HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2009, 11:51 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1 Posts
Discussion
Vancouver, BC Model Boat Club

Located in Abbotsford, BC, Mill Lake is a great place for R/C boats of all kinds. There is also a place for smaller boats or boats that don't like too many waves.

If you want to meet, let me know! I have a slower boat and prefer no waves.

TheBaldEagle is offline Find More Posts by TheBaldEagle
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2009, 11:24 AM
Joined Dec 2007
109 Posts
Good morning Eagle, we do have another club in Burnaby, the Burnaby Association Of Marine Modellers, that meet at Central Park. We have about 44 members, a club house and a good variety of RC models on the water.
I'm in Pitt Meadows and we even have a member from Washington State. You are more than welcome pop over on a Sunday morning and see what were up to. We have a one day show at the Brentwood Town Centre on Feb 28th if your interested and bring your models. Is this a new club you are starting up? We also have a monthly club newsletter if your interested in receiving it.
Kim
canute is offline Find More Posts by canute
Last edited by canute; Feb 02, 2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2009, 10:49 PM
NW NW Washington
Joined Aug 2007
724 Posts
Welcome, Bald Eagle. I am the Below 49 (Washington) member of BAMM Canute mentioned. More details on the pond in Abbotsford, and plans for forming a club there, please. Do you have the owner's permission to run boats? Parking? Good banks or a pier for launching/retrieving boats? Address of the pond, or directions?
CGAux26 is online now Find More Posts by CGAux26
Old Feb 02, 2009, 12:00 AM
Yacht Captain
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Oct 2007
333 Posts
Looked at this lake with google before and thought it might be interesting.
More info please.
yacht boy is offline Find More Posts by yacht boy
Old Feb 02, 2009, 02:57 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,669 Posts
I miss the days of the old Valley Marine Modelers that held a regatta in the Abbottsford area. Pond was nice and easy access to the water. Memory does me correct it was off HWY1 near the Mount Lehman Road.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Feb 02, 2009, 06:31 PM
Joined Dec 2007
109 Posts
Keith, I have heard of a few boat clubs in the Vancouver area that have disappeared. I notice a small lake by the Abbottsford airport. Wonder if that is the one you mean. Might take a ride by there sometime just to take a look. If you look a google maps, its on Walmesley Road.
Kim
Old Feb 04, 2009, 08:19 AM
Darren
Bowmanville, Ontario
Joined Oct 2007
48 Posts
I still have an award from the Annual Maygatta from 1984!! That was a fun event!! Can't remember the location or club name, but I think it was at a campground? Mill lake does sound familiar, though!

Darren
Admhawk is offline Find More Posts by Admhawk
Old Feb 04, 2009, 11:25 AM
Tugs Rule!!
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Nov 2007
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canute
Keith, I have heard of a few boat clubs in the Vancouver area that have disappeared. I notice a small lake by the Abbottsford airport. Wonder if that is the one you mean. Might take a ride by there sometime just to take a look. If you look a google maps, its on Walmesley Road.
Kim
Right you are Kim!
tugs53 is offline Find More Posts by tugs53
Last edited by tugs53; Feb 05, 2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2009, 11:53 AM
Joined Dec 2007
109 Posts
Mike, I remember last summer we were running on our regular Sunday morning. There must have been twelve plus members when a lady came up, stood in front of us and threw hands full of bread. No one could speak, we were dumb founded. We have a good relationship with the ducks and they often sit by our feet while we run boats. The other thing is you do not feed birds bread, particularly in the winter.
Old Feb 04, 2009, 12:21 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugs53

This could start a good Rant huh??

Mike
Nah,...

But it is called Bird Flu, not model boat flu...
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Feb 04, 2009, 04:48 PM
victoria, bc
Joined Oct 2003
777 Posts
Luckily at our pond City has placed signs advising that there is a bylaw - don't feed the birds! We only deal with those that are unable to read. Used to have a city police officer in the club which helped on occasion.
mike_victoriaBC is offline Find More Posts by mike_victoriaBC
Old Feb 05, 2009, 11:02 AM
Joined Dec 2007
109 Posts
This thread is 'for the birds'. Sorry about that, I couldn't help myself.
Eagle, we kind of lost you in the mix of things. I'll try to get up your way and check out Mill Lake.
Is there parking close to where you run your model? We have another BAMM member in Maple Ridge (hi Mike) that might be interested.
Kim
Old Feb 07, 2010, 03:08 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2 Posts
hello i type from spain , im searching new canadian friends... i give here for you a nice present... regards...
funkenderstadt is offline Find More Posts by funkenderstadt
Old Feb 07, 2010, 03:16 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2 Posts

this is , sorry... regards... im in messenger in funkenderstadt@hotmail.com
funkenderstadt is offline Find More Posts by funkenderstadt
Old Feb 08, 2010, 02:43 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,669 Posts
funkenderstadt
Nice photo shop pic with some fun. Only problem is that the direction those vessels ar heading at speed they would be about to ram a seaplane base, harbor, and hotel landing as that is a cove between Vancouver and Stanly Park. The back vessel could eb pulling up to the Exxon station fuel barge. Just watch the winter olympics the next couple of weeks and you will more than likely see what I am talking about since most newscast like the location of Canada Place for the backdrop. Neat looking vessels there!
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S