New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2015, 05:56 PM
Find More Posts by scole
Joined Feb 2014
227 Posts
redo ca hinges

I put the elevator on too tight, not enough gap. what should I do? cut them apart and put new ones alongside? is there another solution?
scole is offline Find More Posts by scole
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2015, 07:34 PM
Find More Posts by David2011
United States, NM, Hobbs
Joined Oct 2011
238 Posts
A picture would help. A gap shouldn't be necessary and is not a good thing. Is the leading edge of the elevator rounded or a sharp point? It should be beveled to a "<" shape that comes to a point as viewed from the end. If rounded it will require a gap that can lead to flutter. Flutter can destroy the airframe suddenly and violently.

If I were fixing this myself I would cut the hinges, soak them with CA debonder (assuming you used CA) and fix the reason for the bind before putting it back together. Last time I replaced hinges I had to slide a #11 X-Acto blade between the balsa and hinges to help the debonder do its work. It's not a real fun job. I had to replace the rudder hinges on a giant gasoline powered Stick. It was a lot like work but necessary. The old hinges were failing.

David2011 is offline Find More Posts by David2011
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:23 AM
Find More Posts by KRProton
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
4,183 Posts
I recently did a re cover on an ARF. It required cutting all the CA hinges to separate the control surfaces. What I did for new hinges was to use a #11 blade to cut the old hinges out, then installed about 1/4" larger than the old hinges. I also used a 3/32" brass tube sharpened on the end in drill to cut holes centered on all the hinge slots. This allows CA to get all the way to the back of the hinge and the slot (and for most of the excess CA to flow into the channel - not onto the hinge gap).

If you scroll through my blog you'll catch some images of the hinges and hinge slots.

KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
Old Aug 03, 2015, 11:17 AM
Find More Posts by Thermalin
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,832 Posts
Scale.... do you have a pic..

Not matter how close you install surfaces, they should flex whether one side is rounded or both or a combination of bevel and round, etc. If you can take a shot from the side and top that would do wonders to provide assistance.

Personally I choose to cut them free if needed and install alongside...
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin