HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:11 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,110 Posts
Question
Which tail for a 3.5m vulture???

I'll be soon acquiring a used 3.5 m Vulture that I'm converting to electric by buying an E fuse,, I have the option of using the V tails that are already on this pure version ,,, or,,, paying an additional $150 to get cross tail. My background is mostly slope, where most preffered V Tails,, but I keep hearing that most Thermal pilots preffer cross tails, because they feel they're better for thermal turns????? Any thoughts or opinions on this????
I know this has been an ongoing debate for a loooooooong time among sailplane pilots. But I've never had this choice on the same plane before. Just wondering what others think in this particular application,, maybe someone who has had experience with the vulture 3.5???
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2013, 12:03 PM
SHADYBOY
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Feb 2005
77 Posts
I have a Vulture V tail and really its a very good flying airplane. It's a little heavy at 79 oz. But I really enjoyed flying it. I had a little mishap in Feb with the fuse. I ordered a X tail from SMM and have not recieved it yet so I can't give you a comparison. But I believe the X tail has a longer nose on it so you could use a lighter motor and bring the weight down. For that reason alone I would say X tail.
roseberry is offline Find More Posts by roseberry
Old Aug 30, 2013, 12:14 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
I have a Vulture V tail and really its a very good flying airplane. It's a little heavy at 79 oz. But I really enjoyed flying it. I had a little mishap in Feb with the fuse. I ordered a X tail from SMM and have not recieved it yet so I can't give you a comparison. But I believe the X tail has a longer nose on it so you could use a lighter motor and bring the weight down. For that reason alone I would say X tail.
That's a good point. What motor, battery, etc you using in yours???
I'd be OK with AUW of 79oz,,, although I'd be happier with a little less.
Those V tails SURE look sexy on her though, huh??? ;-)

Ps edit : at AUW of 79oz,,, that works out to a 9.6 oz/sq ft Wingloading ,, I'm ok with under 10 in a plane that size,,, but I suppose she would float better with under 9 huh???
Do you find she responds to camber well??? She looks like she has BIG flaps
A friend of mine flys a 3.7 meter e Sharon that weighs about 100oz with Wingloading above 11oz per sqft,,, and it floats amazingingly well!!! He usually always places in top 3 in ALES comps at SVSS against ALOT of good pilots and planes MUCH lighter. ;-) his only problem seems to be NOT busting expensive carbon props with his 1100 watt 5S power set up. :-O
Think I might try a small 4s battery with a good in runner gear drive like a neu or hacker, or maybe one of the new Jeti race motors
Last edited by Airman74; Aug 30, 2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 01:15 PM
SHADYBOY
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Feb 2005
77 Posts
Oh yeah love those V's I used a Hyperion GS3025 and 2600 3 Hyperion battery Castle Lite Ice 75 and 10 amp bec. Futaba 3150 slims on all but ail I think Airt 809's on ail.

Yes it response well to camber I flew it mostly insection until i found lift the added thermal camber and away she went. I only used the reflex/speed setting on launch. as it was fast enough and covered good ground in cruise at least for me. It slows down very well with flaps for landing. I didn't use crow.

The only thing holding this plane back form being with best is the weight. It gives up 14 ozs to my electra and stork. It was only 4 ozs lighter than my X4.0Mk I which is a much bigger plane.

Long story short you will be suprised at how well it flys.
roseberry is offline Find More Posts by roseberry
Old Aug 30, 2013, 02:28 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
Oh yeah love those V's I used a Hyperion GS3025 and 2600 3 Hyperion battery Castle Lite Ice 75 and 10 amp bec. Futaba 3150 slims on all but ail I think Airt 809's on ail.

Yes it response well to camber I flew it mostly insection until i found lift the added thermal camber and away she went. I only used the reflex/speed setting on launch. as it was fast enough and covered good ground in cruise at least for me. It slows down very well with flaps for landing. I didn't use crow.

The only thing holding this plane back form being with best is the weight. It gives up 14 ozs to my electra and stork. It was only 4 ozs lighter than my X4.0Mk I which is a much bigger plane.

Long story short you will be suprised at how well it flys.
For price I got this plane for, I'm ok with the extra 14oz,, as long as it thermals well,, can always use that extra weight on windy days. ;-)
Thanks for the info,, think I might just keep her as a V Tail since they look soooo cool!! ;-)

Jerry in Chico