HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:25 PM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
2,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
Thanks Diesel. What throws are you using?
I downloaded the DX8 files from HH. I needed to add just a tad more expo to ailerons for by liking though.
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:49 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
I downloaded the DX8 files from HH. I needed to add just a tad more expo to ailerons for by liking though.
Could you possibly measure throws on say low rate?
DamonH is offline Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:42 PM
Yuma, AZ
Joined Oct 2003
314 Posts
would like to provide a few more comments on my experience with the Scimitar.

First off, the Scimitar flies quit nicely with an apc 10x7e prop, I really can't tell any difference from the more expensive stock prop. You do have to ream the apc out to 8mm. After about a half dozen plus flights I have mixed emotions about the Scimitar. About the only advantage I see in the Scimitar over the Park Zone Stryker F27Q is that the Scimitar has wheels and does knife edge better. Other than that, the Styker is faster if you want to be, more aerobatic, and overall easier to fly. I attribute this in great part to the fact that the Styker is 3+ pounds lighter than the Scimitar. Both planes are farely indestructable as foamies go, easily repairable, and the screws only assembly on the Scimitar is a plus. One of the things I don't like about the Scimitar is that you really can't do any impressive spins without using the vectored thrust and full power (at least for me). I can get my Stryker spinning faster than you can count; the Scimitar is far from being the “flat spin king” they advertize. On the other hand, the ease with which the Scimitar does knife edge is a nice plus.

I have electric retracts on my Scimitar, but have taken them off. Our runway is asphault and covered with huge bumps from crack sealing. These bumps raise hell with landing gear on small planes. I have bent the nose gear two or three times already. In addition, the Scimitar seems a little weird in landing. I haven't quit figured it out yet. Some times it lands great and sometimes it bounces all over the place. It's pretty sensitive to landing impact, you really do need to set her down softly and not to slow or to fast. I really can't tell any difference in flight performance between the retracts and fixed gear. Making a new piano wire nose strut then going to try retracts again.

The Scimitar colors are hard to see for me. Several times I have lost precious second or two keeping orientation. I had the same problem with the Stryker until I painted it and I'm doing the same with the Scimitar; an all black bottom and eventually black/yellow top.

I have found that flying the Scimitar with a 4S 4000mah battery gives me more flight time and makes the cg much easier to manage than a 3300mah battery. It also doesn't seem to hamper performance. I tried a 3000mah 5S, but it was too much for the esc, drawing over 60amps. When I get a chance I'm going to put an 80A Turnigy Plush in her and try the 5S again. The 3000mah 5S and 4000mah 4S are about the same size and weight. Be interesting to see if I can get more than 3 or 4 minutes out of the 5S.
splais is offline Find More Posts by splais
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:26 PM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,299 Posts
been flying mine a bit more lately,starting to get use to the vector.It does go into flat spins nicely upright or inverted.One thinig i really like is flying level at full speed,throw the rudder stick full right or left and it spins around and continues the same direction.the thrust vectoring works well with other stunts,Just wish it was 2 axis rather than 1.As for landing i have a grass runway.I swapped out the front wheel for a larger one,put rubber wheels on the back.As long as i come in with power i can land with no bounce,Just greases in for a nice smooth landing.Am using a 3000 4s batt but going up to a 4000 next time i order batts.I have fast strykers so this is more of a let's see what happens plane.Is fun tho
oly_rcer is offline Find More Posts by oly_rcer
Old Mar 05, 2013, 05:24 PM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
2,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
Could you possibly measure throws on say low rate?
Yea I should be able to.
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:38 PM
Joined Feb 2007
162 Posts
Well got 4 more flights in today. I like it better than I did at first. With half of the recommend diff. it rolls like it is on a string. On mid rate ele it loops just fine. knife edge is awesome. What's up with a snap roll? The plane just looses all speed and tries to spin. Landing are easy as long as you don't hold it off too much. With the speed brakes out ie rudders it drops to the right in a stall and spins. With the rudders in it just slows down. I don't need the throttle to aileron mix. Jury is still out on the vector thrust. Getting about 4 1/2 min on a 4000 4s. Mostly full throttle. I'm going to get the retracts for it next. She sure is a looker.
windsheer is offline Find More Posts by windsheer
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:42 PM
Yuma, AZ
Joined Oct 2003
314 Posts
the longer i have had the plane the more i like it. To bad it has been discontinued.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:10 PM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined May 2007
55 Posts
Does anyone know is PW/RC or Hobby King have Retracts to fit the Scimitar? I could not find the answer looking thru this blog. thanks, Les
lesbaron is offline Find More Posts by lesbaron
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:42 PM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,734 Posts
The Ductitar!

Buddy at local field created this monster!
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:49 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
Buddy at local field created this monster!
Any ideas about the power system? Fan, motor, ESC, battery?
This would certainly eliminate the chewed up props from gravel and grass runways.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:10 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,824 Posts
I assume the 80mm version.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/browse/p.../:cp=1/:ip=9/:

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Mar 09, 2013, 06:49 AM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,734 Posts
I believe it is the stock power 32 delta system. Hopefully he will chyme in. He did a very nice job with the mod.
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Old Mar 09, 2013, 06:55 AM
Joined Aug 2012
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsheer View Post
Well got 4 more flights in today. I like it better than I did at first. With half of the recommend diff. it rolls like it is on a string. On mid rate ele it loops just fine. knife edge is awesome. What's up with a snap roll? The plane just looses all speed and tries to spin. Landing are easy as long as you don't hold it off too much. With the speed brakes out ie rudders it drops to the right in a stall and spins. With the rudders in it just slows down. I don't need the throttle to aileron mix. Jury is still out on the vector thrust. Getting about 4 1/2 min on a 4000 4s. Mostly full throttle. I'm going to get the retracts for it next. She sure is a looker.
So you'd recommend doing rudders in as speed brakes? I have mine currently set to out but I haven't had a chance to test it, this crap weather won't let up.
AWDstylez is offline Find More Posts by AWDstylez
Old Mar 09, 2013, 07:53 AM
Yuma, AZ
Joined Oct 2003
314 Posts
I have the "rudder brakes" on my Stryker, and yes, rudders in works better for me also.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:53 AM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDstylez View Post
So you'd recommend doing rudders in as speed brakes? I have mine currently set to out but I haven't had a chance to test it, this crap weather won't let up.
Make sure you have the TV mix off so you don't chop up your rudders when they come in!
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia