Old Jul 11, 2015, 05:52 PM
Find More Posts by scootrb4
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,686 Posts
Discussion
Robart valve trouble

Is it just me? I've been having leak-down trouble with the last couple of valves. I even put a seal kit in one and lost air in 15 minutes.
Is it possible I am adjusting them down to where they are too soft (slow) and that is causing problems?
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2015, 10:03 PM
Find More Posts by dave steffan
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
Hi, check your air cylinders first.
When the retract system go's up or down the waist air from the retract cylinders expels through the valve. When the retract system is not being used it looks like the valve is leaking but its just slowly draining from the cylinders.
I had the same problem but after scratching my head for a couple of days traced it back to the cylinders.
For me i always make my complete retract system removable to trace leaks underwater.
Also a detergent froth and a paint brush painted round connections is an old trick.
I wire on all connections and pump mine to 120 Pounds.
Dave.
dave steffan is offline Find More Posts by dave steffan
Old Jul 12, 2015, 07:21 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,686 Posts
I use a Windex spray bottle for in plane tests. It has enough soap to make bubbles if there is a leak. I think I made some progress. It seems I reduced leaks by opening up the needle screw settings. Maybe a problem with having them too low (slow)? Will try again today.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 05:48 PM
Find More Posts by aghost
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Mar 2005
107 Posts
I have a pair of extension connections so I can do leak checks with the wings off and the fuse open. I use Robart air lines which are transparent. Put a few drops of light oil in the air system, pump it up to pressure and watch the oil move. It heads for the leak.
aghost is online now Find More Posts by aghost
Old Jul 12, 2015, 09:02 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aghost View Post
I have a pair of extension connections so I can do leak checks with the wings off and the fuse open. I use Robart air lines which are transparent. Put a few drops of light oil in the air system, pump it up to pressure and watch the oil move. It heads for the leak.
Good idea
Old Jul 13, 2015, 04:20 PM
Find More Posts by aghost
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Mar 2005
107 Posts
If you do the oil thing, it helps to cycle the gear a few times to distribute the oil throughout the system.
aghost is online now Find More Posts by aghost
Old Jul 13, 2015, 09:47 PM
Find More Posts by dave steffan
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
If the valve leaks after it has finished exhausting either the up or down air .
You can test with the bubbles, then the air bubbles can only come from one place and that is past the "O" rings in the retract cylinders.
Oiling may help.
On one of my aircraft where i needed maximum lift i ran the retract valve without the screws in.
Dave.
dave steffan is offline Find More Posts by dave steffan
Last edited by dave steffan; Jul 13, 2015 at 10:06 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:22 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave steffan View Post
If the valve leaks after it has finished exhausting either the up or down air .
You can test with the bubbles, then the air bubbles can only come from one place and that is past the "O" rings in the retract cylinders.
Oiling may help.
On one of my aircraft where i needed maximum lift i ran the retract valve without the screws in.
Dave.
Oh - didn't know you could do that?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 01:32 PM
Find More Posts by pretendpilot
cuz real planes cost too much
USA, CO, Frederick
Joined Jan 2011
918 Posts
i had a similar problem but mine would NOT leak on the ground. i even tested after overnight without leak, but the system lost air pressure in flight (AHHH!) trying to trace it down, i did note that it occurred after i slowed the gear movement to very slow. so i adjusted them to go a little faster. that seemed to cure it.
pretendpilot is online now Find More Posts by pretendpilot
Old Jul 21, 2015, 03:23 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,686 Posts
Well, I have two of these valves now that of gone to ****. One I put new seals in last week. At the time it held, now it's leaking out of both ends ???
My flying buddy is having similar troubles with one of his valves.
We bought rebuild kits. Installed them with no luck
I have ordered a different brand of valve.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 04:15 PM
Find More Posts by pretendpilot
cuz real planes cost too much
USA, CO, Frederick
Joined Jan 2011
918 Posts
well, at the risk of sounding like im insulting your experience, is your servo rod/arm pushing and pulling the actuator rod STRAIGHT in and out (no pressure sideways)? also, i read somewhere that you should (or was it should not?) go all the way to the stops (this may have been in the operating instructions for a different robart valve - green?).
i ordered a new one when i was having the problem, but haven't needed it. btw, the shaft on mine seems to have some minor scratches. not sure about that.
s what kind did you order?
pretendpilot is online now Find More Posts by pretendpilot
Old Jul 21, 2015, 04:43 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretendpilot View Post
well, at the risk of sounding like im insulting your experience, is your servo rod/arm pushing and pulling the actuator rod STRAIGHT in and out (no pressure sideways)? also, i read somewhere that you should (or was it should not?) go all the way to the stops (this may have been in the operating instructions for a different robart valve - green?).
i ordered a new one when i was having the problem, but haven't needed it. btw, the shaft on mine seems to have some minor scratches. not sure about that.
s what kind did you order?
That's okay. I believe there is nothing to be gained by going hard against the stops.
I went with this valve here. I read it has 4 seals vs 3 so maybe a better way to chamber it? I hope, it's working now.
Last edited by scootrb4; Jul 21, 2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 07:02 PM
Find More Posts by Cougar429
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
1,443 Posts
Did you check the tank fitting itself? Robart seems to have a problem there.
Cougar429 is online now Find More Posts by Cougar429