HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:55 AM
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Well I finally got to maiden my Atom.

First time out it got far too windy by the time I got to the field (trying to find calmer gaps in the windy weather) but I took it up anyway....probably not a good idea since it's the first time i've flown anything fixed wing. Struggled to make headway into the wind at full throttle and ended in the inevitable cartwheel.

Took it out the following morning when the wind was nice and calm and it was beautiful, so relaxing to zip that thing around the sky. I was worried that I wouldn't enjoy it due to the lack of Ailerons (after trying a similar one on a sim) but actually it was more responsive than I expected.

It's a little underpowered and it pulls right quite badly under full power (something I hope I can mix out on the radio) but great fun.
ColSonders is offline Find More Posts by ColSonders
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:01 PM
Registered Tea Fiend
United Kingdom, England, Pudsey
Joined Dec 2012
492 Posts
just a quick update about my Atom and damn Hobbyking, the faulty bent fuselage problem has now gone to be inspected by the warranty dept, trying to get a reply from them is like getting blood from a stone, I was told it would be 48h for them to reply,it's now a week later and now they say i will get a reply by the end of this week! So still no wiser and still without a flyable Atom, expecting them to want it sending back next for them to inspect it, with my luck I can just see that happening!
fraggs is online now Find More Posts by fraggs
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:17 PM
Leeds, UK
Joined Dec 2003
393 Posts
Took my atom out for the first time this year, also the first try of the 500mAh batteries I bought. Got around 15min flight time, only used one as my.hands were cold so I went home :-P still not quite sorted out the pull to the right.
sidneylopsides is offline Find More Posts by sidneylopsides
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:39 PM
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneylopsides View Post
Took my atom out for the first time this year, also the first try of the 500mAh batteries I bought. Got around 15min flight time, only used one as my.hands were cold so I went home :-P still not quite sorted out the pull to the right.
I mixed 10% rudder into my throttle and it seemed to do the trick for me.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:49 PM
United States, WI, Muskego
Joined Sep 2012
849 Posts
Hopefully it warms up here as we'll, as I'd like to get my dad out to maiden the Atom I built for him. I raised the pod about 1/3" and gave it a brushless motor. The battery is a 500mAh and I decided to set it up with a 5x3x3 prop. The third blade will hopefully give it a much needed boost compared to a 2 blade. If nothing else it looks good!
Joker 53150 is online now Find More Posts by Joker 53150
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:13 AM
Leeds, UK
Joined Dec 2003
393 Posts
I don't think my transmitter is that fancy, just a Flysky one.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:42 AM
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneylopsides View Post
I don't think my transmitter is that fancy, just a Flysky one.
If you don't have a computer radio that allows you to do mixes like this then there's really not a lot you can do about it.

The reason is pulls to that side is because of the torque of the motor from my understanding of it, the faster the motor spins that prop the more the whole aircraft is being pulled along with it.

You'd probably get even stranger behaviour by trying to "fix" the thrust line by physically adjusting the angle of the motor.

So it's probably going to be a case of learning to add a little left rudder when you up the throttle.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:46 AM
Leeds, UK
Joined Dec 2003
393 Posts
I've got used to that, rudder and throttle.
Mine does tend to pull quite strongly even if I bring the motor to idle, I've even got about 5mm left rudder as neutral.
Looking last night I noticed the motor isn't straight, its facing slightly right when looking from above.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:42 PM
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
So, if I wanted a cheap performance upgrade and wanted to simply grab myself a better prop, what would I be looking for and how would I attach it? Would I need extra hardware to attach it?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:06 PM
United States, WI, Muskego
Joined Sep 2012
849 Posts
You would need a prop adapter and a prop. The stock prop is pressed onto the shaft, so I'm not certain an adapter would work well. I'm sure others have found a way to make that stock motor work well.
Joker 53150 is online now Find More Posts by Joker 53150
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:45 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2008
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSonders View Post
So, if I wanted a cheap performance upgrade and wanted to simply grab myself a better prop, what would I be looking for and how would I attach it? Would I need extra hardware to attach it?
GWS 4x3 + prop adaptor to suit (2mm?? from memory )
old prop just pulls off

best upgrade is a brushless motor.
edit: actually this is the best upgrade :-)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18473
1101 is offline Find More Posts by 1101
Last edited by 1101; Jan 18, 2013 at 01:50 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:12 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,224 Posts
+1 for the Vector 850. Heaps better than the Atom but the Atom is still fun once upgraded to a brushless set up and ailerons and better at slower speeds so can be flown in tighter spots. However, once you have added a brushless esc you have probably spent more than the Vector
Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:32 PM
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
145 Posts
I guess I just ruined my ESC. Yesterday when I arrived my flying site I realized that my receiver was not bound to TX. I made a wrong decision - I used a car key to short the ground and signal on receiver to enter the "BIND" mode. As you may imagine, I accidently shorted the signal and positive pole which made my ESC stop working. I checked the servos and motor and they are fine. The receiver is also good. Now I am looking for an ESC that can be used in this little guy.

Anyone has any clue what ESC I can use here? Thanks in advance!

btw, I saw a guy selling his Multiplex Permax 400 motor and X-16 Speed Control. Does it work with my motor?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1806946
neosunrise is offline Find More Posts by neosunrise
Last edited by neosunrise; Jan 19, 2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:41 PM
Silly n00b
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2011
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neosunrise View Post
I guess I just ruined my ESC. Yesterday when I arrived my flying site I realized that my receiver was not bound to TX. I made a wrong decision - I used a car key to short the ground and signal on receiver to enter the "BIND" mode. As you may imagine, I accidently shorted the signal and positive pole which made my ESC stop working. I checked the servos and motor and they are fine. The receiver is also good. Now I am looking for an ESC that can be used in this little guy.

Anyone has any clue what ESC I can use here? Thanks in advance!

btw, I saw a guy selling his Multiplex Permax 400 motor and X-16 Speed Control. Does it work with my motor?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1806946
The Atom uses a small brushed motor, so I would guess the brushed ESC you linked should work - my knowledge of brushed motor/speed control combinations is limited so YMMV.

Here's a new one that's somewhat heavy, but it's cheaper than the combo you linked. Rotsa Ruck.
TuMadre is offline Find More Posts by TuMadre
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:52 PM
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuMadre View Post
The Atom uses a small brushed motor, so I would guess the brushed ESC you linked should work - my knowledge of brushed motor/speed control combinations is limited so YMMV.

Here's a new one that's somewhat heavy, but it's cheaper than the combo you linked. Rotsa Ruck.
Thank you Rosta. They ESC you mentioned looks really good but the shipping cost kills the deal. Hobbyking charges $6.85 for a 39gram package!
neosunrise is offline Find More Posts by neosunrise