New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Feb 17, 2010, 04:16 PM
RGibson is offline
Find More Posts by RGibson
Registered User
Joined Feb 2010
17 Posts
Discussion
Servos - Hitec HS-5045HB vs HS-65MG

I am starting to build my first flat foamy and am trying to decide which servo to use. I have narrowed it down to two servos: Hitec HS-5045HB and HS-65MG. I like the shock resistance and overall robustness of the metal gears, but the 5045 has some nice digital features and supposedly is designed to resist stripping...and it's cheaper than the 65MG...so I'm kinda leaning that way...what are your thoughts?
RGibson is offline Find More Posts by RGibson
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2010, 04:51 PM
Spitfire222 is offline
Find More Posts by Spitfire222
You know how we do
Spitfire222's Avatar
Maryland
Joined Jan 2010
120 Posts
I say go for Hs-56HB's! I love mine.

Honestly, I would tend to think that your 2 choices are overkill for foamies. Many people successfully fly 3D foamies with even smaller and cheaper non-name brand servos. If you're set on one of those 2, I'd say go for the 65's.

Just my opinion.
Spitfire222 is offline Find More Posts by Spitfire222
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 05:16 PM
RGibson is offline
Find More Posts by RGibson
Registered User
Joined Feb 2010
17 Posts
I know they are overkill as far as control is concerned, I'm more interested in robustness from crashing...like landing on the rudder and/or elevator while practicing a hover at eye level. I was originally considering the HXT900 cheapo servos (https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...?idproduct=662) but don't want to have to keep replacing them every time I touch the ground with one of my control surfaces...
RGibson is offline Find More Posts by RGibson
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 05:35 PM
Dan5.0 is offline
Find More Posts by Dan5.0
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Dan5.0's Avatar
Joined Dec 2008
4,089 Posts
I would like to know what kind of setup you plan to run, weight, wingspan etc.
I've had hundreds of HXT 900 and HXT 500(not joking at all) and that they are very durable. You may get a bad one out of the box, but in a foamy they are perfect. I can't think of a foamy that would need HS-5045HB or HS-65MG's.
Please give us some more info and we would be glad to help.
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 05:43 PM
RGibson is offline
Find More Posts by RGibson
Registered User
Joined Feb 2010
17 Posts
It's a custom EPP Yak-55, with about a 36" wingspan. Design weight is around 16 oz. Like I said, I'm just looking for crash resiliency. In terms of performance, I'm certain the HXT900's would be adequate.

How do you think they would hold up to a cartwheel in the dirt after a miscalculated knife edge pass? Or like I said earlier if I drop the plane on the rudder and elevator while trying to do a hover because I let battery go dead, or the speed control or prop fails or something.
RGibson is offline Find More Posts by RGibson
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 05:49 PM
Dan5.0 is offline
Find More Posts by Dan5.0
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Dan5.0's Avatar
Joined Dec 2008
4,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGibson View Post
It's a custom EPP Yak-55, with about a 36" wingspan. Design weight is around 16 oz. Like I said, I'm just looking for crash resiliency. In terms of performance, I'm certain the HXT900's would be adequate.

How do you think they would hold up to a cartwheel in the dirt after a miscalculated knife edge pass? Or like I said earlier if I drop the plane on the rudder and elevator while trying to do a hover because I let battery go dead, or the speed control or prop fails or something.
First off you should never let your Lipos die in mid flight, if you want them to last long you need to put a timer on and stop flying when your timer says so.

I flew a 14 oz. EPP foamy w hxt 900 and never had problems, and I always buy a few extras. At that price its pretty easy.

Also 16oz. seem too heavy for a 36" wingspan made from EPP. What size battery do you plane on running?
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 07:42 PM
RGibson is offline
Find More Posts by RGibson
Registered User
Joined Feb 2010
17 Posts
Yes, I know how to take care of LiPo's, I was just using that as an example. My point was about stripping the gears on the rudder and/or elevator servo for whatever reason. You know, Mr. Murphy.

So you've never stripped one of the HXT900's? Have you ever landed on the tail? How about landing on the end of the aileron/wing tip? I'm using 0.047" piano wire, so that should soak up some of the shock on the rudder and elevator, but the ailerons push rods are going to be fairly short, so they won't enjoy that luxury...

I'm planning on running a Turnigy 2830 outrunner with a 9x3.8 prop, Plush-30 ESC and a 1000mAh LiPo. The airframe runs around 5 oz. I figured by the time I put on all of the electronics it would be somewhere around 15 oz. Perhaps I'm overestimating?
RGibson is offline Find More Posts by RGibson
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 08:01 PM
Xpress.. is offline
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Hitec RCD CSR
Xpress..'s Avatar
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,489 Posts
You're going to want to go with an AUW around 13-14oz on a 10x4.7SF prop, and a 900mah 3 cell lipo or so for a plane like that. Lighter wingloading makes them fly better.

For servos, you should go with something similar to HS55's, like a corona DS928BB. I'm running some of the DS939MG's on my DW Foamies 38" Yak, and they are FANTASTIC! Perfect centering, tons of torque, and ZERO blowback (digital ). The DS928BB's should work very well for that foamy though, and being digital, and with 25oz in torque, they should be more than enough

And you shouldn't hover towards the end of your flight, it's just pretty much leaving the door wide open with a huge "COME HERE!" sign for Mr. Murphy
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 08:34 PM
RGibson is offline
Find More Posts by RGibson
Registered User
Joined Feb 2010
17 Posts
Kinda funny that you link to RCHotdeals. He lives like 20 minutes from me.

Thanks for the advice. I'm still a little concerned about using plastic geared servos though...
RGibson is offline Find More Posts by RGibson
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 08:42 PM
Dan5.0 is offline
Find More Posts by Dan5.0
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Dan5.0's Avatar
Joined Dec 2008
4,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGibson View Post
Yes, I know how to take care of LiPo's, I was just using that as an example. My point was about stripping the gears on the rudder and/or elevator servo for whatever reason. You know, Mr. Murphy.

So you've never stripped one of the HXT900's? Have you ever landed on the tail? How about landing on the end of the aileron/wing tip? I'm using 0.047" piano wire, so that should soak up some of the shock on the rudder and elevator, but the ailerons push rods are going to be fairly short, so they won't enjoy that luxury...

I'm planning on running a Turnigy 2830 outrunner with a 9x3.8 prop, Plush-30 ESC and a 1000mAh LiPo. The airframe runs around 5 oz. I figured by the time I put on all of the electronics it would be somewhere around 15 oz. Perhaps I'm overestimating?

I've stripped a few HXT 500's landing on the rudder. Never really the HXT 900, I've had 2 or 3 go on me but after hundreds of flights.
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 09:54 PM
kevbeer is offline
Find More Posts by kevbeer
3d and other
kevbeer's Avatar
los angeles
Joined Jan 2004
1,072 Posts
I fly a 40" WS flat foat (6 mm depron) with HS 55's all around...65mgs are good servos, but honestly way over kill.

Might I suggest the the HS 45HB:

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/759258.asp

smaller but has stronger gears, not metal though, composite.
kevbeer is offline Find More Posts by kevbeer
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 09:58 PM
paintball_kidz is offline
Find More Posts by paintball_kidz
Epic Huckin'
paintball_kidz's Avatar
Surrey, BC
Joined Jun 2007
2,388 Posts
Dude, your really underestimating the hxt900 and 500. I've been flying the same one for over 1.5 years. They are really great, i love my high speed snaps and full throttle elevatiors, I've always dropped my rudder too low by accident trying to just give a little touch while hovering many times. I've had my plane cart wheel once and flipped twice hard on the tail and it was just a pick and toss situation.

These things are strong, mighty and will last.
paintball_kidz is offline Find More Posts by paintball_kidz
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:40 AM
Xpress.. is offline
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Hitec RCD CSR
Xpress..'s Avatar
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,489 Posts
I disagree with the suggestions of the HS45HB. Sure it's nice to have Karbonite gears that SLIP, not strip, BUT it's barely got the torque for mild flying. I'm the kind of person that would have slipping problems 95% of the time if I were to use HS45HB's on my 14oz foamies. HS55's just barely cut it, with blowback on the occasion, but the Corona digis are hard to beat for their performance, speed, and price
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 06:24 AM
Dan5.0 is offline
Find More Posts by Dan5.0
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Dan5.0's Avatar
Joined Dec 2008
4,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGibson View Post
Kinda funny that you link to RCHotdeals. He lives like 20 minutes from me.

Thanks for the advice. I'm still a little concerned about using plastic geared servos though...
Wow you live out in OR? Thats where I wanna be someday.
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 09:45 AM
RGibson is offline
Find More Posts by RGibson
Registered User
Joined Feb 2010
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
I disagree with the suggestions of the HS45HB. Sure it's nice to have Karbonite gears that SLIP, not strip, BUT it's barely got the torque for mild flying. I'm the kind of person that would have slipping problems 95% of the time if I were to use HS45HB's on my 14oz foamies. HS55's just barely cut it, with blowback on the occasion, but the Corona digis are hard to beat for their performance, speed, and price
What is "blowback?" From the context, I'm guessing you are referring to slipping a cog on the gears due to force on the control surface?

How about the 5045HB's, I've heard that the digital versions have more "holding force." I don't really understand how a "digital" control system would have more "holding force..." seems like that would be more of a precision issue...

So, the HS55's that you've used were plastic geared? How about the HS-5055MG's? They have the metal gears, but no bearing. I wonder how they hold up without an output shaft bearing?

I think at this point, I'm either going to go super cheap and get the HXT900's, or go bulletproof and get the HS-65MG's for all four servos...but damn, this is getting expensive! The 65MG servos cost as much as the rest of the plane together!!

Do you guys think I could get away with using a single aileron servo if I went with the 65MG's? As opposed to using two separate wing-mounted servos. That would save me nearly $40, and have the advantages of lighter weight and more centralized COG...
RGibson is offline Find More Posts by RGibson
Last edited by RGibson; Feb 18, 2010 at 10:28 AM.
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion HItec HS 5045HB danfitz Hand Launch 10 Feb 12, 2010 05:19 PM
Sold Hitec HS 65MG servos , nib , i have 4 more.. Dennis Everett Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 7 Feb 07, 2010 09:54 AM
Sold Hitec HS-65MG Micro Servos Kyonic Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 1 Jan 12, 2010 05:58 PM
Sold Hitec HS-65MG servos x2 NIB rsasaki Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 5 Aug 26, 2009 01:42 AM
Sold 2 NIP Hitec HS-65MG Servos, 1 NIP HS-65HB, 1 NIP HS-65MG Gear Set chadtyro Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 1 May 04, 2009 09:09 PM