HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2012, 03:44 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodeller free flight plans

Hi,
Looking at two 1980’s AEROMODELLERS this time and coming up with a couple of very nice full size scale CO2 plans.

To the October 1980 edition with the cover featuring Japan’s T. Hara with his famous Super Hurricane design competing in the 1980 World Control Line Championship.

To the first scale CO2 plans for the 1912 FLANDERS F3. But for a Royal Flying Corps ban on monoplanes it would have seen service during WW1.

This is the work of W.D. BINNS who was taken with the original when he found the drawings in Kenneth Munson’s book Pioneer Aircraft.

Building should present no problems and trimming advice recommends the use of a small piece of ClingFilm for added stability.

Next to one of the classic fighter aircraft of WW1 the SOPWITH TRIPLANE.

J.R. LATHAM’s CO2 model certainly looks the part with construction as near to scale as possible including riblets.

I think to see a free flight Triplane puttering about at scale speed would be a delight. The designer says it has forgiving flight characteristics.

Finally to AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED and DAVID OGILVY examines the PARNALL PIXIE.

Cheers

Algy
algy2 is offline Find More Posts by algy2
Last edited by algy2; Jun 15, 2012 at 10:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:11 AM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,405 Posts
The Dornier 215 was 46" control line by Cesare Milan for a total of 4cc and came from the Aeromodeller May 1956.
I suppose you would like a scan?
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:57 AM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swankee View Post
Hey Folks,
I hope everybody is doing well.
Wanted to throw out a quick request for Dornier Do.17 and/or Do.215 plans.

There was a small jpg. put up ages ago on the vintage thread but it is too small to do anything with. It came from Aeromodeller but the jpg. is so small I can't read the date.

Another Dornier came from Model Aircraft - but again, I don't have a date. If I remember correctly, I had seen an advert. for it from a page of the Nov.1962 Model Aircraft... which leads me to believe that it was in a mag before that date??? I also think it was a Control Line model?

Gluehand and any other Swedes & Norwegians out there... Happy Mid-Sommer next Friday.
Later, Swankee

AeroMed... Good stuff! Thanks
Dornier 215 was in Aeromodeller May 1956. not an issue I have but the FF plans from it have already been posted by Algy. as it is a C/L model it was not included. Perhaps we can cajole Algy or RFJ into digging out that issue and posting a scan it the C/L thread

DO17 was the Aircraft described in Aeromodeller October 1969 and has already been posted by Algy http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=307

cannot find any Do17 plan in the MA index but as it is not complete it may have been published

Myhobbystore only has one Do17z plan which is for 5 function R/C. RSQ1624 - Dornier Do 17z obviously from a quaterly mag were the plan may either been the free full size plan or if not probably printed in a format to make it unsuitable for scanning. That is either overlaid, small low res reproduction or only partial part of plan shown.
aeromeddeler is offline Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Last edited by aeromeddeler; Jun 15, 2012 at 05:09 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:38 PM
The Swedish Yankee
West coast of Sweden
Joined Dec 2010
120 Posts
Hey Kiwi -
Once again, Thanks for championing my cause. I would be grateful for an Algy or Kiwi Scan/post of the Dornier from May 1956.

Aeromeddeler - a.k.a. AeroMed - 'cuz we get Aeroplane Medicine from you... okay maybe that was weeney, but that is where that came from all the same.
Thanks for your precision on who, what and where.
Also - F.Y.I. I think the info I got about the MA mag was from you in one form or another - once again... "if memory serves"... I believe you had posted a control line Hurricane (maybe) from a 1962 MA and it had listed other CL aircraft from Model Aircraft mag. The Dornier Do.17 was in that list.
Maybe I just dreamed it... which would just be wierd.
It could be that it is Friday and I'm tilting back some ice cold Anchor Steam all the way from San Francisco. It's a darn good brew and if you can get your hands on it... get some.
Later, Swankee
Swankee is offline Find More Posts by Swankee
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:21 PM
United Kingdom, Tonbridge
Joined Oct 2011
195 Posts
Dornier 215

This is a bit out of my order but as I have the Do215 completed I thought it would be a good post for this weekend. I remember it being really good fun to draw up - especially the cabin detail in the middle. So, from the May 1956 Aeromodeller here is the Dornier 215 designed by Ceaser Milani who was well known for his scale models at the time. Just look at the detail in the article and it is easy to see why.

This model spans 44" and was designed around two ED 3.46 Hunters equipped with throttles. I can only imagine that they were the long stroke engines which are really nice engines, extremely tractable and reliable.

As always my disclaimer about being tracings of the original scans but, because of the detailed plan, this is much more relevant. Most of all enjoy.

Al
hogal is offline Find More Posts by hogal
Last edited by hogal; Jun 15, 2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Sorry folks - I thought I was in the CL forum!!!!!
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:57 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Last edited by hogal; Today at 10:22 PM. Reason: Sorry folks - I thought I was in the CL forum!!!!!

ARGHHHHHH C/L model in the free flight thread whatever next RTP, RC BOATS!!!!!!.

Never mind Hogal as its such a nice plan we will forgive you this time. I expect you were dreaming of getting together $250,000 to buy a nice new Brough Superior or just feeling down at not being able to see the Norton at the senior TT.
aeromeddeler is offline Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Oct 2011
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromeddeler View Post
Last edited by hogal; Today at 10:22 PM. Reason: Sorry folks - I thought I was in the CL forum!!!!!

ARGHHHHHH C/L model in the free flight thread whatever next RTP, RC BOATS!!!!!!.

Never mind Hogal as its such a nice plan we will forgive you this time. I expect you were dreaming of getting together $250,000 to buy a nice new Brough Superior or just feeling down at not being able to see the Norton at the senior TT.
I saw the bit about the Brough on the television and very nice it was too. Those new Norton's look really nice to - and they do one in yellow and black (colours for which I am a sucker). Not to worry just keep on dreaming. I've already booked for next years TT - maybe the Norton's will start to replicate the glories of the past!!!

Thanks for forgiving me as well but I may get another telling off for talking motorbikes
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:24 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,550 Posts
hogal worried:"... I may get another telling off for talking motorbikes"

Don't see any problem talking about "retrieval vehicles". Got to ride a Triumph Cub when I was a younger (1960's). IIRC, it was a sweet ride. Saw one restored at a hot rod ralley, few years ago. It was forsale, but it was still definitely outside of my means!
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Jun 16, 2012, 03:52 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,517 Posts
A Vincent Black Lightning would be my choice........Or a Shadow may do?
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:15 AM
Perth WA
Joined Feb 2007
1,041 Posts
A fan of Richard Thompson me thinks Gossie?
Modelholic is offline Find More Posts by Modelholic
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:16 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodeller free flight plans

Hi,
To the January 1993 AEROMODELLER and on the cover is David Barker with his 1941 Bernie Gross “TOUCHE” flying wing.

Two full size free flight plans to pass along the first being CHRIS EDWARD'S “FORTUNE” a pleasant 24 inch low wing model for “baby” diesels.

Ideal for small field flying it could easily be adapted to CO2 or electric.

Next was PERSEY by AL BACKSTROM an intriguing model for tailless fans.

Al said the layout was actually inspired by the Zanonia seed. For rubber power construction is traditional stick and tissue.

Cheers

Algy
algy2 is offline Find More Posts by algy2
Old Jun 16, 2012, 06:10 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modelholic View Post
A fan of Richard Thompson me thinks Gossie?
I'm a fan of John Raitt's daughter with Richard as well.......
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Jun 16, 2012, 06:33 PM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
United States, TX, Sweetwater
Joined Mar 2005
1,616 Posts
Hogal, you'd be best to stay out of NTC! Otherwise, there will not be any taxi cabs left!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogal View Post
Those new Norton's look really nice to - and they do one in yellow and black (colours for which I am a sucker).
challenger_i is offline Find More Posts by challenger_i
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:38 PM
Pan Pan Pan
Arizona
Joined Feb 2003
396 Posts
Aeromeddler,

Thanks for posting the plans! I might give the Holste Broussard a go and make it RC. I just ran across one for sale on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1957-...item4604abc04a

The model will be much more within my price range!

Thanks again!
Harri3 is offline Find More Posts by Harri3
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:37 AM
Joined Oct 2011
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
Hogal, you'd be best to stay out of NTC! Otherwise, there will not be any taxi cabs left!

Your cabs only have two wheels