pack, at least I will be able to change the battery if needed.

Kin,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdirt
kfong,
you can hack out a whole bunch of weight on the guillows kits.
all the fuse formers can be cut to near nothing and still provide strength. if you scallop the formers in between the longerons, it will give you a nice round look when you cover.
you can also use WBPU (water based polyurithane) to seal up the floats. i use minwax stuff. two ways to buy this product, spray can or brush on. krylon works too.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 09:11 PM
Palm City, Fl
Joined Oct 1999
70 Posts
Piper Tri Pacer

Moving on after my some-what successful Guillows Hurricane conversion:

I have a Herr Engineering Tri-Pacer sitting on the workbench and was hoping some of the pro-conversions guys on this thread have converted this model, or another model similar in size. It has a wingspan of 18" and it looks like it has more room inside than the little Hurricane did.

I have included a picture from their website of an unfinished model.

Sean
Telstar is offline Find More Posts by Telstar
Old Dec 16, 2005, 06:44 PM
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
Here is an update on the RUFE, so far the build is coming along nicely. I really like the looks of it. All the equipment is in place except for the cdrom motor. Will be flying it before it gets painted just to see how she does. Still have to get the rest of the plane covered and the motor mount installed.

Kin,

Last edited by kfong; Dec 16, 2005 at 06:51 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 07:12 PM
I just love flying
Traverse City ,MI
Joined Dec 2005
889 Posts
hey

I'm in the process of converting the Guillows PT-19 28''. It is at my other house so no pics yet. I'll try to get some soon. The paint scheem is a red fusalage with yellow wings and a red and yellow tail. Pics soon.
Matt
MattZC is offline Find More Posts by MattZC
Old Dec 16, 2005, 07:21 PM
Joined Oct 2005
659 Posts
Kin,

nice !
peterp1964 is offline Find More Posts by peterp1964
Old Dec 17, 2005, 02:43 PM
Joined Mar 2005
272 Posts
I am about to start building a guillows 16 1/2 span 500 serries model(not sure which one yet). Anyway I have a couple questions. First off, Would it be possible to convert the spit? Iam not sure if it has sufficient room inside.Second, would it be better to use silkspan rather than tissue? would the extra stength over-rule the extra weight? Thanks in advance
Old Dec 17, 2005, 03:45 PM
Innsbruck/Tirol/Austria
Joined Jul 2005
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love girls
I am about to start building a guillows 16 1/2 span 500 serries model(not sure which one yet). Anyway I have a couple questions. First off, Would it be possible to convert the spit? Iam not sure if it has sufficient room inside.Second, would it be better to use silkspan rather than tissue? would the extra stength over-rule the extra weight? Thanks in advance
I´m doing the Spitfire @ the moment, but it seems to me impossible to get the RC part in the fuselage it´s to slim. If you realy wanna do one of the micro Guillow´s choose one with a radial engine like the Avenger or the Focke-Wulf that would be much easier to convert
B-29 is offline Find More Posts by B-29
Old Dec 17, 2005, 07:26 PM
Joined Mar 2005
272 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I just purchased the hellcat and I plan on redoing the former and most other major parts which are either "di-crushed" or made of extremely dence balsa.thanks again.