SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:40 AM
Georgia
Joined Jan 2009
226 Posts
Question
Parkzone P-51D Mustang Micro

I just got the PZ Micro Mustang today. When flying it, the nose was wanting to stay up a lot. The elevator trim needed moved almost all the way up to get it to level out with the throttle in the middle. Is this normal for this plane?
Mike81 is offline Find More Posts by Mike81
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2012, 06:44 AM
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
No, you'll need to bend the arm where is makes a U shape. Should be almost level. Assuming you checked CG and you are using the stock battery or compensated for an oversized one?
MyPonyRocks is offline Find More Posts by MyPonyRocks
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:21 AM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,082 Posts
It sounds like it is tail heavy. If it is the ultra micro tape a dime under the cowl or if it is just the normal micro you can just find some weights to level it out. It will fly much better.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:56 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,087 Posts
Mine was a bit tail heavy as well, I used a small rubber anti skid stick on from Lowes. Much lighter than a coin, which I would suspect to be way too heavy. Worked like a charm. Plane is a lightweight, think light weight counter balance.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:16 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
Actually the coins are well recommend for these micro in most cases and are just the right weight many times. For instance it is the first mod recommended for micro f4u is to use a dime. Balances great.
Syner01 is offline Find More Posts by Syner01
Last edited by Syner01; Mar 19, 2012 at 04:32 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:59 AM
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
I thought only the F4U really suffered from this? Maybe it's because I use heavier batteries but I've never had a CG issue with the plane even with the stock eflite batt.
MyPonyRocks is offline Find More Posts by MyPonyRocks
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:48 AM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPonyRocks View Post
I thought only the F4U really suffered from this? Maybe it's because I use heavier batteries but I've never had a CG issue with the plane even with the stock eflite batt.
Yeah, mine usually wanted the battery as far back as possible and that was without the forward landing gear.

I converted to brushless and needed to carve out a channel aft for the 2 180s I use, so in my experience, it's certainly not a tail heavy plane.

I'd mechanical adjust the elevator before anything else. Are you using the RTF Tx or a DX6i?
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Old Mar 20, 2012, 03:45 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syner01 View Post
Actually the coins are well recommend for these micro in most cases and are just the right weight many times. For instance it is the first mod recommended for micro f4u is to use a dime. Balances great.
Damn that seems like a lot of weight for a micro, But if it works, good tip.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Mar 20, 2012, 03:54 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony K View Post
Damn that seems like a lot of weight for a micro, But if it works, good tip.
I thought the exact same thing until I tried it.
I agree it shouldn't be required for a new UM p51 though. Mostly the f4u suffered from this out of the box.

I put a new motor in my champ and forgot to offset for thrust. Now I use a nickel to deal with my mistake until I reset it. Still flies pretty good. See video example here
Champ (4 min 18 sec)

I agree with the others to adjust the pull rod first and see if that helps. It should. Adding the coin is a last resort.
Syner01 is offline Find More Posts by Syner01