Ornithoid with passive articulated adaptive wing

http://velkovelkov.blogspot.com/2011...ticulated.html
Velko Velkov is offline Find More Posts by Velko Velkov
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2011, 04:37 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,448 Posts
Velko,

Do you still think the midway hinges with the upward spring load is the way to go? Personally I don't think they provide the right phasing conducive for flight. I can see the spring loaded hinge system working ONLY if there is a mechanical "kick" making the tips go down at the end of the downstroke BEFORE the wings begin the upstroke. The tips need to impart energy to the downstroke at the end of the downstroke, not just rely on passive flexing on the upstroke. This could be accomplished by the addition of a trip lever.

Now I await for you to tell me how wrong I am.
Kinkade is offline Find More Posts by Kinkade
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:57 AM
Joined Sep 2007
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinkade View Post
Velko,

Do you still think the midway hinges with the upward spring load is the way to go? Personally I don't think they provide the right phasing conducive for flight. I can see the spring loaded hinge system working ONLY if there is a mechanical "kick" making the tips go down at the end of the downstroke BEFORE the wings begin the upstroke. The tips need to impart energy to the downstroke at the end of the downstroke, not just rely on passive flexing on the upstroke. This could be accomplished by the addition of a trip lever.

Now I await for you to tell me how wrong I am.
Sean,

I think the Problem is transition upward - downward, not downward - upward.
The Gravity (and contrary stream) is cause and condition for my design.
Velko Velkov is offline Find More Posts by Velko Velkov
Last edited by Velko Velkov; Nov 22, 2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:24 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,448 Posts
I don't think I understand what you mean.

My take on the sprung wing tips is that they snap forces UP instead of down. Like a screen door on a house slamming shut, the tip starts slow and then accelerates as it snaps straight because of the tension spring.
Kinkade is offline Find More Posts by Kinkade
Last edited by Kinkade; Nov 22, 2011 at 12:30 PM.