HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2011, 09:33 AM
Joined Nov 2007
18 Posts
Discussion
Eagle Eyes burned / dead

I was in Germany this summer doing calibration flights for a firm developing bird radar systems.

At the end of day one I forgot to unplug the battery from my ground station. When I remembered an unplugged, the wires leading to the Eagle Eyes had melted and the Eagle Eyes was dead. The battery voltage was about 7 v at the time.

There is no visible damage on the circuit board itself. When I try to power it up nothing happens - no lights, no smoke. No short circuit measured between + and -.

Any idea what component may have burnt? The norwegian postage fee for sending this to the USA for repairs will equal the price of new unit from Hobbyking so I might as well have a go at repairing it.

A schematic would come in handy if possible - I'm a electronics engineer.

Best regards - Paul
pkvaloy is offline Find More Posts by pkvaloy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:50 AM
Joined Nov 2003
4,926 Posts
Hi Paul,

Can you tell me what version of ET software you were running when you last configured your EagleEyes? That may help in pinpointing the culprit.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 12, 2011, 06:19 AM
Joined Nov 2007
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
Hi Paul,

Can you tell me what version of ET software you were running when you last configured your EagleEyes? That may help in pinpointing the culprit.
Hello

Thank you for getting back. The software used were version 9.57.

Best regards - Paul
Old Oct 29, 2011, 04:16 PM
Joined Nov 2007
18 Posts
Any news?
Old Nov 02, 2011, 02:53 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,926 Posts
pkvaloy, sorry for the issue. There was a problem with EE firmware version 1.17 that could rarely cause an issue like you are describing. The issue was fixed in firmware version 1.18 and later, which is in our current software. We'll need to get the unit in-house for testing and reprogamming if this is hte isuse. Please open a ticket with us at http://ticket.eagletreesystems.com and we'll get it sorted for you.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 05, 2011, 06:22 PM
Oslo, Norway
Joined Jan 2008
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
pkvaloy, sorry for the issue. There was a problem with EE firmware version 1.17 that could rarely cause an issue like you are describing. The issue was fixed in firmware version 1.18 and later, which is in our current software. We'll need to get the unit in-house for testing and reprogamming if this is hte isuse. Please open a ticket with us at http://ticket.eagletreesystems.com and we'll get it sorted for you.
Hi Bill
Pål sent the defective EE to me so I could do some troubleshooting.
The error seems to be that PIC18F14 MCU is defective or that it has lost / screwed up bit in the OSCCON/CONFIG1H register.

Do EE use the standard Microchip bootloader for firmware loading or do you have your own "bootloader" ?
If you use the original bootloader then it's an opportunity for me to reset the entire MCU (back to factory default) or replace the MCU with a new one and flashed the OSCCON/CONFIG1H register bits in accordance to the appropriate oscillator type.

Any comment to this proposal?

//Frank
quadrocopter is offline Find More Posts by quadrocopter
Old Nov 08, 2011, 04:09 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,926 Posts
Hi Frank,

That's a very clever suggestion, but unfortunately that technique won't work due to the architecture of our firmware. Sorry about that! We'll need to get the unit and physically reprogram it here.
Site Sponsor