SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 15, 2014, 08:18 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
mike2663's Avatar
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambit View Post
Just got word from FMS that they have no plans to release any new 1400mm size planes. At least not in the first half of 2015.

Perhaps that means they will later in the year? Who knows what they are thinking at this point.
6 months ago they said they were going to focus more on the 800mm size range. So far that's whats coming down the pipe.

Mike
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2014, 08:31 AM
Registered User
Lansing, MI
Joined May 2002
215 Posts
Fwiw, I have had three of the 1400 mm birds which I am "in love with" but have zero interest in the 800 Line. Small planes, grass fields and wind are not compatible.
JLLayton is offline Find More Posts by JLLayton
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2014, 08:49 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
mike2663's Avatar
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLLayton View Post
Fwiw, I have had three of the 1400 mm birds which I am "in love with" but have zero interest in the 800 Line. Small planes, grass fields and wind are not compatible.
The overseas market likes smaller stuff. FMS is just sizing stuff to where the market is. Foam in general is not wind compatible have you tried balsa and ply? I find they just fly better.

Mike
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2014, 09:14 AM
Coy, peruser of worlds
gnats82's Avatar
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,871 Posts
Relevant to point out now...

With the scene having changed in the U.S. the way it has for FMS, I think it's appropriate for Motion.RC and Diamond Hobby to step into the original intent of this thread and be able to interact in the fashion it was designed for.

I hope they keep an eye here and can fill in with news that most would find informative
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:13 AM
Diamond Hobby's Avatar
United States, FL, Tallahassee
Joined Mar 2013
441 Posts
We do listen and read this thread. We are looking into some new designs, and yes it will not be till later in 2015. Many of you think it is an easy process to make a "NEW" Model. The average cost of a new 1400 or 1700 model from design to actually manufacturing runs close to $15000.00 The design team needs anywhere for 3 to 5 months just to come up with the prototype and initial flight testing. Any changes now requires changes to the mold and more flight testing.

We are listening!

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnats82 View Post
Relevant to point out now...

With the scene having changed in the U.S. the way it has for FMS, I think it's appropriate for Motion.RC and Diamond Hobby to step into the original intent of this thread and be able to interact in the fashion it was designed for.

I hope they keep an eye here and can fill in with news that most would find informative
Diamond Hobby is offline Find More Posts by Diamond Hobby
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:36 AM
Registered User
Lansing, MI
Joined May 2002
215 Posts
Mike 2663, yes I have tried Balsa and ply, mostly 1/4 or 1/5 scale. Gas , glow and electric.
The list includes: Gee Bee R-2, P-51, Waco Biplane, MC-200, PT-17, ME-109, F-82, Extra 300, Sopwith Camel, SE-5, Duelist, P-38, the list goes on. I currently have two Jerry Bates 1/5 P-51's under construction.
I really like the FMS birds for a quick flight. They look good, fly very well and are reasonably priced
JLLayton is offline Find More Posts by JLLayton
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2014, 02:26 PM
Registered User
CarToon's Avatar
Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
1,552 Posts
Well, it looks like Freewing, Dynam, and HK will be getting most of my business for the next year or so. It is unfortunate, because I really like the FMS 1400 planes.
CarToon is offline Find More Posts by CarToon
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2014, 03:06 PM
"its not a hobby its obsession
jiggz's Avatar
United Kingdom, Meopham
Joined Jul 2014
1,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Hobby View Post
We do listen and read this thread. We are looking into some new designs, and yes it will not be till later in 2015. Many of you think it is an easy process to make a "NEW" Model. The average cost of a new 1400 or 1700 model from design to actually manufacturing runs close to $15000.00 The design team needs anywhere for 3 to 5 months just to come up with the prototype and initial flight testing. Any changes now requires changes to the mold and more flight testing.

We are listening!

Jim
Thanx for replying to the comment....

It makes us all feel a little more comfy knowing the pilots and customer views mean something

Fms produce some very scale and solid models which keep guys like me on the workbench....or in this case the kitchen breakfast bar....to highlight the detail .....FMs 1400 f6f ...1400 p51b and 800 p40 soon to b joined by 1700 p51..

Any clues to keep us occupied on a direction u r going to go.....can we have a country at least???
Jeff
jiggz is offline Find More Posts by jiggz
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2014, 04:11 PM
Coy, peruser of worlds
gnats82's Avatar
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarToon View Post
Well, it looks like Freewing, Dynam, and HK will be getting most of my business for the next year or so. It is unfortunate, because I really like the FMS 1400 planes.
For sure, things have turned away from the planned and/or expected with FMS. I really wonder if the 'participate' part of the thread title will carry through from now on considering how that was to lead to better quality models out of the box from FMS. They seem to have found their own track now and appear actually a bit shy of desiring substantive views from modelers that use their products.

FMS pioneered the larger format models and with that now not their prime interest, this thread seems rather lost, becoming more of a modelers wish list that goes forward. I suppose that can be considered participation but not within the original concept of the thread.

FMS seems to be taking the dominant role in molded foam aircraft, kind of like General Motors was during ww2 and for a long time thereafter over the other big auto companies. The others that have come along to fill out the selection of the larger models we see certainly seem intent on showing creativity and strength in this market that FMS has pushed to a side track.

I see the current small models that have taken stage center are directly aimed at the Parkzone type customer and have drawn interest away from that brand with a list of valuable features.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2014, 04:51 PM
The sky is my playground.
Dora Nine's Avatar
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,752 Posts
This is true. I'm looking at the Durafly spitfire with upcoming five blade prop, the Seafury, P-40, and Zero. Horizon makes great products, but they need to be cranking them out, not dribbling.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2014, 06:17 PM
Aaron
Realms's Avatar
Australia
Joined Aug 2012
1,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Hobby View Post
We do listen and read this thread. We are looking into some new designs, and yes it will not be till later in 2015. Many of you think it is an easy process to make a "NEW" Model. The average cost of a new 1400 or 1700 model from design to actually manufacturing runs close to $15000.00 The design team needs anywhere for 3 to 5 months just to come up with the prototype and initial flight testing. Any changes now requires changes to the mold and more flight testing.

We are listening!

Jim
I really hope FMS are considering a revamp of the Spitfire. If they did that right it would sell like crazy.
Realms is offline Find More Posts by Realms
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2014, 09:34 AM
Registered User
Carnet's Avatar
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jul 2013
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realms View Post
I really hope FMS are considering a revamp of the Spitfire. If they did that right it would sell like crazy.
Ditto...it's really a shame that the only spitfire on the market right now is the dynam. I don't really count the durafly spitfire because it is a bubble top canopy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dora Nine View Post
I'm looking at the Durafly spitfire with upcoming five blade prop.
Is this an entirely new model, or is it just a modification of the one with the bubble top canopy?
Carnet is offline Find More Posts by Carnet
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion FMS Giant P-47 EPO 1400mm Warbird jbc Electric Warbirds 4007 Dec 07, 2014 09:34 PM
Discussion New SSX Biplane jkarpy Millennium R/C 250 Nov 24, 2013 03:23 PM
New Product FMS GIANT FOAM P-47 Thunderbolt Lexta Electric Warbirds 28 Oct 03, 2010 10:55 AM
Gallery Super giant size warbirds! Wow!! kusunokimasahige Fuel Warbirds 3 Feb 28, 2010 11:10 PM
Cool Giant Scale RC Warbirds In "The Dogfight That Did Happen" At_your_six Fuel Warbirds 2 Sep 28, 2009 02:16 PM