SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 22, 2003, 06:36 PM
Blacksburg Virginia, Virginia, United States
Joined Jun 2003
53 Posts
"Break In" new motors?

I just received my Spitfire kit and remember from my days of building the Tiger Moth that some suggested breaking in the motor by running small amounts of current through the motor for a while. I discharged a 'AA' battery on my unloaded motor for it's break in period. Supposed to help seat the brushes I believe. Is this something I should consider for the 300C motor that came with the Spit?

Also, what about retiming the motor? I have read on that a little, is that something I need to do also for the Spit?
The Thumper is offline Find More Posts by The Thumper
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2003, 07:47 PM
Torrance, CA
Joined May 2003
1,680 Posts
Don't know about retiming, but you should run a 4 cell pack on the motor several times before trying to fly the plane. You shouldn't do it with a load for the first pack or two, and slowly work your way up with a prop on it until you get to the prop that you are planning on using. It does help out the motor in the long run.
JDMstuff is offline Find More Posts by JDMstuff