HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:09 PM
australia
Joined Jul 2010
231 Posts
Help!
any opinions

hi guys i was looking at this mono kit http://www.nitrorcx.com/99b-10022-snap-720-ep-kit.html

not too bad for $140 there is an artr version but since ill replace the 380 motor with a 540 and 120 amp esc i thought of getting the hit cheers
Shannon87 is offline Find More Posts by Shannon87
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:45 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,878 Posts
Hi Shannon,

With 720 mm length it's large enough to house a bigger motor, but the hull is rather narrow, so go for more rpm and a small(ish) prop rather than a big prop at a lower rpm.

The boat is a looker, from experience I know the steps are largely cosmetical (too low to acually draw much air under the hull) but with the brushless power that won't slow you down.

If you actually bought it, I can offer some tips on how to reinforce the weakspots in (all) Dragon hulls.

Also keep in mind, the hull is polyester, with a very hard toplayer of gelcoat, which is rather thick and therefore prown to hairline cracks, which appear by just running the boat.
No structural damage, but if left untreated they'll fill with dirt, spoiling the looks (up close).

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is online now Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:52 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,815 Posts
I would suggest this one instead:

http://www.nitrorcx.com/99b-10018-630-ep-artr.html, or the kit version of it.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:23 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,878 Posts
This one is also very quick, check out the video's.
http://www.nitrorcx.com/99b-10021-650-ep-artr.html

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is online now Find More Posts by pompebled
Last edited by pompebled; Mar 21, 2012 at 02:59 PM. Reason: forgot the link...
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:24 AM
australia
Joined Jul 2010
231 Posts
hi jan ill probably get the 1st suggestion i wouldnt get the sword because it has a solid flex shaft ive had alot of problems finding a flex shaft for my outlaw as it leaves a big hole after you remove the solid stuffing tube and limits the motors you can put in but if i can still get the good deal on the impulse 31 ill get that but if i cant ill get the 720mm mono
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:30 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2006
1,474 Posts
impulse 31

Now for the money, i would get the Impulse 31 or the Mystic cat are a better long run choice. I would for myself get the mystic but my boat budget is empty.
Mikedown is offline Find More Posts by Mikedown
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:39 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2006
1,474 Posts
exceed

Parsons; beautiful boat but $140.00, something wrong for that price. Now GUT feeling says get what you pay for. Now if budget says that's it , that's it.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:18 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon87 View Post
hi jan ill probably get the 1st suggestion i wouldnt get the sword because it has a solid flex shaft ive had alot of problems finding a flex shaft for my outlaw as it leaves a big hole after you remove the solid stuffing tube and limits the motors you can put in but if i can still get the good deal on the impulse 31 ill get that but if i cant ill get the 720mm mono
Why are you removing the solid stuffing tube? If you want adjustability, replace it with a stinger and just cut the stuffing tube almost flush with the hull and put the stinger over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retoabcr View Post
Parsons; beautiful boat but $140.00, something wrong for that price. Now GUT feeling says get what you pay for. Now if budget says that's it , that's it.
Why is something wrong? Because its not $300? It's the same design as the Arrowana from R2Hobbies, but actually costs a bit more:

http://www.r2hobbies.com/eng/proddet...bt0402002_code

The electronics aren't great, not junk either, but since he mentioned ditching the stock motor/ESC it's a bit of a non issue?
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:07 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2006
1,474 Posts
opinions

Parsons is correct with the stringer and adjustability. Just get micro-balloons and 5 minute epoxy and mix which will turn white and then paint if needed, Then put stringer on and don't look back. I did this with the Arpro 1 and all came out right. but that's Parsons from day 1 , correct Parsons!:
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:45 PM
australia
Joined Jul 2010
231 Posts
hi huys thanks for that i didnt think about doing that with the stuffing tube i couldnt do it with my outlaw as the whole driveshaft was solid.

But with the sword it says solid with flexible joint i wonder if it means that it has a full flex drive.

But in saying that im only more partial to the 720mm mono coz its longer and already has a stinger plus it looks a little better.

Though the sword has a flood chamber but yer since its a kit ill add all my own electronics but if i can get the impulse as its a hundred dollars cheaper than retail i will but if not getting one of these ill be just as happy.

I should have clarified that my outlaw didnt have a flex cable it was one solid piece http://www.kintecracing.com/Outlaw_Jr.html as you can see per my link.

Well looks like i cant get the impulse as he cant ship down under lol so looks like a good possibility of getting the 720mm mono i definately like it coz it reminds me of the king of shaves mono just a quarter of the price

Thanks for everything its helped so much i also wouldnt mind the cat also from nitro rcx its basically the dragon saga but with different paint but i did want a fibreglass mono for when it gets a bit choppy at my local lake.
Last edited by Shannon87; Mar 21, 2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 07:54 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2006
1,474 Posts
opinions

Since you can't get the 31 and you did type that a 540 and a 120 esc is in the offing, go for it, BUT Jan said to contact him on advise which is a great idea and his knowledge is worth listening too. Goog luck. Something tells me your going to do alright. Let all know how things turn out. Boat does look lean and mean. BTW-- Parsons suggestion on the 22" red one is a real looker and is my choice on second thought, but it''s your choice.
Last edited by Mikedown; Mar 21, 2012 at 08:04 PM. Reason: second thoughts.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:58 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2006
1,474 Posts
opinions

? for the knowledgeable-- 120 Pb for auto stable- exactly what is this-- i bought the kit boat. I have all the equipment required to finish thi model.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:02 PM
australia
Joined Jul 2010
231 Posts
Hi yes definitely a 3674 inrunner from hobby king and a 120 amp esc and going to run it on 4s 2p as all my boats run on 4s2p with the exception of one and a x640 prop or something like that would be the plan and I will definitely ask Jan for advice of course when he can
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:09 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2006
1,474 Posts
opinions

I got the 3674 and a 120 coming but am running 3S wiith a prop 42 x 55 as my pond isn't that big. Lets hear from you, ok.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 05:02 AM
australia
Joined Jul 2010
231 Posts
Yer definitely but it will be ran on 4s my lake is quite large thankfully and its only 5 mins drive but as soon as I get the boat plus parts and run it I'll keep u all posted