Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Discussion
Balsa and Lite Ply Scratch and Kit Build Forum

New Forum Suggestion
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forum Name: Balsa and Lite Ply Scratch and Kit Build Forum

Category: Builders Workshop

Description: A place for scratch builders and kit builders to share build logs, building techniques, problems, plans and there own designs.

Justification: It's very hard to find Scratch builds around and share techniques on how to do them. Normally you can only find a ARF being put together. Also the foam builders can have their own forums so why cant we .

Cast your vost

If you want to see this forum created then cast your vote by clicking "post a reply" and then typing YES or NO with your comment. Thanks everybody i'd love to see this forum being used
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2012, 04:36 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,829 Posts
Yes "N" No...
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Last edited by Keenan smith; Jun 08, 2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old May 09, 2012, 04:58 PM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Thanks
Old May 09, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Nov 2011
89 Posts
Yes, +1 one for me. It's nice to see a good balsa build. If the forum gets going I have a few very old balsa kits that are untouched and I would like to share if there is any interest.
scallopking is offline Find More Posts by scallopking
Last edited by scallopking; May 09, 2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: My spelling is weak.
Old May 10, 2012, 01:19 AM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Thats 2 votes just 48 more
Old May 10, 2012, 02:55 AM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,130 Posts
No.

All types of balsa builds are regularly discussed in the builder's forum, the vintage forum, the free flight forum, the indoor forum etc. Also, there is nothing to stop balsa build discussion in both the existing 'electric plane talk' and 'fuel plane talk' forums (they aren't just for foamies or ARTFs!).

If by 'scratch' build you mean planes that have been designed from scratch, as opposed to being built from kits or plans, maybe you could start an 'aircraft design' forum instead (if there isn't one already).
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Old May 10, 2012, 07:03 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,405 Posts
yes.

I'd like to see a forum dedicated to total scratch builds only...I mean from day one ! When the thought pops into your head,until it's a reality.
Until I get some of my 'missions' accomplished,I'm spread too thin.I don't think you can establish a correct Forum ,until you can lay down some ground rules...

How broad a spectrum,what materials to include,(balsa,foam,fiberglass,solid,etc.),what style,(scale,fun,sport,),and so on.

I'll be willing to contribute,I have years of experience,and I do my share of scratch building.
I can see from some posts,that there needs to be some in-depth training tools,and I'll start that today in my building the 175% Sparky.Things that come so naturally to me now,others may have no clue how to start.

I'm in!
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports
Old May 10, 2012, 08:37 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,509 Posts
I have to vote no...there are simply too many forums and that tends to fragment things. I don't want to go to the balsa forum to look up the build of a scale model, or a balsa sailplane, or a balsa sport model, or a balsa giant scale model, etc, etc.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old May 10, 2012, 10:37 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
Yes

I think it may just push some of the strictly foam people to give balsa a shot, as well as may be more attractive to new builders.

I think it should encompass balsa building in general. Some have mentioned that the threads are convoluted already, and that there is already a builders forum, yet the foam scratch builds do not fall into that category.

I ask what's the harm in trying it out to see if there is a need for it?
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old May 10, 2012, 01:03 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,150 Posts
Do it, do it, just do it!

That is a YES.
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old May 10, 2012, 01:49 PM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,470 Posts
Yes please, because the scale, parkflyer and other forums are full of ARF's and flying packing material. No offense to anyone, but I care very little about Arf's and especially packing material with wings.

However, I am seriously considering buying Sparky's book on foam scratch building because the teqniques he uses look like master scale level and they don't look like other "foamies".

Dave
payne9999 is offline Find More Posts by payne9999
Old May 10, 2012, 11:20 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,402 Posts
Yes...

.... to a scratch build forum, i.e you start with an idea, draw the plans, build it. I think this may spark some interest in designing and building techniques, and would be very informative. I don't mind if there's carbon fibre, foam, fibreglass or whatever included in the build.

Besides, I love to follow a good build along.

Odd
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old May 11, 2012, 01:35 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
I vote yes. Its too much trouble to find scratch builds every where.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old May 11, 2012, 01:47 AM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Thanks guys spread the word we got 8 we need 42 more
Old May 11, 2012, 04:43 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,358 Posts
I build with any thing i can even the kitchen sink if it has a part i could use but i have only built with balsa and ply for 30 years. I have just started to build with a little foam board but my heart lies in the balsa trees . Iam sighned up. YES ! joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Last edited by cracksmeup; May 11, 2012 at 07:38 PM.
Closed Thread