Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:43 PM
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
1,973 Posts
Question
1m DLG for newbee

Hi all. A friend of mine is just getting into gliders and loves my DLGs, but he wants a smaller size. I know there are several 1m gliders out there but I'm not familiar with the more popular entry level ones.

Here's the criteria: 1m or less, pre-built components to assemble, $100 or less.

Thanks guys.
Kevin.
RCDad is offline Find More Posts by RCDad
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:42 PM
No place like cloud base......
United States, VT
Joined Aug 2012
425 Posts
I think that with so many sub 1 meter sub $100 requests from new pilots (Myself included), we should make a sticky thread on "Your first DLG".

I personally don't have an opinion on the matter- I haven't scraped together enough money to get one, but the Topsky Mini is a great pick.

How bout this?
http://www.arthobby.com/index.php?pa...ry=31&item=249

-SuperBarlow
SuperBarlow is offline Find More Posts by SuperBarlow
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:06 AM
Joined Apr 2009
348 Posts
Its not a dlg, no sub fin, no throwing blade, no v dihedral, file under 'Fling'
mrdoodah is online now Find More Posts by mrdoodah
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:47 AM
GARNER NC
Joined Apr 2009
448 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
kunclebuc is offline Find More Posts by kunclebuc
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:21 AM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
As a builder and designer I would say the Binary is the best bang for the buck. The wing has a much better plan form and the tails should be lighter.

I have been kicking around the idea of doing and mini and with my son wanting to fly it may happen sooner rather than later.

Paul
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:42 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,118 Posts
Check out this thread...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1765251

I have one inbound for a review. It is only 2 channel and does look to be built pretty lightly. I will have more information in a week or two.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:46 AM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,664 Posts
I have heard good things about this little bugger also http://www.liftworx.com/swyft/
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:57 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined May 2011
468 Posts
FYI the Swyft is a great little plane, but I believe they just recently went out of production. ;-(

-John
jbarnhardt is online now Find More Posts by jbarnhardt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Latest creation...
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:46 PM
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
1,973 Posts
Wow, really good suggestions. Most of these listed are nice gliders, but may be to delicate for a newbee. By newbee I mean this guy just started learing to fly! Two times now on my buddy box flying a 2m Pussy Cat on an inland slope.

In one of the posts I saw an Apogee sport. It seems pretty robust (heavy)How are they? Or something similar.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:04 PM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,664 Posts
The Alula is surprisingly tough but a bit twitchy to control

http://www.dream-flight.com/alula.html
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:34 PM
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
1,973 Posts
Yeah, the Alula is a good one, but can be a bit pitch sensitive if not setup well (or if you are hard on the sticks).

Kevin
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:23 AM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
3,002 Posts
I'm flying an art hobby bobolink for my first dlg. Its great.pretty rugged and flys well. I've read that they are too heavy to thermal but no one told mine.or maybe I'm just awesome.but it goes up in v light lift for sure. Ive been having fun ds'ing it.my 2c,ymmv etc.
gizzo is online now Find More Posts by gizzo
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:05 AM
United Kingdom, England, Wiltshire
Joined Apr 2011
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCDad View Post
In one of the posts I saw an Apogee sport. It seems pretty robust (heavy)How are they?
Apogee Sport is no longer produced I'm afraid. Even the website that used to host the instructions vanished recently. They were a balsa kit produced by Jose E. Bruzual under the name of Fly ECM. As balsa kits they were not what you could call components to put together - they were a build in the true sense of the word and, ideally, you'd have some experience building small balsa models before starting one.

The closest you can get to one of these that meets your requirements since they are based on the exact same original Apogee design by Mark Drela is one of either the Topsky Mini or the Vladmir Models Elf (though it's a little more expensive).
ThermalSniffer is offline Find More Posts by ThermalSniffer