SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 20, 2012, 12:52 PM
Joined Mar 2001
2,625 Posts
Discussion
25+ years ago . . .

I've been thinking lately of a flying wing I saw back in 1985 or '86. It was in Charlottesville, VA at the Rivanna Radio Control Club, and it was the first electric plane I ever saw. It had a geared Mabuchi 05 can motor, with 6 sub-C NiCds hard-wired into the harness, an on-off switch, and some sort of bypass that allowed for charging. It flew well, as I recall, slow and graceful. I only saw the plane there once, and if my memory is right, the guy's first name was Warren. It was a one-off design with a built-up wing, designed and built by Warren and his dad. It reminds me now of a Bill Evans design. I was really intrigued at the time, but the power system was beyond my then-limited understanding of electrics. I have plenty of planes, but I have considered building something like this with modern electronics.

Might any of you ever have run across this guy and his plane?

Tony
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2012, 06:36 AM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
2,019 Posts
Nice one,love it.....hope you can build one in a nearest future
regards
Sam
samwei1950 is online now Find More Posts by samwei1950
Old May 22, 2012, 01:51 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,608 Posts
Wasn't Bill Evans of Carson City NV the maker of the Scimitars? Very similar to that plane, a plank flying wing design puller.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member