SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 11, 2014, 06:41 PM
Joined Apr 2008
232 Posts
Build Log
EASYTIGER COUGAR---127 mm

There aren't many 120mm ARFs out there and I decided to take a chance on this one. At only $795 it tempted me despite the terrible things you read about the company online, and the nearly complete lack of reviews and info on RCU, RCG,etc.

2 other threads I found are Discussion only--not Build--and have very little info. So I think I'll do a Build thread and find out just how good or bad this model really is.

Others interested in this size at this low price can stay tuned here to see what I discover--- instead of gambling your own time and money.
softshell29 is offline Find More Posts by softshell29
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2014, 06:47 PM
Joined Apr 2008
232 Posts
Packing

After seeing the YT video on how bad Easytiger packing allegedly is, I was pleasantly surprised to receive this big box.

As you can see, the parts were not loose, unprotected and broken. Packing was very much like a normal ARF. There was no damage at all.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 07:00 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,158 Posts
i think all the bad stuff you hear is in the past ...there have been a few guys pleased with there service ...i believe i would be willing to give them a shot .im sure all companies make a boo boo here and there.cougars fly well keep us posted .
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Aug 11, 2014, 07:11 PM
Joined Apr 2008
232 Posts
Initial impressions

I'm not a scale purist, but some Easytiger models seem way off even to me. This one may have enlarged wing area--I'm not sure. If it does thats a positive for me due to the lower wing loading advantages. It clearly has over-large intakes. Thats a definite functional plus for an electric jet as opposed to a turbine.

The quality of construction is at first glance quite good. With some exceptions I'll detail below, the built up wings and tail feathers appear superior to most ARFs I've done, including finish, fit and lightness.

By this standard, it is equal to the best parts of the inexpensive HobbyKing 90mm Cougar, I recently reported on, here---http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28939339&postcount=28--

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...r#post27403192

However, the fiberglass parts (for their size) appear much lighter and superior to the HK Cougar. To my inexpert eye, the HK Cougar looks more scale. But it can barely get off the ground (off grass) and has other issues this Easy Tiger appears not to have.

OK thats 3 times I hedged my comments with "appears". The jury is still out on this Easytiger Cougar. It has the makings of a truly great value, but it could also be a total waste of money. Too early to tell now, until I dig in and find the truth.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:05 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,158 Posts
cougars had a lot of wing area ,plus the body has lift. i bet the wing is pretty scale ,some of the 90mm cougars out there are way off scale . my son is in the middle of modding one to make it more scale . post your finding for us all to see.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 12:47 AM
Electrified User
United States, MD, Aberdeen
Joined Aug 2012
152 Posts
I am very interested in how this model turns out. I have met the man responsible for Easytiger at the NEAT fair over the past couple years and have had several conversations with him. He is a likable fellow and I have no problems with him, though from what I have read, there are others who don't like him.

I purchased a 120mm Mig-15 from him. It was his demo model that I assume was built by him and powered by the "golden tiger" aka Taiwan Tornado with a HET 700-98 840kv on 12s. I have yet to fly it. His work seemed a little rushed and not quite up to my standards so I am reworking the control surface hinges, retracts, power cable wiring and soldering and battery mounting. I plan to post pictures and what not in a build blog on my profile soon for those who maybe interested.

(I also built the HK Cougar, and flew into a mountain.....not on purpose)

Now please, more pictures and info on that Cougar!
Ashveratu is offline Find More Posts by Ashveratu
Old Aug 12, 2014, 01:22 PM
Joined Apr 2008
232 Posts
I found the owner personable too, but that proves little.
If he was a con man he would have an exceptional personality, as required by that "profession."

What I can say now for sure is he's not just selling this stuff . He obviously has great experience and knowledge in our hobby . He evidently wrote the instructions for the cougar and they are outstanding.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 09:40 PM
Joined Apr 2008
232 Posts
FIXING TEs

First thing I'm doing is fixing the trailing edges. Others might not consider this worth doing, . I wouldn't bother if it were just their nonscale look. I care about drag--the functional deficit of their thickness. I just can't stand having a jet with trailing edges like these--worse than a draggy biplane. To me these are Cartoon Scale--like a children's book airplane-- and must go.

I was able to fix this without having to recover ( where can you find an exact match for this orange?). I just razored the edges, peeled back the covering then bar sanded the shape to a clean, sharp TE. I sanded both sides evenly, leaving the root the same width and with its covering still intact. Then I reattached the peeled back covering with a heat iron.

Here are the main steps, before pic and before-after comparison.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 09:46 PM
United States, CA, Chino Hills
Joined Jan 2011
1,279 Posts
Trailing Edge

How does it look on the model. Well at least where the aileron meets the fuselage. Just wondering if the taper is similar to the fuse contour. Look forward to your thread. I'm sure there are a few guys that want to see the build and what you may change to make a finished model.

Subscribed.
jefffassbinder is offline Find More Posts by jefffassbinder
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Conventional RX
Old Aug 12, 2014, 09:53 PM
Joined Apr 2008
232 Posts
TEs /COVERING

I did this on both ailerons, both elevators, the upper part of the rudder and the lower half of each split flap. Only the ailerons really needed this treatment, the others being much thinner (but still not thin enough for me).

I like the outcome and expected to have to do things like this on an ARF. My only regret--small-- is my recovering is not as good as factory. In fact, the covering job on this plane isn't just good for its low price--its actually the best I have ever seen on any ARF. Can't believe I just said that. But this is the first ARF I've bought that arrived with not one wrinkle to iron out and still looked that way after a week of acclimating to Cleveland temperatures and humidity.

Another plus I discovered doing this is the nice quality of the balsa and use of lighter stock in the rear. Didn't expect that. Too bad Easytiger couldn't get its TEs as great as its LEs. Like these stab LEs for example.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:38 PM
Joined Apr 2008
232 Posts
Good point Jeff A B on how will it line up with the fuse. I didn't think of that, partly because I would have fixed this defect no matter what it looked like.

I just checked and turns out It will look OK at the fuse, partly due to a second , flap defect I found and will describe in a later post.. But you can see the tip is still fat and the flap-- aileron joint may also look off. I might fix these after flying but I need them as alignment gauges for now. Actually, I may luck out here and be able to get the most visible side (top view) to align by raising each aileron just a bit . That reflex would be a good measure anyway for tip-stall avoidance on a warbird maiden.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:59 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,158 Posts
big difference ...looks good
Old Aug 13, 2014, 07:36 PM
Joined Apr 2008
232 Posts
Cougar flap defect

Thanks, Air Sally

Next, I noticed both wings were broken. The wing portion of each split flap had broken loose. My guess is this happened at the factory, not in shipping, since this part of the design is too weak to withstand hanger rash.These sections are supposed to be an integral part of the wing, fixed to it and immovable. But, with only the covering holding them to the wing they were like additional ailerons which can only move up. Real bad, but surprisingly easy to fix in a little over 2 hours today.

When a wing component is this thin it cannot use conventional construction--balsa with a tiny end cap of ply. There are many ways the factory could have reinforced this part. I added 4 thin carbon rods to each side, in a "minimally invasive surgery" retro fit. One advantage to this is it leaves the upper surface--the one seen by the public--untouched. I didn't have to break the seamless covering.

These pics tell the story from problem to solution.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:37 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,742 Posts
probably cause they arnt supposed to be split flaps nice fix though

when i see design changes like split flaps im like....what was there thinking?
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:45 AM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,300 Posts
They weren't...
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller