HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM
Joined Nov 2007
987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuspocus View Post
Thanks, i didn't though about mg having more slop...
Found SAVOX SH-0256, still digitals with bearings, but nylon gears, and 1 cheaper...

So, i think i'll buy:
- 7 x SAVOX SH-0256
- 1 x SAVOX SH-0255MG (front wheel)

About EF-1, i don't know, my actual micro pylon is a Moray, @ around 100mph MAX.

I usually race against my buddy with its MPX Funjet. My hotliner is more like 130mph (200-210kmh), but also alot more stable and easy to fly than the moray. With 2.15:1 thrust to weight ratio, that's a vertical takeoff from hands :-)

I think that the Habu 32 is a real step up from my actual level, but
=> who doesn't risk, doesn't progress either.

Had the same thinking last year with going from a foam Durafly Corsair to Hangar P-40 50 size, and a month later a P-51 60 size way overpowered. Oh, and both have survived until today :-)

Anyway thanks for your insights, i'll probably check in later when building it. Preferably sooner than later.
Have you ever flown a Edf jet yet ? If not, id buy a foamy one first. They are not that easy to fly.
itsparks is online now Find More Posts by itsparks
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
686 Posts
I'm sure this is not what you want to hear but if you haven't flown an EDF before I would start with a foam EDF like the Habu 2. It doesn't matter if you've flown pylon racers, mostly it's not the speed at all that makes them different but the delta wing, higher wing loading and no prop wash over control surfaces. You can learn on the Habu 32 but it'll be easier, more enjoyable and cheaper on a foam jet.

I think everyone with some RC experience can fly an edf fast at high speed, it's the landing and slowing down that bites you. I really advise you to start with the Habu2; in the 32 you'll find it harder to practice landings without bouncing hard, breaking/bending retract mounts, landing really hot, etc. If you read this thread you'll see multiple instances of the same thing (foamy) being said over and over.
Castel101 is offline Find More Posts by Castel101
Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM
Joined Apr 2013
34 Posts
Thanks Castel for the honest comment.
Yep, this is not what i wanted to hear.

But i know you're right, i should start with a foamie.

The thing is, i've been disappointed with every foamie i got so far.

First plane (2 years ago) was an Easystar: After a month of learning with it i found it was too slow, and not very agile.
- Bought a glass Reichard hotliner with recommended power plant
- Never flown the Easystar since...
After a month on the hotliner, doing loop, inverted loop, barrels and some low pass, i tought it's no hotliner, especially on climb rate, so I upped the 450w motor to a 1400w one. (esc and battery also upgraded)
=> From 70-80mph to 130mph with 700-800g more weight!

Had to learn how to bleed speed, use flaperon & spoileron and land on the small grass patch at my field. Also learned to land in crosswind without rudder.

That bird is still a favorite, i use it in 20mph wind or more, usually more.

Bought durafly corsair (retracts, flaps): too slow can't fight in winds
- Changed esc from 40amp to 60amp, 3S 30c to 4S 65C, 4 blades 'scale' props to apc-e 10x10
- Still slow, but better... Buddies with Calmato still go faster than me and can fly in strong winds. (those Calmato are so ugly!)

Bough Hangar 9 P-40 warhawk, with overpowered brushless (.90 equivalent on 6S, the plane ask for a .60) with 14x12:
- Ahhhhhh, a real plane, having fun with it! I can fly in formation with other gazzer or glow planes @ around 90-100mph
- No flaps, lands fast, short runway, no problem

Got a Hangar 9 P-51 for my birthday: Same setup, with flaps, a bit faster flying, less agile than P-40 (P-40 is shorter)

Never flown the Corsair since...And those 2 Hangar 9 planes are here to stay.

Got a couple more plane that are more specific:
- Cessna 182 1500mm and Sky Mule 1500mm for FPV
- Edge 540T EPP for 3D still flying, but replaced by Precision Aerobatics Katana and learning hard 3D with a coach

You can see a pattern here, all foam plane i got are getting retired pretty fast, and i didn't feel they were worth it.
Ex.: Learning to fly the foam Corsair didn't prepare me to fly my Hangar 9 warbirds.

So i thought the same would apply to EDF: Why buying a 250€ plane that's gonna sit in my room after a month. Better to learn on the real deal right from the start!

I maybe wrong, i'm probably wrong, but i hear what you're saying...

I'll put this shopping list on hold and think it over again...

That Habu 32 is VERY VERY nice, but it's not 250€, more like 900-1000€ with needed accessories...

Argh...I'll have to convince my wife that i need 2 planes now, i'm sure it's harder than landing an EDF ;-)
marcuspocus is online now Find More Posts by marcuspocus
Last edited by marcuspocus; Yesterday at 04:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,945 Posts
Maybe look at an 80mm EDF foamie then so you can transplant all the essential organs when you are done with the foam carcus.

There are some decent F-16 and F-86 models out there that would tick that box and save you the full cost of 2 models.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,911 Posts
Castel is right on. In addition to what he mentioned, EDF's like the Habu 32 are pretty aerodynamic, and don't slow down as fast as planes with a big spinning disc out in front . That can make setting up the landing approach a bit challenging.
You might also try a computer based RC flight sim. It isn't as good as the real thing, but it's close. A third option would be to buddy box your first few flights with someone who has fiberglass EDF flying skills. The you could get used to the flight characteristics without needing to buy two planes.
Good luck!
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM
Joined Apr 2013
34 Posts
Yeah, i'm already doing great landing in Realflight G7 with Habu 32 model.

Nothing like the real thing, but you get a feel of it.

I'm doing around 10hrs a week on flight sim since i started rc planes 2 years ago.

Like i said in my first post, there is 4 or 5 guys at my field who fly pretty big 3m+ kerosene jets (rafale, futura, etc..) that will happily help me and buddybox me too.

Maybe that my ticket to the Habu ?
Last edited by marcuspocus; Yesterday at 05:17 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM
Joined Sep 2011
686 Posts
I hear you Marcus! I'm glad you didn't take my advise wrongly, I'm always up for more people flying jets and enjoying cool ones like the 32! I just think you might have more success with the foamy and who knows, it might become a favorite too. There's plenty of options but some of them are draggy or underpowered, I think the Habu2 would be the most similar to the 32 and since it's Eflite you know it will fly well stock. You can practice and practice landing nose high, with no bouncing and with more weight if you want to prepare. I don't know where you live but it is a well known airplane so I'm sure you can find a buyer without loosing much if you really don't want to fly it afterwards.

You might prove people (and me) wrong and learn with the 32 just fine though! In my experience the foamies helped. I started with Helis, then warbirds, a few edf foamies and then the Eflite F-4 32. It's tricky to land sometimes and I have damaged the retracts/wings on hard landings learning (it can still happen though) but I really can't imagine how it would've faired if I jumped to it straight from the Warbird :S. In any case I wish you success and let us know how your flights go!
Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM
Joined Sep 2011
686 Posts
Hey, Josh's idea is a good one! Buddy boxing might be your ticket if you have friends that can fly it good while you get used to it!
Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM
Joined Apr 2013
34 Posts
Thanks a bunch guys.

I'll talk about this with the jet's guys first to know what they think.
They know how i fly.
Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM
Joined Nov 2007
987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuspocus View Post
Thanks a bunch guys.

I'll talk about this with the jet's guys first to know what they think.
They know how i fly.
Buy a habu foamy jet, it will teach you things. I am glad i took all the advice above and bought a foamy jet to learn on. I would have killed my habu32 on first flight.
itsparks is online now Find More Posts by itsparks
Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM
United States, AL, Daphne
Joined Dec 2013
116 Posts
Went through a lot of planes upgrading. Warbirds were cool then needed to go to edf's. I went from a durafly vampire then upgraded it to bigger motor fan. Then bought a stinger 90 and been flying that forever. I bought the new super viper on 8s but I think anyone can fly that big ole plane.
So now I'm building my habu 32 on 6s since I already have a ton of those batteries. Either way you go you will learn just might be more expensive. Even some days I have a crap landing still. Lol
Fish4funjb is offline Find More Posts by Fish4funjb