HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2014, 11:41 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2012
39 Posts
Discussion
Electric FPV Bird of Time Conversion

Hi. I finally decided to start with the conversion of my Bird of Time to electric.
I started taking out the lead shot/epoxy nose weight, but cannot take any more out. What tool can be used to get the rest of it out?
Rfriedman is offline Find More Posts by Rfriedman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2014, 09:23 AM
Grau Adler
United States, CO, Evergreen
Joined Mar 2012
35 Posts
I used a small hammer and punch, tap away one or two at a time.
do every thing you can to get weight forward. I had to use a 4s4200 1lb battery to get the cg needed. The airplane flew fine but could not be stopped on landing, it was like a freight train.
Terry Grau is offline Find More Posts by Terry Grau
Old Jul 06, 2014, 03:22 PM
Joined Jul 2012
39 Posts
I got all the weight out, and sanded down the extra epoxy or whatever that was until it was flush.

In the plane, I plan on making it an FPV plane to ridge soar the foothills of Boulder. I will eventually want to put a 1.3ghz VTX, APM autopilot (it fits), and UHF.

For now, I need to get it flying.
The plane was given to my brother and I for free by a nice customer of Skipmillermodels. I repaired the wing a while ago, but the metal tube (stab?) connecting the 2 elevators was bent, and I threw it out without getting measurements. Anyone have the dimensions, inside and outside diameters of the piece?

As for the power setup, I am thinking a 200 watt setup, as the motor is only to get it 1000 feet up. Wind will do the rest of the work.
What is a motor you recommend? Max prop size?

I will continue to have lots of questions, but will post some cool videos once it is complete.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 04:24 PM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfriedman View Post
...I repaired the wing a while ago, but the metal tube (stab?) connecting the 2 elevators was bent, and I threw it out without getting measurements. Anyone have the dimensions, inside and outside diameters of the piece?...
Just call Dynafite 1-217-398-8970 Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm U.S. Central Time. and ask if they can help you. They're very good and helpful and might just send you the small baggie of hardware you need. I know they did it for me when I was missing several hardware pieces on a BOT ARF I got from someone here on RCG.

As far as a BOT electric conversion motor and power plant, this is what I did to my ARF BOT (glass fuse): http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...&postcount=183 and mine climbs @ 45deg. easily. On the ARF version you need quite a bit of weight up front, so why not make it useful weight?
eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Aug 11, 2014, 04:49 PM
Joined Jun 2010
640 Posts
Can anyone tell me whether the BOT ARF wing fits the BOT kit version fuselage?
I was thinking about building an electric version using the kit fuse combined with the ARF wing to make it easier for custom mods, etc.

cliff
cliffkot is offline Find More Posts by cliffkot
Old Yesterday, 11:04 PM
Joined Jul 2012
39 Posts
Bird of time electric for sale. It was flown electric with old power setup but I decided to use a different plane for fpv. Pm me if you are interested. Airframe for sale $100, electronics are also for sale ( hacker a208xl, thunderbird 54 esc, 12x6 graupner folding prop- all electronics brand new unflown). Plane is tailheavy so can carry lots of fpv gear.