HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:42 PM
Joined Sep 2014
4 Posts
Discussion
Getting back into RC

Hi all!
Im a returning rc pilot and it must be about 10-12 years ago since i last flew an rc plane.
The Hangar 9 P-47D-1 60´size is just to hard to resist hehe

The thing is, i have never flew an scale warbird before. ive got plenty of stick time in trainers and 15 size combat planes. i have some stick time in an 60 size akromaster aswell.

My plan is to dust off an old trainer just to get back in the saddle. buy a 2.4ghz futaba radio. And ive been looking at the hangar 9 40 sizeP-51 to get used with retracts and flaps. what do you guys say, would it be to early to get the P-51?
My goal is to fly the p47 in maybe a year or two.
fille_swe is offline Find More Posts by fille_swe
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2014, 03:36 PM
United States, TX, Haltom City
Joined Mar 2013
601 Posts
Just my opinion here but if you've flown before, I'd think it would like riding the proverbial bicycle. You don't forget.
You might be a little rusty, but I don't think it will take two years for you to move up to the P-47 unless you only fly a few times a year.
Your thinking of trainer to P-51 to P-47 seems OK to me.
Martin5465 is offline Find More Posts by Martin5465
Old Sep 21, 2014, 06:40 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,370 Posts
What size plane are you considering - and also which power system (Glow or Electric)?
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:13 AM
Joined Sep 2014
4 Posts
Thanks for answers. The P-51 is he 40 size arf and the P-47 is the Hangar 9 60 size.
Fo the P-51 i was thinking to go either Electric or 2stroke glow. For the P-47 im considering a saito 4 stroke.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 01:07 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,236 Posts
There is more to the gas vs electric question than we can cover here.... If you like the convenience of electric so be it, if you want your warbird to make noise and smell bad you've come to the right place.

Whether it's gas or electric different models will have different flight characteristics.
A P47 will always be more forgiving than a P40 or P51 which is why every hangar should have a P47 to start with and a Saito is a great choice... Remember that the bigger the plane the easier they are to fly... Good Luck
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Sep 22, 2014, 02:43 PM
Joined Sep 2014
4 Posts
the reason i was thinking of Electric Power in the P-51 was to keep it simple but i do like the smell and noise from a glow Engine
And now i just realised i have an O.S 61 FX with a pitts style muffler from my crashed akromaster. im not sure of the condition of the Engine since its not been used in about 10 year. maybe that one could fit into the P-51?
Last edited by fille_swe; Sep 22, 2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 04:24 PM
Joined Feb 2012
153 Posts
No matter if your considering gas, electric, or nitro, I suggest picking up an electric PNP like the Dynam or FMS P-51 or P-47. These are worth the investment in that they fly much like the bigger wood counterparts but are in-expensive, durable, and can be replaced within a week. All this gives you confidence to practice flying the warbird without worrying about cracking up a nitro or gas built up model.
scottrc78 is offline Find More Posts by scottrc78
Old Sep 22, 2014, 06:25 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,486 Posts
ok I will go out on a limb here, and suggest that you go with a Sig 4* 60 size or a 60 size stik, or even a Goldburg 60 size tiger!

your skills sound ample for your ambitions!

and just have someone get her up and trimmed out for you, and give you the stiks, your fingers will come around, I took off about 10 years once, and was back on the stiks with a couple laps around the patch!

then get you that warbird, and a 20 size gas engine!
whiskykid is online now Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old Sep 23, 2014, 03:01 PM
Joined Sep 2014
4 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. Im still considering the 40 size P-51, seems to fly well
Its great to see all those ARF scale and semi scale planes out there today. its a different hobby today. i´ve still got a 60 size Top Flite P-47 D gold edition half build its been collecting dust for over 10 years . but im not really a builder so with all these Beautiful arf planes im ready to reenter the hobby.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 09:29 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fille_swe View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Im still considering the 40 size P-51, seems to fly well
Its great to see all those ARF scale and semi scale planes out there today. its a different hobby today. i´ve still got a 60 size Top Flite P-47 D gold edition half build its been collecting dust for over 10 years . but im not really a builder so with all these Beautiful arf planes im ready to reenter the hobby.
Yes these beautiful ARFs allow many of us who are not builders and do not have the time to become builders to fly some nice scale models... Search the internet for reviews on the model you are considering. Some models have flight quirks or assembly issues.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4