SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 04, 2015, 12:33 PM
Find More Posts by Utkinpol
Joined Apr 2015
166 Posts
Discussion
Telemetry via Taranis x9d external module?

Hi,

I am very new to Taranis, literaly just received this unit today.

I plan to use it with a x8r 16 channel module.
What I totally fail to understand is the actual set of limitations that x8r module has in regard of passing and transmitting telemetry.

I look at the samples of those hook-ups, for both APM and PixHawk - I found youtube showing how to flash APM to understand X8R protocol commands directly without additional transcoder module. PixHawk is a plug and play, so far so good.

I also got Teensy board to pass telemetry into X8R. Ok here too. That is how it goes onto Taranis screen.

What I do not understand is how we need to deal with a regular connection to mission planner software. Typical interface would be done via 3dr 915 MHz telemetry kit but it seems a bit retarded as we now have x8r in place.

Looking at the worst case scenario I see now that a same telemetry signal will need to go to MinimOSD, to 3dr 915Mhz telemetry transmitter AND to Teensy board and then into X8R.

Is there a way, any way, to use Teensy and X8R alone and then feed this signal into Taranis radio and then from extension port on Taranis into any local destination such as Mission Planner or anything else? Or for now we have to support 2 transmitters for same data? It looks odd.

Or am I missing something? Wasn`t Taranis supposed to be able to support telemetry receive/transmit both ways? What do I miss?
Utkinpol is offline Find More Posts by Utkinpol
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2015, 11:13 PM
Find More Posts by Utkinpol
Joined Apr 2015
166 Posts
Not a single response in a whole day? Is it really such an unsolvable problem?
There are no embedded systems engineers here who have Taranis and can explain details of the data stream it utilizes?
Utkinpol is offline Find More Posts by Utkinpol
Old May 05, 2015, 01:29 AM
Find More Posts by chly3001
Singapore
Joined Apr 2014
93 Posts
i'm no expert but for one i know for sure a day isn't a long day at all to wait for an answer to a problem.

as far as i know the taranis (or frsky in general) does not do connections to mission planner. u will still need your 915/433 radio to do that. so yes most of the time there are many radios on the copter. 2.4ghz control link, 5.8ghz video downlink and 433/915 telemetry to computer
chly3001 is online now Find More Posts by chly3001