Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:31 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocket rocket View Post

what's basketball ??

A sport with an orange ball about the size of a watermelon, hoops that the primary objective is to get the orange ball into , tall people, flopping on the ground to try to draw a whistle, occasionally bouncing the orange ball , and tattoos.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:21 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,643 Posts
Get rid team protection before the try outs PLEASE
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:43 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Barnes View Post
Anybody got an e that they can spare?
fixd
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:28 AM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,846 Posts
Wont happen George, they are fixed on picking the "best team", not the best flyers. Some kind of F3J thing I guess.

Although you and Charlie are one heck of a pair.

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:06 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,643 Posts
At the worlds it is three man not two men. And in the fly offs no team To many beers maybe. Look Tom did the vote was voted out yet still there sounds like our government. Why?
Last edited by rcgeorge; Jun 11, 2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:11 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,656 Posts
OMG, LOL, and a few other TLAs

tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:12 AM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryO View Post
Wont happen George, they are fixed on picking the "best team", not the best flyers. Some kind of F3J thing I guess.

Although you and Charlie are one heck of a pair.

Gary
Gary,

By giving the pilots a way to be sure they have a caller/timer they are familiar with and can trust, reduces the chances of the top pilots losing points due to errors made in communication or timing. Team protection improves the likelihood of the top pilots making the team due to their skill and not losing due to a communication problem or mistake by an unfamiliar caller. With team protection, the pilot has the opportunity to train with their selected caller to minimize the chance of errors. With team protection, the pilot has no one to blame but themselves if there are issues between them and their caller.

It is my job and the TS committee's job to ensure that the TS process gives the best chance to select the best team to represent the US. If we lived in a world without personality conflicts and differences in calling styles, or any of the myriad of "deficiencies" that exist in the human condition, I would agree that it doesn't matter who calls for who. We don't live in that world. By providing a system that ensures the pilot will have a caller they have trained with and figured out how to work effectively together, the pilot has the best chance of flying to their full ability. Without this, there is a luck factor introduced in the callers available to pick from. While one may argue that the best pilots should be able to overcome any differences or problems that they may have with their caller, there are some issues that are impossible to overcome regardless of the pilots skill. The team selection is not the place you want to find out that a particular caller is notoriously slow in starting the watch or someone gets so nervous when calling they can't answer your questions quickly or correctly.

Their will be team protection at the TS. If the pilot doesn't like it, they don't have to use it. That is their choice.

Tom
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:17 AM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgeorge View Post
At the worlds it is three man not two men. And in the fly offs no team retards
That's why if a pilot on the team has zero social skills or doesn't know how to work as a team, they should bring a dedicated caller to the World Championships.

Tom
Last edited by Kiesling; Jun 11, 2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:18 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,908 Posts
Quote:
At the worlds it is three man not two men. And in the fly offs no team retards
Nice George. Just so you know what I really mean...that was totally uncalled for.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:26 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,354 Posts
Is GMo making friends again?
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:30 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiesling View Post
Their will be team protection at the TS. If the pilot doesn't like it, they don't have to use it. That is their choice.
Tom
I kind of figured that was the case.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:28 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,846 Posts
Tom keeps repeating himself, and it still isn't persuasive.

Now we are going to select for social skills?

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:46 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiesling View Post
That's why if a pilot on the team has zero social skills or doesn't know how to work as a team, they should bring a dedicated caller to the World Championships.

Tom
I was on the last team and did everything I could for all our pilots including giving away my Stoble to keep them in the air. Not a control freak
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:33 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,140 Posts
Quote:
I was on the last team and did everything I could for all our pilots including giving away my Stoble to keep them in the air. Not a control freak
George,

You are not the only one who has brought their own caller/team to a World Championships. It has been done in the past and it will be done in the future. It has been done for a variety of reasons all of which make sense. Whether there are serious personality conflicts, bad blood, or if they just don't live close enough to the rest of the team to be able to practice with them to the level they want, bringing a dedicated caller is the best option for some pilots.

From an outsiders perspective and based on things you and Charlie have said, it was a natural choice for you to bring Charlie as your caller. As a team, you two are a great/unique combination that works very well together. I think the entire US F3K Community (including myself) was completely supportive of the Morris brother team going to the World championships together to give you the the best chance to perform to your full potential.

That said, if you feel strongly against team protection or don't care who calls for you, you don't have to use it at the team selection. It is your choice.

Tom
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:34 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,656 Posts
As a somewhat "outsider" looking in, I think the negative feelings toward team protection are in the potential for it's being used to dodge a serious competitor (teammate) in the prelims.

Sure, you can choose not to use it but you can't choose to NOT have it used against you. Our scoring system doesn't tend to have alot of separation at the top. Every little advantage is a big one, especially if the air even resembles easy.

I'm not sure I have any strong feelings either way but I thought I'd point out my somewhat emotionally detatched point of view.

On a side note... this "other" stuff doesn't really do us any good and has alot of negative potential. I hate to see my friends jabbing at each other for obvious reasons.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004