HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:23 PM
President @ Acadian RC Club
Lafayette, Louisiana
Joined Dec 2005
1,239 Posts
New Product
HobbyKing - Electric Fiberglass Pylon Racer

Anyone used this plane yet? If so can I get it as fast as the Voodoo without breaking it?

Link:
RED..http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Red_ARF_.html

BLUE..http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Blue_ARF_.html

Video:
HobbyKing - Electric Fiberglass Pylon Racer Kit (8 min 44 sec)

VOODOO:
RC.Voodoo, Extreme sound of speed. (0 min 47 sec)
jonathan7x70 is offline Find More Posts by jonathan7x70
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:27 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,277 Posts
Read here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...berglass+pylon

Bill
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:29 PM
Lafayette, Louisiana
Joined Dec 2005
1,239 Posts
thanks! was looking for that
Old Aug 14, 2011, 02:08 PM
Plane and multirotor's - FPV
Moss, Norway
Joined Jun 2007
856 Posts
Link to the longest thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840038

Kai
DrEvil is offline Find More Posts by DrEvil
Old Aug 15, 2011, 01:50 AM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7x70 View Post
lol the Voodoo is a quality pylon the other is just a toy i know witch one i would pick
Adrian_M is offline Find More Posts by Adrian_M
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 15, 2011, 04:27 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
yeah, but the HK racer is 10 times nicer to look at..

sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Aug 15, 2011, 04:31 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
yeah, but the HK racer is 10 times nicer to look at..

i guess it depends what you want i think his question is can it go as fast as a voodoo the answer is NO
Old Aug 16, 2011, 01:34 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Jun 2011
118 Posts
I agree the HK Pylon is a good looking plane, but not compareable to the Voodoo in speed and performance. I can only compare the HK Pylon to a Sokol, if I were to have identical setups in both it would be no contest, the Sokol is a much more slippery plane.

The HK Pylon isn't a bad plane, cheap and requires a bit of extra work to keep it together for regular use. I have really enjoyed mine.

QDRevenger.
QDRevenger is offline Find More Posts by QDRevenger
Old Aug 16, 2011, 04:51 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
Well it depens on how you see it....

The Voodoo is a pylon YES, but it will only take "normally" a 3s lipo and a mega 16/25/2, and the speeds you get is around 160mph,, you could always go further, but then its getting heavy and there is a chance of getting flutter and other problems..

The HK racer can easy take 4s lipos, that means easy 2000 watts, and with a right motor (mega 16/40/x), and a propp around 6", maybee 6.5", then I think it will be faster and more powerfull(better thrust/acceleration), compared to a "normal" voodoo.

not a big differance, but the HK racer will NOT be slower..

Of course, money wise and power wise, the Voodoo, SOKOL or any pylon will Always be faster, but thats another subject..
Old Aug 16, 2011, 06:19 AM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
Well it depens on how you see it....

The Voodoo is a pylon YES, but it will only take "normally" a 3s lipo and a mega 16/25/2, and the speeds you get is around 160mph,, you could always go further, but then its getting heavy and there is a chance of getting flutter and other problems..

The HK racer can easy take 4s lipos, that means easy 2000 watts, and with a right motor (mega 16/40/x), and a propp around 6", maybee 6.5", then I think it will be faster and more powerfull(better thrust/acceleration), compared to a "normal" voodoo.

not a big differance, but the HK racer will NOT be slower..

Of course, money wise and power wise, the Voodoo, SOKOL or any pylon will Always be faster, but thats another subject..
would love to see a hk racer do 160 mph maybe you can show us
Old Aug 16, 2011, 09:02 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,389 Posts
I wanna see a 16/40 in one of those things, I could imagine the layers of polyurethaned glass peeling off at a high rate of knots

You cant really compare the two, the Miro urban voodoo is a thoroughbred, very high quality speed400 pylon, the HK thing... well... it isnt

If you wanna go faster than a 16/15/2 on 3S, with only 33" thin wing, voodoo, there is something wrong with you! I never was able to get a radar gun reading on mine, too small for the cheap radars, but got a pretty good eye for guesstimating speeds. With a good run up and shallow dive, 180mph wouldnt be out of the question, flying a tight pylon style circuit, ~160mph.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Last edited by jackosmeister; Aug 16, 2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:55 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
I didnt say anything about quality, I know the voodoo is very nice build.. but if you do some mods with the HK racer, like better motormount, 2 servos in ving, etc.. I see no problems at all reaching 160mph, you could do that with a smaller 16/30 or 16/25 mega motor also.. If my funjet can reach almost 160mph, I see no reason this HK racer wouldnt. Its a faster airframe.. I am talking about straight and level speeds here.....

I know, its not every mans work, trying to get this one go 160, just saying its doable....

I will only fly my HK racer with 3s 500watts, thats mostly for fun, I have no reason make it go faster, I have my Xplane and Viper if I want to have straight up speed and levelspeed
Last edited by sebbe; Aug 16, 2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:03 PM
Lafayette, Louisiana
Joined Dec 2005
1,239 Posts
I have no one to race with.. I will be the only one with a fast plane. max MPH isnt a big deal just want it to go fast for cheap. Sounds like the HK racer with a the set up they say to use or a little more will get plenty fast runs like over 100mph with not killing batteries getting there.

I want to go fast, be easy on equipment, keep the cost down to just throw the thing in the back of the car for a quick flight or two after work in the evenings. I wouldnt mind putting money into it for a F5J or F5B I think pylon racer but dont want to be the lone ranger either.. my buddies are heli freaks and 3D hobby shop type of guys.

Thanks Guys! ... I am on the waiting list and as soon as the HK racer comes back into stock im getting one. Nice servos with a better than what they say motor just a little, and keeping it on 3S1P 2200's.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 03:01 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Jun 2011
118 Posts
Quote:
I could imagine the layers of polyurethaned glass peeling off at a high rate of knots
Funny you say that, the thin clear film over the blue on the wings peeled off mine on 4S with a 2W-20.

You got a 16/40? Lets try it

QDRevenger.
QDRevenger is offline Find More Posts by QDRevenger
Old Aug 17, 2011, 08:03 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,389 Posts
I would be keen... but really dont wanna see my 16/40/1 go into orbit, while leaving a pile of cheap pylon racer to come fluttering back down to earth
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister