SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 10, 2013, 09:08 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,290 Posts
I hate to see threads like this about companies and individuals I do business with. I see the last post by OP was 5 yrs ago. I have bought 3 planes and 3 other purchases from VQwarbirds and I have never seen anything but good product and excellent customer service over the past couple of years. I bought a VQ model and the quality was the best I have seen in it's size. My friend bought a VQ model also and got the same good quality. So maybe these were old problems which have been solved long ago. I think so.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:52 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,375 Posts
scootrb4,

I agree with you, sir.

My P-39 kit was very well made and I really like it.

I had one test flight yesterday, with a balky motor, which shut down. For the short time it flew, the P-39 handled very well (including the dead stick landing).

I will start another thread for the photographs with a more positive title to reflect my experience with the VQ P-39.

JeffEE,

The main landing gear blocks in mine are fine. No issues with them at all.
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:56 AM
Joined Apr 2008
382 Posts
Here are pictures of my VQ P39. Ended up selling it but is was a great flyer with the Saito 65 and HK electric retracts. It really moved out with the gear up. I can't say what issue mine was but I found some of the wood pretty soft and the plastic wing fairings/wing tips leave a lot to be desired. All in all, for the price it was decent enough and a great flying plane.
chistech is offline Find More Posts by chistech
Old Sep 09, 2014, 10:46 PM
Fort Worth Thunderbirds
Joined Jan 2013
112 Posts
It's too bad this thread is named so badly as it really gives this model a really bad rap. I got mine yesterday and it's a pretty good looking model. I've built several (60 size FW-190, Mig-3, Yak 52, Hawker Hurricane) VQ models and this one looks to be as well built as the rest. It's too bad they did not prepare it for retracts. I haven't decided if I'll take that extra step.

I'm anxious to get started and will include some photos as I progress.
Sunbyrd is offline Find More Posts by Sunbyrd
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:22 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbyrd View Post
It's too bad this thread is named so badly as it really gives this model a really bad rap. I got mine yesterday and it's a pretty good looking model. I've built several (60 size FW-190, Mig-3, Yak 52, Hawker Hurricane) VQ models and this one looks to be as well built as the rest. It's too bad they did not prepare it for retracts. I haven't decided if I'll take that extra step.

I'm anxious to get started and will include some photos as I progress.
If you can get past the nose gear being so far out of scale in its location, more power to you.

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Old Sep 13, 2014, 10:33 AM
Fort Worth Thunderbirds
Joined Jan 2013
112 Posts
P-39 looking better in this batch

CR, you're right. But either way, fixed or retract, the nose gear location isn't going to be very scale. On the other hand, I really don't think it will win any scale contests and I really just consider it a sport plane dressed up to look like a warbird.

Even if I can't begin the build yet (health issues) I had to take things out of the box for a better look. I like the fact that the canopy frame is already painted. I don't think the frame was painted on older versions of this kit and the pilot is pretty good looking. They also included a pretty nice looking instrument panel and now the cowling paint very closely matches the covering.
Old Oct 06, 2014, 12:19 AM
Fort Worth Thunderbirds
Joined Jan 2013
112 Posts
Maidened the P-39, yesterday. Winds down the runway at about 8mph. She was off the ground in about 100 feet. This is the first plane I've ever maidened that didn't require any trim changes. Probably just dumb luck but everything was spot on. With the CG and control throws set to the manual's suggestions, it flies very predictable. The OS 46AX has more than enough power to have a good time with this airplane.

I did have to add one ounce of lead to the tail to get the CG just right.

This was one of the quickest building ARF's I've ever put together. I didn't bother trying to install retracts but I did go with much smaller wheels than those supplied in the kit. Two and half inch mains and a two inch nose wheel. Looks much more to scale and you can barely see them in flight. Since I fly off a concrete 400' long runway, the smaller wheels worked just fine.

Anyway, had two uneventful flights for the day. This plane flies and lands more like a sport plane than a heavy weight war bird. I didn't have any of the quality issues that were mentioned at the beginning of thread. I'm very pleased with this airplane.
Old Oct 06, 2014, 06:32 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,290 Posts
Glad to hear it sunny.... THis thread has done a complete turnabout and it gives a whole new meaning to 'Read the last post' LOL !!!
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4