HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:17 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Aug 2013
38 Posts
Question
added features for the kk2 board???

Hi,

I am currently working on building a return to remote style fail-safe that will be compatible with the kk2 board (likely, it will work with other boards as well). And am looking for some input on what other features people would like to be able to add to their kk2, or similar board, as I would like to eventually sell this board.

I am doing this because, I think that many people (like me) have a kk2 board (or similar) and want to add an additional feature (for me, thats a return to remote failsafe) But don't want to have to buy an expensive flight controller.

As an added bonus, if anyone has and Idea for a feature they would like to see added that I end up using, I will send them a board for testing.

Thanks,
Josh
Joshuamcd22 is offline Find More Posts by Joshuamcd22
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:09 AM
Firmware Fiend
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2013
1,409 Posts
Hey Josh,
Yeah, like you mentioned, "Return to Home" or "Return to Landing" would be handy. A "Follow-me" function would be fun to use once in a while (girls love dudes with pet robots!!). Although they're not "functions," components such as a Mag and Barometer would enable one to use many useful functions. Altitude hold, heading hold (I know I'm rattling off a lot of functions that use GPS, but hey, we're just kickin' ideas around, right?), a better LCD screen....really, if you can DIAL IN some stability to where you don't have to do a whole lot of tuning to get a perfect, drift-free hover, the board will be a runaway success. In any case, I wish you luck, because I'm a cheapskate, so whatever you come up with, if it's even marginally better than my KK2.1 and is in the same ballpark as far as price goes, you'll earn my business. I'll periodically blurt out dream features as I think of them.
The Quasar is online now Find More Posts by The Quasar
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Cap-bill Mobius Mount
Old Dec 30, 2013, 08:37 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2010
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quasar View Post
Hey Josh,
Yeah, like you mentioned, "Return to Home" or "Return to Landing" would be handy. A "Follow-me" function would be fun to use once in a while (girls love dudes with pet robots!!). Although they're not "functions," components such as a Mag and Barometer would enable one to use many useful functions. Altitude hold, heading hold (I know I'm rattling off a lot of functions that use GPS, but hey, we're just kickin' ideas around, right?), a better LCD screen....really, if you can DIAL IN some stability to where you don't have to do a whole lot of tuning to get a perfect, drift-free hover, the board will be a runaway success. In any case, I wish you luck, because I'm a cheapskate, so whatever you come up with, if it's even marginally better than my KK2.1 and is in the same ballpark as far as price goes, you'll earn my business. I'll periodically blurt out dream features as I think of them.
as above and I would purchase as well,great idea,Marty.
NEAGRON is online now Find More Posts by NEAGRON
Old Dec 30, 2013, 08:55 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Aug 2013
38 Posts
Quote:
Hey Josh,

Thanks for you input! I will keep you updated on my progress.

If you do think of anything else, please let me know!

Thanks,
Josh
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:34 PM
Firmware Fiend
Joined Nov 2013
1,409 Posts
O. S. D. !!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2013, 02:33 AM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Aug 2013
38 Posts
Quote:
O. S. D. !!
Not a bad idea.... To start off, I am going to be building more of a flight control system/auto pilot. But, that would be something that I will look at in the future!

Thanks,
Josh
Old Jan 15, 2014, 01:23 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Aug 2013
38 Posts
Update!

Ok, so a bit of an update:

I am likely going to market this as a kk board adon, although it could be used as the whole flight controller, It would work best with a kk board (or similar).

I will be ordering the needed parts in the next few days (so last chance to request features, even if it is a far-fetched dream, I want to hear it!)

I will likely building the board based off of an stm32 microcontroller, as I have the needed development platform already.

I have loosely decided on a name for the product, and want your feedback, i'm looking at calling it something like: Flight Controller Enhancement Module, ie: FCEM. Ok, that was a bad idea (try saying that acronym out loud...). Any recomendations for a better name would be great!

Thanks,
Josh
Old Jan 15, 2014, 01:27 PM
Firmware Fiend
Joined Nov 2013
1,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuamcd22 View Post
Ok, so a bit of an update:

I am likely going to market this as a kk board adon, although it could be used as the whole flight controller, It would work best with a kk board (or similar).

I will be ordering the needed parts in the next few days (so last chance to request features, even if it is a far-fetched dream, I want to hear it!)

I will likely building the board based off of an stm32 microcontroller, as I have the needed development platform already.

I have loosely decided on a name for the product, and want your feedback, i'm looking at calling it something like: Flight Controller Enhancement Module, ie: FCEM. Ok, that was a bad idea (try saying that acronym out loud...). Any recomendations for a better name would be great!

Thanks,
Josh
Sounds promising. The name/acronym doesn't sound bad at all; very practical and descriptive with respect to the intended purpose of the module. Looking forward to seeing it come to fruition. Let me know if you need someone to run tests. I'm also pretty handy with 3D printing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2014, 01:42 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Aug 2013
38 Posts
Quote:
Sounds promising. The name/acronym doesn't sound bad at all; very practical and descriptive with respect to the intended purpose of the module. Looking forward to seeing it come to fruition. Let me know if you need someone to run tests. I'm also pretty handy with 3D printing.
Thanks for your kind words, but believe me, try reading that acronym out-loud (it sounds like f em)

Also, I am definitely looking for people to run tests, and once I have a working prototype, I would be glad to send one your way.

As for the 3-D printing, I may eventually need to prototype a case for it, so if you are willing to print that out for me, that could be quite helpful! (that wouldn't be for a while though as that is one of the last steps in development)
Last edited by Joshuamcd22; Jan 15, 2014 at 07:04 PM.