SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 22, 2014, 01:19 PM
United States, HI, Kaneohe
Joined Sep 2014
45 Posts
Wow, right on Lee. I didn't know you supplied all that misc. stuff in the kit. Thanks, that's makes it really easy.
Dave
Crazy Dave is offline Find More Posts by Crazy Dave
Last edited by Crazy Dave; Nov 22, 2014 at 01:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2014, 03:55 AM
United States, HI, Kaneohe
Joined Sep 2014
45 Posts
Great day at the RC park with a new paint job.
Dave
Crazy Dave is offline Find More Posts by Crazy Dave
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:03 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,254 Posts
I really want to go flying with you. I really like your weather better!!!
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM
Joined May 2009
314 Posts
Alright, all built up and about ready to start mounting electronics, but finding that a lot of nose weight is needed (as you all predicted) to get a proper CG.

Total weight (everything but battery) is ~245 grams. Battery brought it up to about 290 grams.

Thinking about moving the servos way up, mounting them either under or in front of the wings. Don't love this idea, as it means longer pushrods--but I make those out of carbon fiber so they're pretty light. Also it means I am not "using" all of the servo wire--it will have to 'bunched up' near the receiver. Seems like a bit of a waste--but would probably help push the CG forward.

I still look at that rear fuselage and think a few clean holes through it would probably help remove a bit of weight without sacrificing much strenghth. I have a set of 'cork borers' (just sharp tubes, really) that would probably make a good clean cut.

Also planning on swapping out the "EZ connectors" that were included...I have some lighter ones. But this kind of stuff seems like drops in the bucket...
doughpat is offline Find More Posts by doughpat
Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,871 Posts
When the bucket is hanging off the back end of your plane, every drop will help.

How far back do you have the main wing?
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Yesterday, 11:42 PM
Joined May 2009
314 Posts
Nice analogy, Denial!

I've got the wooden rods mounted exactly as per the instructions (can't remember exactly where that is now--not in front of the plane).

I had read something about moving the wing forward--does that entail making a new slit and gluing in the dowels further toward the nose? If so, how much further forward?
doughpat is offline Find More Posts by doughpat
Old Today, 08:57 AM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,871 Posts
Yeah, the CG is relative to the position of the wing. I put my wing on last. I measure where everything goes and I adjust the wing to get the correct center of gravity. Once the CG is where it needs to be, then I do the slits and put the dowels on. My guess is you would just need to have the wing farther back.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Today, 12:57 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,254 Posts
Moving the wing back effects control on a rudder elevator control plane. It will still work but it is better to lighten the tail.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee