HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:23 PM
United States, PA, Lititz
Joined Apr 2012
26 Posts
Discussion
Esc/rudder Question

Ok all you electric flyers. In setting up my 3DHS slick I was installing the motor and getting my servos set and checking connectivity.

My point.
Why does the rudder move when you apply power to the motor. I am hoping that this is normal. I a guessing it has to do something with the motor and the power that is put down. I conclude this also to the motor mount being off a few degrees which I had someone answer before that the motor mount is designed that way.

Coming for nitro planes I have not had the rudder move when applying power to the motor...

Thoughts?

Bill
3drcflyer is offline Find More Posts by 3drcflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:37 PM
United States, IN, Merrillville
Joined Jan 2006
96 Posts
ok, that's weird...

You sure you don't mistakenly have some mixing enabled in you radio settings?

The other scenario is maybe you are moving the rudder slightly with your thumb when giving power. (this happens to me sometime with my elevator. i go up elevator but my thumb moves the ailerons a bit on accident.

I have 3dhs edge. and no issues with rudder moving except when my thumb is sometimes dumb :P
unitoo1 is offline Find More Posts by unitoo1
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:42 PM
Joined Apr 2012
26 Posts
Ok so I am not crazy. It is weird

I checked the mixes and flipped the switches and nothing changes. Good news is I am not flying it with the radio I was using for testing. I have a futaba on order and awaiting shipment.

I know it's not me moving the stick because if I let o and leave the throttle up the rudder stays kicked to the right if you looking from the motor to the tail.

Glad to know that it is not normal
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:51 PM
Joined Jan 2006
96 Posts
just for the heck of it...

go into your radio settings and make a new model. do a full reset on that model then
bind that to your receiver and test again

Then let us know.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:19 PM
Joined Apr 2012
26 Posts
So in response to unitoo1.

I went ahead and cleared the radio and setup as a new model. Not luck same result. Needless to say I need some new gear.

I did have some fun running my 42" slick down the street wingless testing the motor and rudder alignment. Even though the rudder kick off to the right when adding throttle I managed to get it all squared away and running perfectly straight.

I am a little amp'd to get his thing in the air but am taking my time in getting it all squared away. Still waiting on one more servo and new radio gear. Hope to get this in maiden flight mid May or a little sooner.
Sadly for now, its just hanging on my garage wall looking good
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:46 PM
Glens Falls, NY
Joined Apr 2010
1,296 Posts
So the rudder is still moving with the throttle? What radio are you using?
TG43 is offline Find More Posts by TG43
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:00 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,007 Posts
My guess is you are not moving th stick in a straight manner and are inducing a little bit of rudder without realizing it. You should be able to adjust the side to side tension on the stick so you will feel any resistance if you are accidentally adding rudder without knowing it. You may have to add a lot of tension to help prevent this. I tend to do the same thing on the right stick and would add aileron unintentionally when using the elevator. I added a lot of tension for the side to side motion and this eliminated the problem.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:37 PM
Joined Apr 2012
26 Posts
TG43. Yes it is still moving the rudder. It's my old Dynam 2.4 from an old heli 450. I am 100% positive it's is set correctly.

Jetinteriorguy. It's not me moving left or right. I can push the throttle up and take my hands off and it stays.

Installed the radio gear back into my nitro plane and it does the same thing. Either I have a bad radio or a bad receiver. New one is on order so it really does not matter much weird though as it worked fine in my heli last month.

I should take video of it and post.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 03:38 AM
Joined Jan 2006
96 Posts
Hmm.. I know u got new gear on the way but... I would love to hear what the manufacture of your gear would say.

Mabye you should contact them to get a answer. Just so we know what exactly is defective.

Would be good Info just to know.
Please keep us informed

And I can't wait to see ur maiden!
I just had my 3rd day on my 41 3dhs edge. And I'm in love. So I know u will be too !!
Old Apr 28, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Apr 2012
26 Posts
Well its a cheap dynamo radio. Good news is that my Spekturm arrived today and its installed! With no issues

Now I think I have a bad lipo pack as I had it charged fully and did a test run with the prop on and it runs for a min or so and cuts out. Cut the throttle and give it a sec and go back to half and it runs for a bit then cuts out. Don't have another to test so I wait yet again UGH!!! When will I stop spending money LOL.

Did manage to get it to hover in my driveway. Seems the CG is right on the money when upright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitoo1 View Post
Hmm.. I know u got new gear on the way but... I would love to hear what the manufacture of your gear would say.
!!
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:23 PM
Joined Nov 2007
26 Posts
Sounds like some kind of heli mix to add tail rotor as you bring up the collective/power.
frugalme is offline Find More Posts by frugalme
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:53 PM
Joined Jan 2006
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalme View Post
Sounds like some kind of heli mix to add tail rotor as you bring up the collective/power.
Good idea!

Was your dynamo transmitter in helicopter mode?

Also glad to hear your spectrum is working good!
Now we need vids of that hover. Hehe

And yes. That's what a bad battery does ;(. It sounds like its old or was puffed or something.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Apr 2012
26 Posts
Pretty sure it was not in heli mode. But who knows. It did come with the heli

I wasn't going to fly the slick with it. Mainly used it to get the servos some what centered.

The lipo is about a year old. My friend is going to swing by tomorrow and see if his charger can bring it back to life. He has been running lipos for a few years and knows all about them. Me, I was more of a gas/nitro guy converting to electric

I will see what I can do video wise. Only had about 60 to 90 seconds on the battery so didn't want to push it

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitoo1 View Post
Good idea!

Was your dynamo transmitter in helicopter mode?

And yes. That's what a bad battery does ;(. It sounds like its old or was puffed or something.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:59 AM
Joined Jan 2006
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3drcflyer View Post
Pretty sure it was not in heli mode. But who knows. It did come with the heli

I wasn't going to fly the slick with it. Mainly used it to get the servos some what centered.

The lipo is about a year old. My friend is going to swing by tomorrow and see if his charger can bring it back to life. He has been running lipos for a few years and knows all about them. Me, I was more of a gas/nitro guy converting to electric

I will see what I can do video wise. Only had about 60 to 90 seconds on the battery so didn't want to push it
Ok, I am now dying to know if it was in heli mode
You gotta check for us

I have had batteries do the same thing over time... Here are a few causes.
1) drained the battery to low during flight
2) did not balance the battery during charging process repeatedly.
3) storing the battery for sometime while the battery is charged.
4) a impact of some sort to the battery.
5) probably something else I forgot
Last edited by unitoo1; Apr 29, 2012 at 03:10 AM.