HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2010, 04:36 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2010
89 Posts
Discussion
Ricky Carmichael Motor/pinion

Hey guys,
I have purchased 2 NIB ricky's and most of the available upgrade parts through Bruce at 2wheel hobbies, as well as full bearings/revo shock/etc. whew lol. I wanted to ask your opinions on motor/pinion set-up....I plan on running stock radio gear (for now), but would like to upgrade the stock 550 motor with a 540 and something that is a little faster(I will be running 3800 nimh 7.2v pack for the most part). I was leaning towards a 19T double and a 12t or 13t pinion...your thoughts? Unlike most I'm not on the "brushless bandwagon" yet and want to use a brushed motor that will work with the stock esc...kind of going for a "bang-for-the-buck" kinda set-up....just could'nt stand waiting for the venom 450 any longer as they changed the release date(yet again) to mid December, and I didn't want a durajunk, so that left me with one choice lol...good ol Ricky
Disposable Hero is offline Find More Posts by Disposable Hero
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2010, 03:59 PM
The Great White North
Joined Apr 2007
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disposable Hero View Post
Hey guys,
I have purchased 2 NIB ricky's and most of the available upgrade parts through Bruce at 2wheel hobbies, as well as full bearings/revo shock/etc. whew lol. I wanted to ask your opinions on motor/pinion set-up....I plan on running stock radio gear (for now), but would like to upgrade the stock 550 motor with a 540 and something that is a little faster(I will be running 3800 nimh 7.2v pack for the most part). I was leaning towards a 19T double and a 12t or 13t pinion...your thoughts? Unlike most I'm not on the "brushless bandwagon" yet and want to use a brushed motor that will work with the stock esc...kind of going for a "bang-for-the-buck" kinda set-up....just could'nt stand waiting for the venom 450 any longer as they changed the release date(yet again) to mid December, and I didn't want a durajunk, so that left me with one choice lol...good ol Ricky
I may be mistaken but a lot of the custom hop up parts for the ricky are manufactured from smaller independent operations right here on our dirt , not from abroad. So pay a little more and you ensure these parts will be around when we need them
I am also about to upgrade ricky , I recommend going for the hop ups and brushless.With 2 of them what about one electric and one Nitro
zenmasterzoso is offline Find More Posts by zenmasterzoso
Old Oct 13, 2010, 05:49 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,211 Posts
I 19T brushed motor is a very mild upgrade from the stock motor. IIRC, mine was 17 MPH stock and only went to 21 MPH with a Trinity 19t using the same gearing. What really made my Ricky happy was a Castle 5700kV motor with a Mamba Max setup. With a 4000mAH pack, it could go a good 15-20 minutes of hard running on the dirt; grass was about 20-30% less run time.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Oct 13, 2010, 08:05 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2010
89 Posts
I would consider brushless but I hear all these horror stories about "fried" gyros.....I have also decided to build a 8.4v 5000mah pack through a buddy of mine with the extra cell on the end(So battery looks like letter "L")...that should give my Komodo 19T a little kick in the ass...Just not ready for lipos as I have a ton of stuff on nimh and my peak charger doesnt do Lipos so then I would have to buy another charger....starts throwing my bang-4-the-buck-theory out the window lol. Forgot to mention I'm also running Deans connectors..never realized how much difference they really made till I got Ricky man you notice a difference just by swapping the connectors out....also wanted to ask if anyone has ever tried to run the origanl radio via a BEC circuit...I want to get rid of the AA pack to shed some weight and Im pretty sure the radio could handle the juice if I tapped into the 7.2 battery connector.....(If I run an 8.4v battery I don't know. I would rather run a 7.2 battery and lose the AA'S)...
Disposable Hero is offline Find More Posts by Disposable Hero