HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:00 PM
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Jan 2014
319 Posts
Idea
38" to 24" wing F-14 Tomcat style

Hey guys! I had an idea for a wing that changes the wing from a 38" wing span to a 24" wingspan. Exactly what the F-14 Tomcat does. There is a guy who made a Tomcat that make the wings move back and forth. His plans are free and accepts donations for his hard work in creating this function. I don't have link right now, but will post it when I find it again.

Anyhoo, so this wing conversion was awesom and figure I design a wing with it. Same affects applies in this as well. 38" mode will provide great pitch, but less roll and with 24" mode Roll is increase, but sacrifices pitch. You basically have 2 flight modes with these conversions. And of course you can use high/low rates to fine tune your flying style.

I began designing this wing and stumbled on some difficulties that which (hopefully) that you very well experienced pilots can aid me on my venture. I will post up pics when I get home tonight from work. Thr trouble I'm having us creating a proper fusalage for the right equipment for this size bird. I don't want to create too big of a fusalage nor do I want to make a too small of a space for equipment.

The 2nd trouble I ran into is finding the right CG, but won't know for sure until I start my build. I just figured I might have trouble due to where all the weight points are.

It looks like an amazing project and can't wait to start building.

You'll know more once you see pics tonight.

Wolphe
Wolphe is online now Find More Posts by Wolphe
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:50 PM
Joined Jan 2014
319 Posts
Here is the link of the creator for the Tomcat rc plane.

http://www.parkjets.com/f14-tomcat

It provides links to rcgroups threads and link to plans. Also if you just want to buy the parts, links are there as well.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 05:53 PM
Joined Jan 2014
319 Posts
Here is what I have come up with. Pictures below shows one side 42 degrees back which will be a 24 inch wingspan and other side shows the wing all the way out which make a 38 inch wingspan. One picture will show the mechanics of changing wing positions and others are just angle shots.

This wing has 2 inspirations, obviously one is what I have already noted (RC Tomcat) and other from KFM airfoils which I am somewhat using the KFM4 style wings.

As you can see the GoPro mount is pretty close to the conversion mechanism so there isn't room to put anything else in that area. On the other side of the mechanism will have a narrow space in between the wings. I think I can fit some kind of fitting fuselage there, but weight is all over the middle from front to back.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I will keep at it.

Wolphe
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:03 AM
Joined Jan 2014
319 Posts
I think I may have figured a way to make it work. Won't know for sure till I start the build soon, but it does look promising.

Here is what I have so far. I may change the wing shape a little bit.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:33 AM
Joined Jan 2014
319 Posts
Just ordered some materials for this build. Instead of using wood for the mechanism, I will be using G10 plates. I'm also going to use dollar tree foam just for prototyping. If it works well, ill use epp in the next build.