Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:35 PM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
New Zealand, Northland, Totara North
Joined Feb 2012
563 Posts
do a rebuild on the winch! theyre mighty fun fixing them.
D design is offline Find More Posts by D design
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:43 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
..Your winch sounds like it needs a good cleaning outside of the boat ...
Actually it looks like it's bone dry but there is one little spot of oxidation on a lead I can see and i will try to remove it.. I just dread re-threading the sheets properly so will take several photos of how they are rigged 1st..

If I get the knurled fastener off the top of the drum, can i lift it off the shaft and then pull the winch assy straight forward and out of the tray? ir do i need to clip the sheet line at the drum end to get both out together?

I will push the Power and Servo Leads out of the water proofed radio gear compartment and tape these two ends to a snake line to help get them back later.. This should be interesting. I agree now it a good time to try this and it would be much better to refurb and bench test the winch rather than risk damaging the rig turn buckles and blocks etc in the process..

By the way Mine Beeps 10 times then gives three short beeps , at that Point i immediately flip the Switch ON and toggle the control stick all the way to the TOP and then shut the smart sw OFF .. and ON and what ever i do from that point does nothing to drive the winch.. i will try it again a last time after I re-read the procedure then will pull the winch out of the boat and bench test and refurb it.. i just got a reply from Guy and may send it back to be re-worked if the refurb tips you have given me fail to revive it..

Thanks Again
JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Last edited by jims123; Oct 15, 2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:55 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,929 Posts
Na just tape the drum remove it and extract the winch this way nothing can un ravel off the drum there are 2 screws under the drum to release it everything will have to go that directionyes you have to lift off the drum from the splined shaft .Cheers
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Last edited by The Tug; Oct 15, 2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:06 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,929 Posts
Ok extraction ,remove drum from winch tape it and leave it in the boat now you'll see the 2 screws holding the winch on the board the winch has 2 wires to come out with it power lead and servo lead you're done put it back up in reverse.Oh tie a string on to the wires so you can pull em back in.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:06 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Na just tape the drum remove it and extract the winch this way nothing can un ravel off the drum there are 2 screws under the drum to release it everything will have to go that direction .Cheers
Tug,
Since the sheets seem to get taught and the Power and servo leads both snug as i pull forward on the winch assy on the tray, I assume this means i do need to cut /disconnect and completely un-thread the sheet lines through the Blocks and from their end points in the rigging ...before this Winch and the drum with several turns of sheet line on it can be pulled out and OFF the tray .. is this correct?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:08 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Ok extraction ,remove drum from winch tape it and leave it in the boat now you'll see the 2 screws holding the winch on the board the winch has 2 wires to come out with it power lead and servo lead you're done put it back up in reverse.Oh tie a string on to the wires so you can pull em back in.
Sorry you were typing this as i was just replying immediately above.. I will try doing this instead! This way seems a LOT simpler
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:56 PM
David Cook Victoria, BC Canada
Joined Oct 2012
243 Posts
I'm a newbie to this forum, a very keen IOM designer, builder and racer. I'm fascinated on how fast the hard chine bandwagon is moving. Can a hard chine IOM do well in light air? The hard chines adds more wetted surface are which is not good for light air. A narrow, round hull with fin forward would help. Any other ideas on how to make a hard chine boat do well in light air?
PorkyPig is offline Find More Posts by PorkyPig
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:37 PM
United States, CA, Fairfax
Joined Apr 2011
76 Posts
Anyone know about this boat?

http://kantun-iom.weebly.com/index.html
Houdini13 is offline Find More Posts by Houdini13
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:00 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houdini13 View Post
If its designed by those boys it should be quick
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:58 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkyPig View Post
I'm a newbie to this forum, a very keen IOM designer, builder and racer. I'm fascinated on how fast the hard chine bandwagon is moving. Can a hard chine IOM do well in light air? The hard chines adds more wetted surface are which is not good for light air. A narrow, round hull with fin forward would help. Any other ideas on how to make a hard chine boat do well in light air?
Welcome to the forum.The modern designs mainly the BP the chine is out of the water when the boat is upright therefore it's more of a conventional shape in light air i imigane the others are the same,now a Lintel will do your head in at under 5 knots and then becomes a very nice boat in a breeze.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:27 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Some RMG 280 D picts

Well i did not have time to try the EP set procedure again yet.. and decided NOT to take the Winch out of the boat yet since i worry about restoring water tight integrity of thr Servo and Power Leads at the radio compartment entry point.. And all looks fine in there anyway, so I will bench test it with the Drum OFF while the winch is on the tray as shown below first..

Mr Tug:
I am curious about one thing regarding:
" (5)Turn off switch send joystick full up and turn on switch winch will read out position turn off,(Note that the winch will not move to the out position this is normal.)/// if the winch does not turn to the FAR OUT position .. how does it "read" it and know where that position really is? is the 280 circuit card reading the pulse width the receiver is sending? apparently so.. JimS//
(6)Pull joystick back in and turn on,winch will rotate to it's in position of your radio which you don't know where that is, /// I am not sure exactly what you mean by "where that is" but I assume that is the original IN END Point with the sheets nearly but not quite taught.is where it should be. is this correct? // that's why you disconnected the drum so you don't bust the boat up,now re install the drum on the correct shaft spline with the sails closehauled,// yes I marked the sheets IN EP with a Black dot from felt tip pen as shown below.. not shown is a similar mark placed on the spline shaft later too// moving the joystick determines the travel you desire turn off switch then rx // to turn OFF the RX here I assume I must pull the servo channel plug that is feeding it power correct? JimS // then Tx and you're done.

Power back up and you should have your travel set,if radio is capable use EPA to get it exact.// Ok, this last sentence suggests to me that the only time the Shaft should move is at step 4 .. but once i power the Tx and Rx down and back ON (with the Signal s/w ON or removed completely) then i should see normal shaft movement and can replace the DRUM at the IN Point guide marks and see if it really is turning normally for normal IN /OUT sheet travel .. Can you tell me how many turns of the drum will typicaly make to travel that range for an RMG IOM?//

Rather than reply to this Tug, let me try it again tonight.. and I'l let you know later if I have any other issues.. Thanks Again.. JimS
Last edited by jims123; Oct 16, 2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Typos and suggestion to let me try again before any reply
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:09 PM
Canada, BC, Maple Ridge
Joined Jul 2011
472 Posts
Hi Jim,

The number of turns is a function of the drum dia. and the amount of sheet you need to move from full in to full out. The amount of sheet movement depends upon the distance from the goose neck to the sheeting post.

Common sheeting post placement is 200 or 230 mm behind the goose neck.

Typical sheet movement is about 280 mm if your sheeting post is 200mm from goose neck. (the lenght of the diagonal if two adjacent sides are 200 mm)

Typical sheet movement is about 325mm if your sheeting post is 230mm. from goose neck.

It looks like you have a 42mm drum. so one turn moves 132mm of line.

So for a 200 mm sheeting post, 280/132 = 2.1 turns

and for a 230,, sheeting post, 325/132 = 2.46.

John
hiljoball is offline Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:27 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljoball View Post

It looks like you have a 42mm drum. so one turn moves 132mm of line.

So for a 200 mm sheeting post, 280/132 = 2.1 turns

and for a 230,, sheeting post, 325/132 = 2.46.

John
John.
Awesome ..all makes sense.. thanks i will measure the drum diameter tonight..this is turning into quite a Physics lesson..

V/r JimS
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:52 PM
Canada, BC, Maple Ridge
Joined Jul 2011
472 Posts
Hi Jim,

There are several choices of drum diameter. A large diameter (like the 42) moves the line quickly for fastest sheeting. The compromise is less resolution for each increment. A small dia drum, like the 28mm, needs more revolutions (more time) to move the sheet, but give more force and more resolution.

The winch is plenty strong to handle the larger drum. I like to use the 32mm as a compromise between speed and resolution.

If you are planning to buy a new drum, Rob makes a deep drum and well as the standard, and I like the deep ones.

He also makes spiral drums which vary the line travel as you approach close hauled, giving exponential slower response and more resolution approaching close hauled and coarser movement towards full out. He also makes self tensioning drums, but I have no experience with either spiral or self tension.

John
hiljoball is offline Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:39 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,929 Posts
Your first question correct it's reading the pulse width so the winch wont move to the out position,your second question to every different brand radio that winch will come to it's in position of that radios potentimeter which you don't know so if at that point the drum is on and it comes in too far you will shurley break something those RMG winches are very powerful,at this point when the winch has found the in position you then reinstall the drum on the given spline to your deck mark(sails in the boat sheets attached and closehauled) and then moving the joystick slowly out you achive your desired throw turn off the winch(switch) will beep to save that setting turn off everything and reboot power,fortunatley the winch only does this the first time it sees a new radio after that it will always come to the same in position as long as you have not messed with EPA etc.Now all thats stopping you from removal is a rubber grommet dig it into the pot with a small flat bit and slip the wires through and the winch is going to come out remember to send in a string,if that grommet needs replacing autopart store they snap brake lines onto shock absorbers.When you get it on the bench after cleanup program it 5 times to different revolutions to get fimilar with the process.I have owned a widget so i'm fimiliar with the layout.
Last edited by The Tug; Oct 16, 2012 at 05:51 PM.