HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2012, 01:10 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Build Log
Mikoyan-Gurevich Mig 15

Hello Everyone, it's been awhile since I have done a build thread and I thought this one would be a good one to do. I've always liked the way that old Mig 15 looked in the air, and usually the models I've seen have all been great fliers. This thread is different for me, as there are no plans on this one, it is being scratch built from a set of 3-views(inspired by John Morgan a 3 view builder extraordinaire!). I've wanted to do this for a long time, and thought this one would be a good plane to start with.
Before we get going, some great history of this great old plane, complements of Wikipedia, this is only a paragraph, and there is lots more if you care to indulge by going to their site! So here is a short paragraph to enjoy,,,
The Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15 (Russian: Микоян и Гуревич МиГ-15) was a jet fighter developed for the USSR by Artem Mikoyan and Mikhail Gurevich. The MiG-15 was one of the first successful swept-wing jet fighters, and it achieved fame in the skies over Korea, where early in the war, it outclassed all straight-winged enemy fighters in daylight. The MiG-15 also served as the starting point for development of the more advanced MiG-17 which was still an effective threat to supersonic American fighters over North Vietnam in the 1960s. The MiG-15 is believed to have been the most widely produced jet aircraft ever made, with over 12,000 built. Licensed foreign production perhaps raised the total to over 18,000.[1] The MiG-15 is often mentioned along with the North American F-86 Sabre in lists of the best fighter aircraft of the Korean War and in comparison with fighters of other eras.
Now, for some specs to begin, it will be a 70mm fan, 3000kv motor, 60/70 amp esc, separate bec, and probably run on a 3000ma 4S 40C cell. WS will be 33", at this point, I don't have a weight target, but we'll get to that as we go along. As with all my builds, I do hope that everyone joins in, all ideas are welcome as like I said, this will be my first build from a 3 view, so I've got more to learn, so lets have some fun and get to it! w.

So getting right to it, I first started thinking about building with bulkheads and skining it, but then come up with a better way(in my mind), which what I did was make rings out of cardboard from the different areas along the fuse, make square boxes from foam(started out doing this) as the only 2" foam stock I have is white expanded which isn't as strong as the blue foam..... I glued the rings onto the ends of the boxes, and carve them out, first one I used a sanford file, after that, I hooked up my hot wire and cut them out with that, MUCH easier!
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 01:41 PM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
hey Walt,
good idea with the hotwire/bandsaw, I never thought of doing it that way, I gotta put one together.
if that is a HobbyPartz fan you really dont need all that battery, the Phantom will fly over 5min on a GensAce 1800mah 4s 25c and barely get warm, and only weighs 6.5oz's.
the ESC that comes with the combo does have a BEC, even though the listing says it doesnt

Joe
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Old Jul 14, 2012, 06:49 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Hi Joe! No, I'm not using the Detrum setup, I'm using a fan,motor, and esc from HK, the one im using in my Mirage and it seems to be doing pretty good. One day I'll give the Detrum rig a try. W
Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:55 AM
Allways the hard way!
South Africa, GP, Germiston
Joined Jan 2012
460 Posts
Love this jet! Will be watching the progress. Where are you gonna put the battery? Which power set-up?
I'm used to stock foamy set-ups, so knowing what works will help when i buy again...

George
georgy is offline Find More Posts by georgy
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:42 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
721 Posts
Subbed

Hey Walt,,very nice on the fuse rings....I like it!!!!
I'll be watching this one for sure..
Was wondering when you were gonna start getting dusty again..........chris
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:08 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,898 Posts
Too cool for school Walt.
Looking forward to seeing how this construction techniques works out. Looks like a good idea.

What type of glue are you using on the foam? how does it sand?

Julian
Boogie_ is online now Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:37 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Chris, Julian, George, glad to see you guys looking in here! Chris, I've been waffling trying to figure out which plane to build next, there are so many I want to do, but what would be a good starter to this 3 view scratch build, it is a challenge to say the least, much different than building from plans, alot of thought, makes my little brain sweat!!! George, the fan/motor setup I'm using I have used before, they are from HobbyKing, they are "cheap"!(this is a low buck deal here) I have the setup in another plane of mine and it works pretty good actually, here are the links.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11164
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17231
sometimes the trick is catching them in stock as they seem to be out of stock alot..
Julian, I can't remember where I seen this cutting sections and putting them together but that is what seemed much easier to me than the bulk head/skin method at the moment, guess we will both see how it turns out! The glue I used to build the squares with is elmers rubber cement, comes in a bottle with a brush attached, brush on both surfaces, let dry(less than a minute) then put together, make sure you have them aligned before touching, cause once touched, its' done! The stuff sands like it isn't even there!! that is one of the beauties of it, it's easy, and at $1.60 a jar at Wally, you can't beat the price, it's fast too.. Now for the cons, I have had seams open some, not completely let go, but open just a bit, but I have that with the 3M 77 too, this is alot less messy, but I still use the 3M for large mating areas.. Hope this helps.. try it, I think you'll like it, Freddy put me onto this.. Oh, the open seams, I just put a little glue on them and put them back together, now this is very minor, not all over,, and once a finish is on, I haven't had that issue...
Here are some more pics, rings have a 3/8" wall thickness, I figured that would give room for the fan and duct work and add some strength. I think I mentioned building the boxes for the rings, that is because I can only get 3/4" blue down here, when I go north to Indy before long, I'm bringing back a load of 2" they have it up there! Now, I used expanded bead 2" to cut the last two sections, I thought it might work, but now I'm thinking about redoing them in the blue, they are really weak and flimsy, good for a wing covered in balsa, but not on it's own... w.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:56 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,898 Posts
Please tell me that ain't the Atari "Pole Position" game on the TV.

Quote:
I can only get 3/4" blue down here, when I go north to Indy before long, I'm bringing back a load of 2" they have it up there!
Make a swing through Lou'sana on your way back. I can't get the 2" over here either. I guess we insulate against the heat in the South, not the cold. No need for Lowe's to stock the heavy stuff.

I would redo the tail sections also. That giant fin and T-tail are going to need a good anchor.
Boogie_ is online now Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:04 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,703 Posts
Great looking build Walt! Now throw a prop on the back on it and you'll really have a performer!!!! I guess I'm just asking to get flamed here.
Take a break and get that damned F-4 maidened you slacker!

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:45 AM
michigan jet guy
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Jul 2007
1,101 Posts
looking good walt. I was thinking of trying to do a 17 with this method. Will be watchin. Phil
mrshea is online now Find More Posts by mrshea
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:41 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,860 Posts
Nice job, Walt. I'm with you on your glueing method. I used both of those on my F-86 plug. Hot wiring the blue/pink foam as you did takes half the battle out of shaping. Some 80/100 grit to finaly shape, and you can get it pretty smooth with 180grit.
What size will it be?-- WS-Length? --Retracts? I'll be following along, too!
Mark
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jul 15, 2012, 02:59 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
Please tell me that ain't the Atari "Pole Position" game on the TV.
Make a swing through Lou'sana on your way back. I can't get the 2" over here either. I guess we insulate against the heat in the South, not the cold. No need for Lowe's to stock the heavy stuff.
I would redo the tail sections also. That giant fin and T-tail are going to need a good anchor.
Nope, it was an open wheel race, Indy or F1 don't remember which,,, had the Tour on, now Nascar at the moment! Man, if it were closer, I'd sure swing by there,, bet you got some awesome crawfish etouffee!!!! ohman, my mouth is watering thinkin about it!!!!!! Been working on redoing the tail sections, that weak weenie white foam was just too flimsy! two tubes, gluing together right now... man i hate makin those odd shaped boxes!! w.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:01 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Great looking build Walt! Now throw a prop on the back on it and you'll really have a performer!!!! I guess I'm just asking to get flamed here.
Take a break and get that damned F-4 maidened you slacker!

J
Man, I'm suprized that area of TN hasn't been nuked for that spinny think on the back comment here!!!!! yeah yeah, the F4 is settin here on the floor waiting for the retracts to be finished.... busy cuttin foam at the moment here! w.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:04 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Hi Phil!!! glad your here, jump on that Mig17!! I don't think there was any difference?? a bigger engine?.. w.

Mark,,, WS is 33" length is 31" not counting the tail overhang.. no gear, will be hand launch and belly land... For retracts I'd have to go abit bigger, and I'm trying to stay in this size right now.... w.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:45 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Ok, that tail end of the fuse was just toooo weenie, so I got busy yesterday and built boxes from the blue foam and cut them out, it's amazing how much stronger that it is now... besides that, worked on the tail feathers some. Had a friend come over and I fixed two of his planes for him, and that took about the whole day, more today though, back to the shop today, lots to do!!! w.