SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 11, 2015, 06:51 PM
Find More Posts by Adamskido76
United Kingdom, Harwich
Joined Nov 2014
898 Posts
Discussion
Wot4

If you guy's are ever thinking about buying the Chriss Foss Wot4 Foam-e as a high wing trainer then stop thinking and do it!

I was going to buy the HH DR as my 'next plane 'but got diverted to this amazing tail dragger by a friend of mine who when he started out learnt to fly on the older gas version and told me how great they are. He now has the Chriss Foss Acrowot Foam-e which is also awesome

I was a bit dubious at first because of my living situation at the mo as I don't have the space to store the bigger size planes safely yet hence the Skipper and AXN still in they boxes screaming to be set free! Soon guy's soon

I have the HH SCS Trainer and some of the 2cell ultra micros which come in their own carry box which is perfect for me right now and the winner was the fact the Wot4's wings unscrew so I could store it

I took it out for the first time a few weeks back and OMG I took off and it was a dream, I thought that it would not have much power but brushless and practically silent I can fly this at 5am in the local park and no worries but if I flew the Yak or Baby Stryker? Police would be their in a flash or some angry local who I woke up

I had only flown my W4 in little wind until today that is! My friend said it could handle 15-20 mph but I doubted it . I started out and it was 10-12mph and she took off into it not a flutter! This thing on the tamest settings and 75% rates is plenty flick it to 100% and it is awesome and that is with the rods in the tame holes! 1 battery down (2200 3cell)and the wind is picking up a bit but I thought why not!

Off she went and yes now I could see some wind effect but it was at least 15mph now and getting stronger all the time doing a loop with this thing is amazing and letting rip downwind! Oh yes this baby shifts and you can fly it nice and dreamy at a little over walking pace so landing this thing is a doddle I have only just realised who much fun taking off and landing is when you nail that landing and it looks like a real plane touching down wow what a buzz. Flight times on this bird are great as well, 10 min pushing it hard 12-15 with thrott management

I tried some wind surfing with her today and man she loves to float, I had her at a perfect stand still like a kite using the wind and a bit of throttle and she just looked majestic and then wot and she is away just awesome and highly recommended, If you watch some of the vids on youtube of her you will see such a wide flight envelope you will think all sorts had been done to it, she can even do a bit of 3D! By the time I finished it was easy 15-20mph and that is me being conservative and she blazed through it all and screamed for more haha

Happy windy flying days

Anyone got other wind loving planes they want to chat about then please do

WOT a plane

Adam

Adamskido76 is offline Find More Posts by Adamskido76
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM
Find More Posts by applewood
Joined Jan 2015
49 Posts
Hi Adam, my LHS recommended the wot4 mk2+ efoam. Apparently the design has been around for years, and has stood the test of time.

He was recommending this over the apprentice because its good to learn on but also has reasonable acrobatic ability. He described it as a plane for life. I had not seen much press about it until I found your post.

I'm looking at my next plane, either the Dr, apprentice or this. Are you still pleased?
applewood is online now Find More Posts by applewood
Old Today, 02:35 AM
Find More Posts by Adamskido76
United Kingdom, Harwich
Joined Nov 2014
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by applewood View Post
Hi Adam, my LHS recommended the wot4 mk2+ efoam. Apparently the design has been around for years, and has stood the test of time.

He was recommending this over the apprentice because its good to learn on but also has reasonable acrobatic ability. He described it as a plane for life. I had not seen much press about it until I found your post.

I'm looking at my next plane, either the Dr, apprentice or this. Are you still pleased?
Hi aw, Yes the Wot4 mk2 is what I have and the + is even better! The design has been around for years and years and first started out as as gas balsa trainer before the foamie revolution and they tried to recreate the airframe and flying characteristics of the first and they have had great success . The difference between the 3 birds you mentioned ( other than safe ) is that the Wottie is a docile floaty dream at low throttle but turn it up and she has soooo much power all stock and can do almost any tricks if you have the skills even a bit of 3D!
I don't know if you have seen a few you tube clips but when I saw what it could do compared to the DR it was a no brainer for me but if you need safe on a plane or you prefer the Delta airframe ( like I do but I got a Skipper and UM Styker to play with! ) then get the DR, the problem I would have after buying a DR is it would soon become a chore with those slow brushed motors and I would soon want to go brushless which is not easy done but possible. Don't forget DR a lot smaller than APP and Wottie!

If they bring out a BL DR I will be in the Q

At the end of the day all 3 planes are awesome and I looked at buying all 3 and you know my choice lol Wot! will be yours?

All the best and let me know how u go.

Adam
Adamskido76 is offline Find More Posts by Adamskido76
Old Today, 02:53 AM
Find More Posts by Gian Young
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
137 Posts
If you are looking for a WOT4 by another name you must look at HK's Apprentice 64E. See the link below.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00mm_ARF_.html
Gian Young is offline Find More Posts by Gian Young
Old Today, 04:54 AM
Find More Posts by applewood
Joined Jan 2015
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamskido76 View Post

At the end of the day all 3 planes are awesome and I looked at buying all 3 and you know my choice lol Wot! will be yours?

Adam
Thanks so much for replying. Would you say that the wot4 can handle rough ground landing, or it built for prepared landing strips only? I'm cuurent looking for a reasonable sized field to fly. The current football field is OK for the champ, but wouldnt want to fly anything much bigger. The fields I've found are a bit rough so was thinking belly landing is probably more realistic, hence the question.

Would you say its slow enough to move up from the champ or is it too much to ask?

Too many choices, wish I could get all three!
applewood is online now Find More Posts by applewood