HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2012, 01:05 AM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=295

Let me know if it works for you, its an undocumented feature and as threads die searches dont work as well I guess. Thats why I humbly documented it here. It works, I've done it a few times. But please read carefully as it could potentially effect every model you have on that radio as far as once you change the stick firmware, mechanical setup gets changes slightly also..
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 07:53 AM
mSR,120SR,4G6S,UFLYS,1#A, v450d
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
Have a quick setup question:

In general there are two ways to adjust the amount of effective collective available: either using the PIT value in SWAASMIX or using the Pitch curve.

For this bird which is recommended? On mine if I have a full 0 to 100 linear pitch curve I have to set PIT value to around 40 to work to my liking. Or I could set it to 60 and make the curve shallower (say 20 to 80). Which is preferable? I think one is better in terms of servo resolution but I'm not sure which...

Similarly what is best way to adjust AIL/ELE amount? Let's assume 100% D/R and full travel.

Also, for setup some mention setting all SWAASMIX values to 80% or 100% during setup and to reduce it after for easier handling.

The main question I have in both cases is what is best for full servo resolution? Thx!
kutyafal is offline Find More Posts by kutyafal
Old May 10, 2012, 08:54 AM
"Watch this!.... Oh crap"
United States, FL, Seminole
Joined Jan 2012
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutyafal View Post
Have a quick setup question:

In general there are two ways to adjust the amount of effective collective available: either using the PIT value in SWAASMIX or using the Pitch curve.

For this bird which is recommended? On mine if I have a full 0 to 100 linear pitch curve I have to set PIT value to around 40 to work to my liking. Or I could set it to 60 and make the curve shallower (say 20 to 80). Which is preferable? I think one is better in terms of servo resolution but I'm not sure which...

Similarly what is best way to adjust AIL/ELE amount? Let's assume 100% D/R and full travel.

Also, for setup some mention setting all SWAASMIX values to 80% or 100% during setup and to reduce it after for easier handling.

The main question I have in both cases is what is best for full servo resolution? Thx!
I've always heard that once swash mix is setup to leave it alone, everything your looking to accomplish can be setup in curves and dual rate menu's which is better since IMHO since its both easier and quicker, I wouldn't change anything in swash-mix once setup unless the 3 servos arnt behaving the same when on the collective, then thats where swash-mix settings come in.
jhebbel is offline Find More Posts by jhebbel
Old May 10, 2012, 09:26 AM
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
Yeah, that makes sense. Now the only question I have left is why WOW's doc mentions 80% for SWAAS values for setup and flight? If things are adjusted via curves and D/R then why not use 100%?
Old May 10, 2012, 10:13 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
The point of SWASHMIX is to control how the 3 servos work together to control pitch. They need to be set correctly in order that when also applying full ELEV/AILE and full PIT there is no binding. All servos are different so some might need more or less in SWASHMIX to control the correct amount of travel. Once your SWASHMIX is set to permit full travel without binding you can meddle with the settings without fear of getting into an uncontrollable situation.

You then can mess with your ELEV/AILE/PIT curves to your hearts content to get the desired flight handling knowing that it won't mechanically get tangled up.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old May 10, 2012, 10:27 AM
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
Yes that makes sense of course. What doesn't make sense is that the suggested per manual 80% SWASH settings already produce all kinds of binding and interactions. This is when I check it with the RX in setup mode.

So what I want to know is what is the effect if I run the RX setup with those values vs. values that don't produce any binding or interaction? On my heli that is around 60%.

Someone has sad before that the V450D01 head design doesn't allow for as much articulation as other similar heads. I don't know but I'd like to arrive at a setup where there is no binding or interaction and I can still throw the bird around with authority.

I hear a lot of "do the RX setup right and it will calculate what it needs to do" but since it's not a pure mechanical head I'd like to know the influence of the RX in total deflection, pitch, binding and interaction during regular stabilized flight.

I miss the fine control of all parameters as in the BeastX for example where you can be sure that after setting operating limits what is it that the RX can NOT do (to avoid problems).
Old May 10, 2012, 11:19 AM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Hehe, your a funny guy you know that Its good you found the post 30 mins after I posted it for you. I dont know why you ask for help and then when someone gives it to you you do what you want anyway. That makes me smile LOL

Happy flights Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I've been looking for this firmware calibration you mentioned. I can't seem to find it anywhere. My TX is not very far off but some of the sticks sit a tick off center or something like that. It would be nice to be able to recalibrate this thing.

EDIT:

Nevermind. found this http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=295

Probably more trouble than its worth for a slight tick off center. I tried it on my spare 2801 that has no model data on it. It didn't fix my elevator that was 1 click off center. It seems there must be some amount of mechanical adjustment also? I don't even think it's causing a problem but I would think these things should be centered up. My one TX is like 3 clicks off center on the rudder, but i don't get any yaw so i guess it balances out with mechanical helicopter setup and what not.
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old May 10, 2012, 06:06 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
Hehe, your a funny guy you know that Its good you found the post 30 mins after I posted it for you. I dont know why you ask for help and then when someone gives it to you you do what you want anyway. That makes me smile LOL

Happy flights Dude
You know whats weird is i refreshed the page before editing it that i found the page. I didn't see any reply yet. OR ever till way later the next day when i randomly came by my pc and clicked the My RCgroups link. Then it updated everything showing that you answered me and all that. Oh well.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old May 10, 2012, 06:12 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutyafal View Post
Yes that makes sense of course. What doesn't make sense is that the suggested per manual 80% SWASH settings already produce all kinds of binding and interactions. This is when I check it with the RX in setup mode.

So what I want to know is what is the effect if I run the RX setup with those values vs. values that don't produce any binding or interaction? On my heli that is around 60%.

Someone has sad before that the V450D01 head design doesn't allow for as much articulation as other similar heads. I don't know but I'd like to arrive at a setup where there is no binding or interaction and I can still throw the bird around with authority.

I hear a lot of "do the RX setup right and it will calculate what it needs to do" but since it's not a pure mechanical head I'd like to know the influence of the RX in total deflection, pitch, binding and interaction during regular stabilized flight.

I miss the fine control of all parameters as in the BeastX for example where you can be sure that after setting operating limits what is it that the RX can NOT do (to avoid problems).
I could be wrong but i think the range of the head assembly's max pitch is +/- 11 degrees. Going farther will probably bind up on the stabilizer or something. It's just something i think i read somewhere. I follow the wow hobbies guide pretty much. I use 80 - 80 - 80 for mechanical servo calibration and leave it that way. Then i make adjustments in curves and DR/expo. I would think asking for BeastX quality in a stock Walkera is going a little far.
Old May 10, 2012, 07:03 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,327 Posts
Damnit. I recalibrate my 2801-pro and it changed the only FIXED ID i have in the whole TX. So now i cannot bind to my RX, i don't know what the old fixed id was. And i have no way to reset the RX because it didn't come with a plug thing that the 2801-pro manual is saying to use. I'm about done with this bs here.

EDIT: So i made my own plug out of an old servo wire and it didn't do ANYTHING when i plugged it into the battery plug and power it on. Light still flashes rapidly looking for the TX.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; May 10, 2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old May 10, 2012, 07:58 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
The process varies from RX to RX but I think with this one you plug the ESC to BATT and short THRO so signal is shorted high.
If that doesn't work you might have to try by elimination and short the pins high or low until you find the right combination.
I have a feeling the manual was wrong for this one. I'm sure I made a note of it somewhere though.
Old May 10, 2012, 08:04 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Not my vid but I hope it does the trick!

Fixed ID Cancellation on RX2702V-D - Part 1 (1 min 7 sec)
Last edited by thwaitm; May 10, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old May 10, 2012, 09:12 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
Not my vid but I hope it does the trick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_-j5...e_gdata_player
Thanks for the help, apparently they don't have any actual instruction for the 2702. I moved the throttle/esc over to something else like Gear and shorted out the battery plug with top and bottom pins. This worked. Thanks Walkera for your lack of any Fixed ID instruction on the 2702. Only for 2801.

So now i tore the RX off the double stick pad that was there trying to figure this BS out. It was wobbling all over so I'm sure that is going to be an issue since all i had was the regular black foam tape that comes to mount 2618V and smaller RX. Its regular 3m black mounting tape but the pad the 2702V was mounted on was 5x thicker than this stuff and really soft. Hopefully it will be fine with this thinner black 3m tape on there now.
Old May 10, 2012, 10:35 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
I have 3M tape holding mine on and it's even thinner - seems to work fine.
Old May 11, 2012, 12:06 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,327 Posts
Yeah turns out one of my gyros was reversed after installing the new servo, for some reason. I suppose polarization of each servo is different or something and causes reversal of gyros?

Once i figured that out i was able to hover it without any issue. Looks like my wobble is gone, but i don't want to fly it till my 3rd servo arrives. Now I'll have a full set of version 2 09-9 servos. I found a hobby shop about 30 minutes away that actually carries nothing but Align parts basically or better. I didn't see any Eflite stuff but he was stocked up on all kinds of stuff. I was totally thrilled when i came across it randomly! To my surprise he is also a Savox dealer and can get me the MG savox servos for a nominal price, so those will be installed in the coming weeks, maybe sooner if i destroy these. I don't think i can destroy them even in a crash "as is" because the servo arm is reamed out now and only the screw holds them tight. It's kind of like an inadvertent servo saver mod that happened all on it's own in my first little crash. Seems to hold good for normal flight, but i'm not doing any pitch pumps any time soon.